New skills and talents in TBC [leaked from private Beta]

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I didn't do the math, but in theory Mangle can beat MS at some level too, because it scales faster.

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
Just wondering.. When did they nerf the frost mage Water Elemental?
Last I saw, it was a "permanent" pet like hunters have, now I suddenly see it's a 45sec gimmick pet every 3mins? :\

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
I've been testing out Prayer of Mending a bit after getting it at lv 68. For those of you, who don't know what that is, here's the description:

Prayer of Mending (Rank 1)
390 Mana 40 yd range
Instant cast
Places a spell on the target that heals them for 800 the next time they take damage. When the heal occurs, Prayer of Mending jumps to a raid member within 20 yards. Jumps up to 5 times and lasts 30 sec after each jump. This spell can only be placed on one target at a time.

With talents, you can bring the mana cost down to just a bit under 300 I think. But the thing is, you can spam this on yourself, which basically means instant 1.2k heals (at least with my healing gear), which proc off of DoT ticks as well. There was a segment in one priest pvp video, where the holy priest (with the "Blessed" talents as well) was able to easily outheal the damage of a trinket and cooldown abusing, decked firemage until the mage wen oom. Sounds a bit OP, don't you think? Nerf incoming?

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Natalya said:
I've been testing out Prayer of Mending a bit after getting it at lv 68. For those of you, who don't know what that is, here's the description:

Prayer of Mending (Rank 1)
390 Mana 40 yd range
Instant cast
Places a spell on the target that heals them for 800 the next time they take damage. When the heal occurs, Prayer of Mending jumps to a raid member within 20 yards. Jumps up to 5 times and lasts 30 sec after each jump. This spell can only be placed on one target at a time.

With talents, you can bring the mana cost down to just a bit under 300 I think. But the thing is, you can spam this on yourself, which basically means instant 1.2k heals (at least with my healing gear), which proc off of DoT ticks as well. There was a segment in one priest pvp video, where the holy priest (with the "Blessed" talents as well) was able to easily outheal the damage of a trinket and cooldown abusing, decked firemage until the mage wen oom. Sounds a bit OP, don't you think? Nerf incoming?

Too early to tell actually. I'd go for no because of two reasons: The increase in Stamina was not compensated with increased Intellect for casters so going OOM on a Healing class is not just a Priest issue, it can happen with Paladins as well and Druids, too (I know the base mana was upped with all it's ugly consequences (mana % based skills got extremely expensive and had to be toned down though Shapeshifting is still not cheap at 70) but there was no compensation via gear).

Secondly, this is only an issue against casters and not against everyone. After all, what threat is a Priest that spams PoM against a Rogue/Feral Druid/Warrior? Their "juice" is not finite, the Priest ones is and especially in PvP Priests won't run along with so much Intellect anyway since they'll die from lack of HP before they are OOM.

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
Ayu said:
Secondly, this is only an issue against casters and not against everyone. After all, what threat is a Priest that spams PoM against a Rogue/Feral Druid/Warrior? Their "juice" is not finite, the Priest ones is and especially in PvP Priests won't run along with so much Intellect anyway since they'll die from lack of HP before they are OOM.

That's the thing. It seems to be a really good skill against melee classes as well. Here's the video I was talking about:

http://files.filefront.com/BCpriestswmv/;6265054;;/fileinfo.html

It's huge, but you got time, right? Now that I watched it again, the mage fight is actually kinda lame. And apparently people are claiming that the entire video is fabricated i.e. everyone he fights uses some of the weaker skills just to proc prayer of mending. I don't know much about melee classes, so you be the judge of that. He also has both the Blessed talents and +1200 healing. Fake or not, still goes to show the potential of PoM.

