Keyloggers, what to know, what to do (READ)

Neop

Oct 20, 2009
Sorry.

Who does need that silly blizz's "security"? Thing is that it's someone who knows me, and to bruteforce my old password: Z9x60s3hY4WKY78sQoL0QoStV4, it will take ages, and impossible to run keylogger or any trojan on FreeBSD OS (There is possibility to run some kind of trojan via "sudo" command through Windows binary emulator but trojan won't work) when you downloading only packages and steam updates, totally 0 clue how that happened, and that dude didn't delete my character or pvp gear, he just sold everything that can be sold.

Neop

Oct 20, 2009
Sorry.

No one except me and my cat knew account info, but i found Troll rogue 1 lvl on my account with 15 mins played at Wildhammer realm and he has Nickstone in friends. No idea who is that guy but that's a wierd stuff....

Damonkey

Mar 10, 2009
Sorry.

Neop said:
Can't raid for a while because I have got hacked (zomg really, on FreeBSD box keyloggers and such crap is impossible and 25 characters password on wow account and different pass on my e-mail), only pvp gear left because leet hackzor couldn't sell it :(
What a shame :(

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
Sorry.

That's why I stick with Windows.. Open Source OS mean that's everyone can freely search for leaks and exploits because their obtainable everywhere. But as you said.. someone you know is more likely. Hope you get your stuff back soon.

Neop

Oct 20, 2009
Sorry.

Merlijn said:
That's why I stick with Windows.. Open Source OS mean that's everyone can freely search for leaks and exploits because their obtainable everywhere. But as you said.. someone you know is more likely. Hope you get your stuff back soon.
I don't want to start holywar, but Open Source OS has better defense than Windows, keyloggers,trojans,viruses,hijackers are all developed for Windows, also user 99% of time has Administrator access and I can merge encrypted trojan to video file and when you launch it, your system is broken. If you try to do that with FreeBSD, even if you will make trojan for FreeBSD (notice that almost every distributive has different structure, so you need to make trojans for almost every Linux distributive, you will give up at that) and attach it to video file, when you launch that video file trojan won't have access to core modules of OS = trojan won't startup = you are not hacked, because to run some program that asks for access to OS you need root user access, and no one who is using *nix system is always sitting under root user. And don't read that post because you will say that Windows is better and we will start holywar, but i probably started it when i made this post.

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I think I'm quite adapt at securing my systems, change passwords around, use Noscript, etc. etc, but I still use an authenticator. There's just too many ways to get account info, and you have to weigh in the cost of the silly little thing. Principals are nice and all, but it's just a cheap way to take a load of your chest really. You're the perfect example, sadly, if you can get hacked, anyone can, I'll keep my silly little plastic number generator, and this should be reason enough for anyone without one to be worried.

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
Could it be some kind of dns hack? I haven't kept up with whats been going on the last two years.
Something like As I remember it, it was basicly impossible to protect against unless you were on a really good VPN or used a custom dns service.

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
Sorry.

Neop said:
Merlijn said:
I don't want to start holywar, but Open Source OS has better defense than Windows, keyloggers,trojans,viruses,hijackers are all developed for Windows, also user 99% of time has Administrator access and I can merge encrypted trojan to video file and when you launch it, your system is broken. If you try to do that with FreeBSD, even if you will make trojan for FreeBSD (notice that almost every distributive has different structure, so you need to make trojans for almost every Linux distributive, you will give up at that) and attach it to video file, when you launch that video file trojan won't have access to core modules of OS = trojan won't startup = you are not hacked, because to run some program that asks for access to OS you need root user access, and no one who is using *nix system is always sitting under root user. And don't read that post because you will say that Windows is better and we will start holywar, but i probably started it when i made this post.

It's nothing to start a holywar over.. it's a matter of preference.. I've had this discussion for hours with an old colleague of mine who was this huge Linux fan.. ended up it's a matter of taste.. and a "decent" computer user should know he shouldn't use his admin account to log on to the system and use a normal user account..

Gymlee

Aug 26, 2005
Looks like I've been hacked as well. In case anything logs on one of my chars, it's not me. Hopefully they haven't taken anything from guild bank or so :cry:

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Gymlee said:
Looks like I've been hacked as well. In case anything logs on one of my chars, it's not me. Hopefully they haven't taken anything from guild bank or so :cry:

Shame on you. :(

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
No worries, I removed gbank privileges from every non-authenticated account since Snorri got himself hacked for the gazillionth time <_<

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
If you run some kind of AV or anti-malware prog it might be a good idea to add emcor.dll to the suspicious file list.
The way it works is that it blocks you from sending the authenticator number when you log in. Instead you get a "bad information" message. The code is sent with your username and password to whoever put it on your comp.
Basicly it's just a fancy keylogger with a new feature added.

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Why do you lock your doors at night Merlin, you know they can be broken, right? Don't be so Dutch.

It's a good thing it immediately shows you're hacked, didn't think they would actually resort to live hacking, since you can only use the code within like a minute :eek:

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
From that thread it seems the hackers aren't all that smart....... I mean; my first action would be to log onto account management, change password and remove authenticator....... But then again; I'm not really all that nice, those hackers apparently are.