IGN Mage Talents

OP
Ayu

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Asmodean said:
You only need 5 Points in Arcane to reach Clearcasting, so the 2 more points in Arcane Focus are wasted imo.

I am taking Arcane Focus because I want Arcane Focus, not as filler. I like AF, it means less CS, IAE and AM resists - and especially longer sheep.

Asmodean said:
I'd rather put them into Imp. Fireball or Frostbolt.

I considered getting 5/5 imp. Fbolt for the 1 sec chill, but I can do without. I won't get Imp. Fireball, the DPS is nice, but the DPM sucks and I want to be very mana efficient.

Asmodean said:
In general, I don't really understand this spec and its intentions behind. You spec PvE raiding (+hit, Clearcasting, -threat) but on the other side go high up into Fire which is more a PvP/PvE-solo spec.

Uh, +hit and CC work both in Solo Pve, Group Pve (raiding) and PvP. The only talent that does not work for PvP is -threat but the talent also offers a chance to not get interrupted while being hit. I win double there.

Also, since when is Fire a solo PvE spec? Eh? No Ice Block, so what? Both elements are good for either, and both got -threat for raiding.

Btw, Frost is the PvP spec actually, due to Ice Block and partial controllable crits with shatter :p

A

Asmodean

Ayu said:
I am taking Arcane Focus because I want Arcane Focus, not as filler. I like AF, it means less CS, IAE and AM resists - and especially longer sheep.

Is it really longer sheep? Personally I have no evidence that arcane resist influences the sheep duration at all. Do you have a link or statement which proves this? It ofc influences the resist-rate.

Ayu said:
I considered getting 5/5 imp. Fbolt for the 1 sec chill, but I can do without.

Since when does 5/5 Imp Frostbolt give an increased chill? It only reduces casting time (which is valuable both for PvP and PvE).

Ayu said:
Asmodean said:
In general, I don't really understand this spec and its intentions behind. You spec PvE raiding (+hit, Clearcasting, -threat) but on the other side go high up into Fire which is more a PvP/PvE-solo spec.

Uh, +hit and CC work both in Solo Pve, Group Pve (raiding) and PvP. The only talent that does not work for PvP is -threat but the talent also offers a chance to not get interrupted while being hit. I win double there.

Huuh? The new arcane subtlety offers 10 spell penetration which is ofc nice for all purposes but that has nothing to do with the chance of being interupted while taking damage?

Ayu said:
Also, since when is Fire a solo PvE spec? Eh? No Ice Block, so what? Both elements are good for either, and both got -threat for raiding.

Well, my sentence about Fire being more of a PvP/Solo PvE spec is arguable but most people would - without any doubt - argue that Fire and its burst dmg is better for PvP than frost and its sustained high damage (when leaving chill aside).
This counts atleast for the old dmg trees. This being said - ofc noone knows how exactly the new talents influence the old general spell school purposes and we all have to find out ourselves.

OP
Ayu

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Asmodean said:
Is it really longer sheep? Personally I have no evidence that arcane resist influences the sheep duration at all. Do you have a link or statement which proves this? It ofc influences the resist-rate.

Don't have proof, but I am pretty sure it works like that.

Asmodean said:
Since when does 5/5 Imp Frostbolt give an increased chill? It only reduces casting time (which is valuable both for PvP and PvE).

Sorry, meant the 1 sec cast time of rank 1.

Asmodean said:
Huuh? The new arcane subtlety offers 10 spell penetration which is ofc nice for all purposes but that has nothing to do with the chance of being interupted while taking damage?

Refering to Burning Soul

Asmodean said:
Well, my sentence about Fire being more of a PvP/Solo PvE spec is arguable but most people would - without any doubt - argue that Fire and its burst dmg is better for PvP than frost and its sustained high damage (when leaving chill aside).
This counts atleast for the old dmg trees. This being said - ofc noone knows how exactly the new talents influence the old general spell school purposes and we all have to find out ourselves.

Frost can get burst as well, even more controlled with Nova and Fbolt/CoC or PoM + Fbolt.

G

Ayu said:
Asmodean said:

Sounds weird. Would like to see proof.

Balduran

Aug 30, 2005
IMO this spec is very nice for pve. I would never take this spec for pvp tho.

High end fire talent combustion is a pve talent imo Asmo, and Firepower is just a must have for any viable Fire spec.

Balduran

Aug 30, 2005
Asmodean said:

With our gear, frost is waaay better for PvP (solo and grp pvp)

OP
Ayu

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Liandra said:
Ayu said:
Asmodean said:

Sheep is being checked for resists every tick, like others CC (like fear). And

And if you want proof, go sheep stuff with and without AF and time it.

A

Asmodean

Ayu said:
Liandra said:
Ayu said:
Asmodean said:

Sheep is being checked for resists every tick, like others CC (like fear). And

And if you want proof, go sheep stuff with and without AF and time it.

That sounds reasonable. Thanks for the clarification.