Android games!

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
There was an entire department at the University I went to that would disagree with you there. Most people coming up with new ideas for products/software/scientific methods are already being paid for their time, to come up with and prove those ideas. The bit you seem to be missing out completely is that once you've had your idea and proved it, you patent it and make yourself/your employer money from the licensing of the Intellectual Property associated with it.

Please reread my post. Then reread the bold bit. You're just confirming what I said Chirrad....... People don't get payed for the idea. They get payed for the proof. The proof is where the work is done. The proof is what is worth money.
Same with software/games. The idea for the game is worth diddlysquat. The software itself is what's worth the money.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
So Braque, you're saying the idea "game where you land planes with your finger on airfields" would be worth more $$$ than the actual design, implementation of the game on iPhone? I really don't see that <_<

Chirrad

Sep 29, 2009
Please reread my post. Then reread the bold bit. You're just confirming what I said Chirrad....... People don't get payed for the idea. They get payed for the proof. The proof is where the work is done. The proof is what is worth money.
Same with software/games. The idea for the game is worth diddlysquat. The software itself is what's worth the money.

You're arguing over semantics, and still missing the main point. Yes, you get paid for the time you spend proving it. But you also make money off your idea (IF it worked, which is why the proof was necessary), by licensing the Intellectual Property. So yes, you most definitely do get paid for an idea. As long as it's a good one.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
So Braque, you're saying the idea "game where you land planes with your finger on airfields" would be worth more $$$ than the actual design, implementation of the game on iPhone? I really don't see that <_<

That's really not what I said at all. I don't think you guys appreciate how much of a rip off this game is. It's a clone. Not similar, but a clone. I'll say it again:

1) They copied the GAME MECHANIC (time & motion management by drawing out splines using touch controls). This is an ORIGINAL idea, which is VERY RARE (more than 99% of games simply copy an existing mechanic and apply it to a new setting). A new FUN mechanic can launch a genre. I can't over emphasise how unusual it is. Developers launching a game based on a new mechanic take a huge risk that reviewers / the public don't "get" the game. Even if your mechanic is fun, if people don't get it (and they won't make an effort to get it) then it'll sink without a trace.

2) They copied the SETTING. Getting a good setting/theme for a new game mechanic is REALLY HARD, and makes a massive difference in how well a game will do commercially. Most facebook games use the same core mechanic (called appointment gameplay) and set it in different themes to appeal to different demographics. Even if your mechanic is good, if the setting doesn't capture the audience then your game will sink into obscurity.

3) They copied the ART STYLE. Sure, the original Flight Control art style isn't exactly unique and exciting, but come on, at least the developers went to the effort of thinking: What art style will suit this game and setting? What will will good on an iPhone handset? Have the developers of Air Traffic added anything new here? No. They just copied.

4) They copied (as far as I can see) the LEVEL DESIGN. I mean. Really. Don't they do ANYTHING themselves?

In some games the programming is key to success. Many PC and console games break new technological ground, and the tech teams bring new value to an existing genre by making the hardware do things no one has done before. Technology can enable innovation, and in that context it brings huge value. But not here. This is basic, trivial, codeing by numbers. Any collage graduate could re-code Flight Control.

Honestly, I remain AGHAST that you guys are honestly defending this kind of cheap rent-a-clone game development.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Well, if Apple would open up and just ran Android on its phone, perhaps we could all enjoy the same app store =)

Chirrad

Sep 29, 2009
Honestly, I remain AGHAST that you guys are honestly defending this kind of cheap rent-a-clone game development.

Half of the people in this guild believe it's absolutely fine to download anything and everything - I don't think you're going to get many people on your side with that argument!

Jazende

Sacred vines, entangle the corrupted!
Staff member
May 12, 2008
Half of the people in this guild believe it's absolutely fine to download anything and everything

Absolutly not. If anyone downloads Justin Bieber I don't think it would be taken lightly.
[ForAyu]Or Twilight for that matter.[/ForAyu]

Scarce

Pet Keeper
Nov 2, 2007
Absolutly not. If anyone downloads Justin Bieber I don't think it would be taken lightly.
[ForAyu]Or Twilight for that matter.[/ForAyu]

Does that mean im ok with downloading twilight?! i alrdy have all 3 movies on ma pc and 2 of them on ma ipod:D

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Does that mean im ok with downloading twilight?! i alrdy have all 3 movies on ma pc and 2 of them on ma ipod:D

Oh noes, now Chirrad will make a post directed at you with exclamation marks.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Half of the people in this guild believe it's absolutely fine to download anything and everything - I don't think you're going to get many people on your side with that argument!

I'm not sure, but I might actually think this is worse than illegal downloads - this isn't *just* getting a freebie copy of something for your own entertainment, this is people pretty much passing off someone elses work as their own and charging money for it.

Tyche

The Punisher
Dec 30, 2008
The Netherlands
Got my htc desire today, soooo pwetty and cool! Got loads of apps by joy already. :p I guess your game isnt for android, braque? :( Still curious for it!

Jaghira

Jul 8, 2009
ZOMFGS dont say android to braque!!! he has to sacrifice a goat and a virgin to his gods everytime you mention android....

gulp! i mentioned android two times here!!

aiii 3 times!! am sorry goats!....

Ded

is Ded
Mar 4, 2007
Angry Birds ported to android. In beta at the moment.

Wow you guys are so lucky! You get to play this sub-par physics based rubbish too :D weeeeeee!

Well it's not that bad, but it's just seems to be more of a free flash game really....