Hearthstone!

OP
Bani

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
So how's everyone doing? Tell me some stories of your epic wins and other happenings :D

My most epic moment was seeing Joy online in the game. "Joy is practicing against the AI". So cute!

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
Had some real epic arena games, mostly on mage. Opponent dying to fatigue damage the turn he was about to kill me. Clutch Big Game Hunter plays and mindcrontrolling Ysera on my priest in constructed then next turn throwing a double health +inner fire on her.

Fun times

OP
Bani

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
Nice one! I won with a 24/24 Ysera too, but not a mindcontrolled one. That's just insulting :D

I had a fun arena match recently with the usually terrible Ancient Watcher. My Swordmaster kept buffing it and I used a Defender of Argus on it to make it a taunter. It just refused to die and was something like an 8/7 at some point late in the game.

Also another game, priest vs. priest, with both of us having Ysera (or thoughtsteal on his part). Both Yseras were out and the first got MCd back and forth with a total of 3 MCs used. Then when the first one was finally killed off, I played the 2nd. That was just a hilarious game ^^

I still can't get the hang of paladin and shaman though, I lose most games where my opponent plays well :(

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I beat Best Buddy' level 100 Priest with my level 2 Mage once. It was quite awesome.

Events may or may not have happened precisely as described.

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
I once MC'd a Deathwing which was my opponent's last card on hand when nearly both our decks were empty. I think he cried IRL :D

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
I don't know about you guys but I'm finding that when I lose in arena it's usually multiple times against the same class. For instance I went 8/3 on a warrior once, having lost one game early on and two games later on all to shamans. A promising mage deck lost lsot three games in a row to other 3 other mage decks to end 5/3 and priest deck went down to 2 hunter decks.

What have your most sucessful arena classes been so far? Mine by far is mage, my worst arena classes have been hunter and priest.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Doesn't this depend on what cards you are able to draft?

OP
Bani

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
interesting, I've had exactly the opposite experience. Managed 2x 9 wins with priest (no MC either!) but my mage games are sad affairs with 1-4 wins.

And those wins I get since Blizz puts me up against semi-sentient sludges after a 0-2 :(

Pala and Warrior are pretty reliable too with usually 6-7 wins, but haven't managed 9 wins with either yet. Don't think I've ever tried warlock even though I love them in constructed.

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
Doesn't this depend on what cards you are able to draft?

To more or less of a degree yes but I've found that if you know the cards a bit you will always be able to draft a decent deck, no matter what picks you get. Ofc to go 9/2 ,9/1 or 9/0 you need to have very good picks so luck doest play an important role.

To me it also depends a lot on the hero power, Mage hero power is for me the strongest in arenas followed by hunter and priest.
Mage has been by far my most successfull going 9/1 twice. Admittedly I hade some serious luck a few times but also a lot of extremely close games where mage removal + hero power gave me the edge. Both mage decks were also quite similar rolling with Knife Juggler, Mana Wyrm, mirror images and entity and a lot of board clear. In my last game to go 9/1 I had such a lucky draw I got him to concede after 6 turns with two knife jugglers, two mirror image spells a Questing Adventurer and a mana wyrm and constantly drawing into removal spells or CC freezes.
Went 8/3 with war and classes like pala an druid I've always had less success with though the result has remained solid. Like I said hunter and priest are by far my worst and I don't dare play rogue or warlock.

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
Just started plying this yesterday, having a lot of fun with it. :D
Only gotten as far as unlocking all the classes, and been playing some unranked games with a warrior.

Are cards being wiped when the beta is over?

OP
Bani

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
They said they would definitely not wipe, but nothing is for sure. Basically, unless there is some giant bug or similar screwup, you get to keep your stuff :)

Also, hi Gink <3

OP
Bani

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
I had a pretty decent run with rogue I think, but would never pick it over the usual arena classes. Warlock I didn't dare try yet I think :p The hero ability is great but I don't see any of the class minions being useful in arena outside the blood imps. (5 blood imps would be hilarous though! Coupled with something like a darkscale healer your minions would be invincible.... the ones you have space for, anyway :p)

btw, here is a great in-depth analysis of the Inn-vitational, showing the mistakes the players made and what would have been better choices. Mistakes were Made

Smaj

RawR!
Staff member
Jan 7, 2013
Got it day before yesterday.... and all that happens is me getting slaughered constantly. *SNIFF*

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
yeah I've noticed unranked mode has become very brutal to play atm, almost more so than 3 star master. Also a hell of a lot of the same decks out there - decklists copied from pro players.
If you're just starting out good cards are also very scarce.

If I were you I'd focus on arena mode. More equal playing field, you get to learn the classes and the cards better and you're guaranteed at least one pack plus gold/dust/random cards.

OP
Bani

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
Arena has gotten really tough as well though, I think. Once you've got to 4-5 wins, almost noone makes careless mistakes anymore, and it's 50% mages with a well-rounded deck that includes at least a flamestrike and a few frostbolts/fireballs.

The problem if you don't spend money on cards is, you have a hard time even completing your dailies, so you can't do arena all that often and farming the dailies is really no fun if you constantly get killed by decks that have all the rare+ cards and copy a nice net deck. A friend of mine was hugely excited about HS but now pretty much hates it.... I got really lucky with my packs so far, but otherwise I don't think I'd enjoy it nearly as much.

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
Arena is getting harder, but that's largely because players are getting better. There are no set templates to play from because of the randomness of the picks. Granted that experienced players who get lucky with picks will get further than less lucky players, but on the whole the playing field is fairer in arenas and I feel that laerning the game works better there, plus it is guaranteed to earn you some cards, no matter how badly it might go. On top of that there does seem to be a clear difference between how effective hero powers are in Arena.

Constructed does indeed feel broken, especially when you're new to the game. However, there are some ways around it. A sure way (but this does require copying a decklist) is to go with the complete free to play pally deck. This is a very solid, well-rounded deck which guarantees you at least some success. I'm sure there are other budget decks out there which will work well, if not better than the expensive ones.But hey, it is still a CCG, that comes with the nature of the game. If anything I think Hearthstone is fairer in this aspect than say.... Magic the Gathering is.
Hell, my most successful deck has no epics or legendaries in it but still performs very well. It would perform better with certain legendaries in it which I don't have, but that's ok. Like I said, it's a CCG before it is a computer game, and the initital hurdles inherent to any CCG must first be overcome before it becomes a lot of fun.

As of yet I have also spent no money on the game. What cards I needed for ceratin deck ideas I got in arena packs and through crafting, the materail for which are also to be won in arena.