I'm just not sure whether it was intended that you can spam it on yourself or someone else for that matter. I think the whole point of it is for it to jump around group/raid members and not be a superior replacement (in certain situations anyway) for Flash Heal.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Watched the video now but the only surprising thing I saw was that even the well played Rogues lost. The Mage part was definitely a setup just to show how good PoM is. Why the Mage spammed Scorch against a Priest is beyond me and if you check the time he got the 2.5k Fblast Crit + the PoMed Pyro for another 2.8k you'll see the Mage was not going for full burst.

PoM is definitely impressive but it remains to see how it works out when the DPS is geared in end game gear and not just some T3 or other old world items just because they are purple.

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
Ayu said:
Watched the video now....
Muhahaa! I knew I could trick you into watching it.

:hump:

Ayu said:
PoM is definitely impressive but it remains to see how it works out when the DPS is geared in end game gear and not just some T3 or other old world items just because they are purple.
True. Due to poor scaling it probably won't be enough to outheal anything later on. But it will still be useful for quickly healing to full when you get drive-by dotted or get pets sent out after you in PvP (the latter of which happens way too often).

What about the rogue fights? Did they look like setups to you? I didn't really notice them holding back or deliberately proccing PoM. Because the boys on teh interweb are saying this guy plays a hunter main who just went out of his way to get priests nerfed by faking everything in this vid.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Natalya said:
What about the rogue fights? Did they look like setups to you? I didn't really notice them holding back or deliberately proccing PoM. Because the boys on teh interweb are saying this guy plays a hunter main who just went out of his way to get priests nerfed by faking everything in this vid.

The Rogue fights didn't look like setups to me. Especially the Violetta/Nioletta one was nice - if only he had used Blind at ~8:28 and restealthed, then I think he'd have won. But this is easy to say when watching the video instead of dueling yourself with all the stress and stuff. Definitely not a setup in my eyes.

The Paladin was quite daft if I may say so. He didn't use SP aura to counter Mana Burns nor did he use a fast wep with SoW after seeing he had no chance to outburst the Priest. He should have gone for outlasting him IMO but I dunno if that would have worked either.

Lastly, the player of the Priest was not shabby either, so that plays a part, too.

If I was to guess which class would have the most chances of winning it's be a Feral Druid because they can do mana less DPS while having their mana pool protected from Mana Burns in forms. The other class that wasn't shown was the Warlock and usually if classes are not included in PvP videos it means fighting them is either too boring for the viewer (nah) or because you lose to them (more likely). Actually, there was no real Mage fight either come to think of it....

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
Respecced to try out some other talents, like:

Surge of Light

Your spell criticals have a 50% chance to cause your next Smite spell to be instant cast, cost no mana but be incapable of a critical hit. This effect lasts 10 sec.
Turns out this talent is bugged as hell. First of all, the "free" Smites actually cost mana unless you are oom, in which case they're free. On the upside, the instant Smites can indeed crit and are thus able to proc another Surge of Light. With a bit of luck, this leads to some insane nukage. Allthough chain procs will make you burn thorugh your mana really fast, it's so much fun it's still worth it.

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
Apparently the "logic" behind Surge of Light is more fuzzy than that:
1. SoL-cast Smites can crit, regardless of the talent description.

2. If the next spell cast after SoL procs is Smite, that smite will be free and instant-cast, as stated by the talent.

3. If another spell is cast after SoL procs but before casting another Smite, the next smite cast will be instant cast but will not be free.

4. Sometimes (if chain-casting Smite as SoL procs, or if casting smite immediately after another spellcrit), the casting of the next Smite will begin before the SoL proc actually activates, but after the previous spell has crit. In this case, the Smite which began casting will be free, but will not be instant. The Smite after that will then be instant, but not free. In effect, the next to smites combined will have both an instant cast and a free cast, but each on a separate actual casting of Smite.

5. If (since SoL Smites can crit as per #1) SoL chain-procs, any additional procs after the first will not grant any more free Smites, but will make additional proc'd Smites instant-cast.
How confusing is that? :S

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
One a completely different note, what are the names of the first and the last (not counting the Mage PoV bit) track in the Priest video?