WOTLK Infos

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
http://www.mmo-champion.com/

Information summary
Death Knights

* All players with a level 55 character will be able to create one Death Knight per realm, per account. (Gamespy.com)
* Blizzard's designers decided to start the class with a full complement of abilities right off the bat, figuring that any player that has advanced a character to level 55 would be able to learn to handle the new class with minimal difficulty. (Gamespy.com)
* Death Knights will have a summonable Skeletal Deatcharger Mount. (Gamespy.com)
* Death Knights aren't using Mana or Energy, the runes are their primary source of power and are slotted into their "blade," which lies underneath their health bar as a visual indicator of what resources are available to the player at any given moment. (Gamespy.com)
* Spent runes automatically refresh after a set period of time, much like a Rogue's energy bar. (Gamespy.com)
* There are six slots in the blade, and the player is free to fill those slots with any given number of Blood, Unholy or Frost runes. (Gamespy.com)
* Death Knights also have a secondary resource called Runic Power generated by using your rune abilities. It will use the same mechanics as rage and increase when you deal damage, or slowly decrease if you're not using it. (Gamespy.com)
* Death Knights will have a lot of abilities that cost all available Runic Power with varying levels of effectiveness based on total Runic Power spent. (Same mechanics as Execute for warriors, or finishing moves for Rogues) (Gamespy.com)
* Death Knights will have spells equivalent to auras called "Presence", providing them with powerful self-buffs depending on their role in the group. (One for tanking, one for damage dealing, etc ....) (Gamespy.com)
* An instant lifedrain spell (described as death coil without the fear component) will be available. (Gamespy.com)
* Death Knights will be the first class to use diseases as a source of damage, with abilities that become strong depending on how many diseases are already applied to the target. (Gamespy.com)
* "Army of the Dead" will spawn numerous undead minions to attack nearby hostiles targets. (Gamespy.com)
* Death Knights will also revive an enemy (or ally) as a ghoul to use it as a pet with its own special abilities like a disease-inflicting strike and a stun. (Gamespy.com)
* When an ally is risen as a ghoul, a pop-up will appear and this ally will have the choice to control the ghoul if he wants to. (Gamespy.com)
* The Death Knight's particular niche will be in tanking magic-damage-dealing bosses. They will have an ability much like a banshee's anti-magic shell, greatly diminishing the amount of incoming magic damage they'll receive in combat (Gamespy.com)

Raids & Dungeons

* All raid dungeons in Wrath of the Lich King will have both 10-person and 25-person versions. So at level 80, every major encounter and every big boss fight can be experienced with a group of 10. (Gamespy.com)
* 25-person raiding progression is not dependent on 10-person raiding progression. (Gamespy.com)
* There will be no attunements or keys to obtain, and you won't be locked out of a 25-person instance if you decide to attempt the 10-person version, and vice-versa. (Gamespy.com)
* 25-person raids will earn more, higher-level rewards, in what should be the equivalent of one "tier" of loot quality. (Gamespy.com)
* A new instance focused on the different dragonflights "The Chamber of Aspects" might be added to the game, but this isn't confirmed yet. (Gamespy.com)
* Zero raid bosses have been designed at this point. (Gamespy.com)

Others

* Players will unlock their flying mount at level 77. (Gamespy.com)
* You can use your Outland flying mount, and new flying mounts will be available. (Gamespy.com)

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Gonna be interesting to see how they design encounters that are interesting for 25 as well as 10 people.

DK's sound alot more interesting already, that semi combat-res is :D, still no clue how he's supposed to tank with a 2H, prolly one of those auras that turns a 2H sword into a shield wannabe <_<

Hom

Aug 30, 2005
The lack of attunements is a good thing now, but not sure about what is essentially heroic 10mans being the new 25 man content. Pushing enough players to do 25 man versions for what is essentially just loot upgrades is going to be hard.

They are gonna have to make atleast something unique in the 25man versions to make people want to do it.

The death knights do sound nice, and the comment about that being the ultimate magic dmg tanks is somewhat interesting. Will have to see how this affects current tanking classes based on their new talents.

Mcv

Mar 31, 2007
"25-person raids will earn more, higher-level rewards, in what should be the equivalent of one "tier" of loot quality." it better by otherwise none cba to run 25man rly. Atleast it will be more easy to gear alts lol. Thought TBC was epic give a way expansion seems Wotlk will be even worse :p

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
ZA shows that can make 10-man hard. I think the BoJ system is way more of an loot pinata than a 10 man raid progression.

