Deathknight level 80 raiding specs

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Yea can spec without it at first, see if it really is to blame, still not sure really, KT was messy overall.

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
I thought I had discoevered that unholy blight made the game lagg yesterday. But it turned out to be some "#%#¤% java updater thingy (jqs.exe).

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Shockingly the Howling Blast cooldown is back, changes like this really makes me /facepalm about Blizzard, everyone could see it was ridiculously overpowered, just Blizzard needs a month to notice ><

OP
Ozzimandius

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
Can't say I didn't see it coming, but still a little disappointed. It was very dense of blizzard not to have seen the effect a no CD HB would have on an already overpowered spec.

I'm still trying DW out, in fact I got a bonecrusher crafted this morning and using the Grasscutter offhander in a 0/44/27 build. I'm going to have to repsec again though becasue it seems that Rime is too important not to have. I'll just have to get a macro that cancels freezing fog.
So far my DPS tends to hover around 3k self buffed on a dummy untill my gargoyle runs out, then goes down to about 2.7k. That's still well over 100dps more than with my 2 handed spec and it has a higher item level weapon, I dont beleive the dummy gets the extra 10% damage of Necrosis. Also lack a bit of hit in this gear which punishes my dps alot. But so far I like DW quite alot.

And I have discovered the 'Joy' of corpse explosion. It rocks:D

Btw, is morbidity still bugged? Cus if I can't spec it there's is no use trying a 0/33/38 DW build.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Yes Morbidity is still bugged and I've not seen a fix mentioned for the patch.

Corpse explosion is great, don't get all the people complaining about it, it only costs 1 point as well ><

Not even sure the new version is a buff, we'll see.

Neema

May 8, 2007
Ozzimandius said:
I'm still trying DW out, in fact I got a bonecrusher crafted this morning and using the Grasscutter offhander in a 0/44/27 build. I'm going to have to repsec again though becasue it seems that Rime is too important not to have. I'll just have to get a macro that cancels freezing fog.

Why cancel Freezing Fog? Free HB then cast an Obliterate after that - if you got Annihilation it's better, but still.
(I been DW on Grumous for a long time btw)

OP
Ozzimandius

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
When dps-ing in blood presence freezing fog tends to mess up my rotations. I simply don't have enough time to RP dump two frost strikes at the end of my rotation if I use freezing fog. That means it is a trade of between an obliterate and a frost strike. In a 0/44/27 setup you don't spec into annihilation because Obliterate isn't part of the dps rotation. Having three points in it just for use during HB procs and 3% extra crits on specials is not worth it imo.
The second argument is that Obliterate does low damage in DW even with the sigil ( and Ideally you would have sigil of haunted dreams pre 3.08 and the Icy touch sigil post 3.08) , lower then frost strike or Deathcoil.
Adding to that is that frost strike has more crit chance when talented.

After the patch ( if I don't spec back to 2 handed frost because of the Killing Machine and gargoyle nerf) it will probably be better to dps in unholy presence because you can dump about 4 frost strikes a rotation instead of 2. Then it IS benificial to use your freezing fog for free HB's because you have the time to use those runes for other abilities without it screwing up your rotation. But even then Obliterate is sub par to other dps abilities like icy touch in this spec.
In raids ( without unholy strength or mirror of truth procs ) I can get between 4.5k and 5.5 k icy touch crits. That's more damage then a slow mainhand obliterate crit for only one frost rune. Then you still have an unholy rune for a plague strike or a corpse explosion.

I'm pretty pleased overall with the DW atm, I did more dps then my two handed frost spec with worse gearing ( not enough hit rating to reach spell hit cap and naxx 10 equivalent mace and sword) and it's fun to play. I still need to improve my rotation timing in blood presence and be more selective of when to use the gargoyle.
But I'm not too optimistic for DW after the next patch. Turning KM into a 5 PPM ( that's 6 guaranteed crits evey other minute for HB,FS or IT if you talent Deathchill ) ability and halving the duration of gargoyle + nerfing it's dps by 20% is going to hurt DW alot. I'm getting far more than 5 procs per minute atm resulting in sick aoe dps.
Two handed frost is getting buffed quite substantially in terms of glyphs and I believe the KM PPM is also a slight buff for that build. But we'll see, If DW continues to be as good or slightly better than 2 handed frost next patch I think I'll stick with it. Either way I'll be very happy to be able to dps in unholy presence in either spec. Blood presence makes me mash my buttons too much :(

Jai

May 4, 2008
Blood/Unholy Hybrid Tank Build (Crap DPS/Below average TPS)
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla .... 1200100000

Is my new tanking build I am trying out.