Wilandra

Sep 28, 2005
A quick description of some of the spells:

• Death Coil -- Depletes all Runic Power, dealing 600 damage to a non-Undead target, or healing 900 damage on a friendly target.
• Death Grip -- This is the Death Knight's "taunt" ability. It also pulls the target to the Death Knight, forcing them to attack the Death Knight for a short amount of time. Yes, I said pulls the target; Blizzard is going to allow players to move mobs in the expansion both with Death Grip, and other knockback/pull abilities. This works on players too, so PvP balance ahoy!
• Chains of Ice -- Roots the target in place. When the spell fades, it places a snare on the target that reduces in potency as the duration runs out.
• Raise Dead -- Raises a nearby corpse to fight for the Death Knight for 2 minutes. If used on a player corpse, the player has the option to play as the ghoul for the duration -- gaining access to the ghoul's abilities.
- The ghoul has the ability to do the following:
-- Leap to the target
-- Rend for decent damage-over-time
-- Stun target, and of course more
• Death Pact -- Sacrifices the raised ghouls to heal the Death Knight.
• Death and Decay -- Targeted, AoE Damage-over-time which pulses similar to the Paladin spell Consecration. Anyone affected by Death and Decay has a chance to be feared.
• Frost Presence -- Increases Armor by 45% and allows the Death Knight to generate 25% more threat. Only one presence can be active at any time.
• Unholy Presence -- Increases Attack Speed and Movement speed by 15%. Only one presence can be active at any time. This was described by Tom Chilton as the "PvP" presence.
• Anti-magic Shield -- Reduces the damage of the next magical spell cast on the Death Knight by 75%. It also converts the damage reduced into Runic Power.
• Strangulate -- Depletes all Runic Power, dealing minor damage and silencing the target for up to 5 seconds.
• Summon Deathcharger -- Allows the Death Knight to summon a Deathcharger mount. This mount is acquired through quests, similar to the Paladin and Warlock land mounts.

Wilandra

Sep 28, 2005
Looking at Death Grip, the screenshot of an enhancement shaman spell Lightning Lash may not be fake after all. According to the screeny it deals about 400-500 nature damage, incapacitates for 1 sec and pulls the target to the shaman.

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
That would be an insane Enh shammy PVP buff :eek:

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
Death Knight sounds like awesome fun now tho. Makes me curious as to what they have planned for other classes to weigh up for it.
The level req on your toon is waay way lower than I anticipated. I really thought you'd have to have a lvl80 before you could roll one. Now everyone will roll DK on launch day ^^
But lots of nice spells and stuff going into the class, which is cool. Making someone else your pet is kinda fun. I also love how they're making frost and diseases very prominent. Makes the class more unique.

As for 25 vs 10 man.. I doubt the 10 man will drop Tier sets, so basically, if you wanna look like a dork (ZA sets) 10 man is fine, if you wanna looks awesome (T5-6), and be even more uber, 25 man is the place to be. I really doubt the armor u get in 10 man is the same ilvl as in the 25man. Makes me wonder how they're gonna do it tho, difficulty wise.... With no attunements, why not skip the first and/or second 10 man, do the third alot to gear up, then skip the first 25 man.... I reckon the "last" 10 man will be hard, but probably drop gear on level or better than the first 25 man? With i.e. 3 raid dungeons, 3 10 man, it wouldn't make sense for all three 10 mans to be worse than all 3 25 mans, so really.... why do the first 25 man if you get better gear in a higher 10 man? Kinda..
Hope the Tier armors look cool :eek:

/edit: Oh and why doesn't anyone ask Blizzard whether or not DKs will get some visual effect so you know they're DKs and not just another warrior >< It's like, really high on my want to know list. Like, a different eye glow, or soemthing :eek:

P

Punchy

Gifv wotlk tbh! This all looks great fun to me :mrgreen:

I really like 10-player instances in TBC, looks like wotlk will deliver lots of goodies. :kitty:

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
if the 10/25man content means we have to farm the same instance twice as long to be at the forefront of raiding, I'm not impressed

Bigglesworth

Apr 29, 2007
The 25-10 mirror instances sounds good and all, but somehow a 10-man Arthas encounter doesn't really sound appealing to me. I wanted it to be all epic and awesome but now it sounds proper shit with only 10 people =[

Hom

Aug 30, 2005
Wilandra said:
Looking at Death Grip, the screenshot of an enhancement shaman spell Lightning Lash may not be fake after all. According to the screeny it deals about 400-500 nature damage, incapacitates for 1 sec and pulls the target to the shaman.

ye these 3 screens may not be fake then, although the lightning one still says it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25857411@N03/2429980236/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25857411@N03/2429167543/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25857411@N03/2432311520/

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Aelin said:
Holy crap I need a death knight >_>

Let's reroll together :D

I wonder if Warriors will get a Leap Attack as well now since Ghouls are supposed to be able to Leap.

Hom

Aug 30, 2005
Bigglesworth said:
The 25-10 mirror instances sounds good and all, but somehow a 10-man Arthas encounter doesn't really sound appealing to me. I wanted it to be all epic and awesome but now it sounds proper shit with only 10 people =[

"The thing that perked my ears up the most during the demonstration this morning, was that the Arthas encounter would not be patched into the game until the end of the Wrath of the Lich King cycle"

Aint even gonna fight him in the expansion until much later patches :S

Tbone

Apr 4, 2008
Liverpool
means you won't "complete" your goals of pve in the game in the peninultimate instance of it, like with illidan