Survivability owns my old unholy spec by a mile.

Would not advise this build for anything other than fights where you get time to build up agro.

Sick of my Ghoul dying constantly or pathing messing up and it randomly vanishing. :(

OP
Ozzimandius

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
Post patch some things have surprised me.
Two-handed frost has stagnated and is not worth speccing into anymore (although I've seen a 0/44/27 build that is meant for 2 handed dps, could be intresting )
DW dps, more specifically the one I have (0/ 44/27) has improved. I didn't expect this but my dps wihtout gargoyle has gone from 2.6k- 2.7k to 2.750-2.9k. Gargoyle being berfed I can't reach 3.2-3.3k when it's up, but being able to spam frost strike while it's up now compensates for that to such a degree that I can peak at about 3.1-3.150 k on average.

The new IT and FS glyphs allow me to generate an insane amount of runic power with a DW rotation that I often find I can fill all my GCD's in unholy presence. This is also helped by being able to use my Rime procs now. Every time Rime procs I can do an extra IT (I leave the unholy rune alone, as PS is total crap and I sometimes don't have the GCD for it. ), resulting in more Rime procs, resulting in more IT''s.
the main weakness of this spec has been and still is having a Ghoul without Night of the Dead. Ghoul dps is about 500-600 of my total so it takes away a huge chunk of my damage if it dies. This weakness has somewhat been improved by the new Glyph of the ghoul ( raid buffed it has almost as much health as I do) so it should die less. In fights like sarth+3 however I might as well blow it up for an extra 5k damage every 5 minutes.

I've also found in my Dps test that double rune of the fallen crusader is more benificial than Fallen crusader + cinderglacier. Can anyone confirm that 2x Fallen crusader increase proc rates?

Jai

May 4, 2008
Blood tanking build (Great DPS/TPS, Semi good for AoE)
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla .... 0000000000

Been testing this build out, TPS is insane, DPS is the most solid I have seen, as opposed to the last build I linked. The rotation is also so easy. Still want to test it with AoE tanking.

Changed out all my major Glyphs last night as so far this is the best spec for dps/tank hybrid. Unholy will still outperform for AoE tanking imo. Also changing some avoidance for hit/exp. Insane amounts of Def now.

Glyphs are:
Rune Strike, Icy Touch and Vampiric Blood.

Roatation:
PS - IT - HS - HS - DS - DS - HS - HS - HS - HS - HS - HS

Had 1600 dps on a target dummy, not using RS in tank gear. Never short on RP either, and its ace fun in pvp.

Tbone

Apr 4, 2008
Liverpool
51/0/20 gave some interesting results last night.
basically it works well with 2 different rotations,

it-ps-hsx2-ob(omgRPdump)it-ps-hsx4

but it also gave some decent results (sadly) with

obx2-hsx6
which gave me the urge to die of boredom, although it has huge advantages over the first in fights like grob when i have to constantly move about, means i dont have to worry about diseases.

patchwerk i used the first rotation, and got around 3.8k dps, and with grob on the 2nd rotation i hit about 3.2, and grob is one fight i usually lag really far behind on.

kinda sux that the main part of the dk class can be skipped n still manage around the same dps

on the plus side, DRW now does around 2.3k dps when it's up o/

Jai

May 4, 2008
From what I have been reading you can get more dps out of blood with a diseaseless rotation.

WTB some moare stuff to tank with a decent group so I can test DPS with RS spammage with this build

Tbone

Apr 4, 2008
Liverpool
yeah i was testing it last night, but it's hard to get decent results on different bosses.

did 4mins each on the boss level target dummy just now, will post screenies in a sec.

Necrosis is doing shit damage though, dummies with 1 health ftl :<

edit: fucking screenshots didnt take, but basically i managed 2.5k without diseases and 2.6k with.
can deffo see no diseases scaling better with raidbuffs though, specially if i go back to critwhore buffing like when krouk was hat

Tbone

Apr 4, 2008
Liverpool
yeah, that and it'll take me til our next naxx raid so i can go for no diseases on almost all bosses, but with diseases on grob

OP
Ozzimandius

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
Hopefully Blizzard will spot this non desease rotation thing and buff desease or extra damage from strikes per desease. It's got alot to do with the t7 buffing oblitereate so much I'll wager. Get the Sigil Of awareness ( if you don't have it already ) and that deseaseless rotation will be even better.
It is a shame though.

K

Khalo

Get a Avatar Ozzi.

I suggest this:

mario-wedding-cake.jpg