Reinstalling windows blows!!!

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Most games I have/had usually worked without reinstalling from D:\, thus my recommendation :)

OP
G

Ayu said:
Most games I have/had usually worked without reinstalling from D:\, thus my recommendation :)

Then I guess most game programmers are either stubborn or smart for not using the Windows Registry (or both!).

Most non-game programs start acting really weirdly if you try to run them after reinstalling windows, because they are missing some crucial information which they can no longer find in the registry.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Lithis said:
Btw can i still play WoW while im burning backup discs?

Depends actually, if you have a recent burner you can usually do stuff without failing the burn. And if your computer is fast, you can play WoW, yeah.

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
Liandra said:
Note: make sure you either don't use My Documents at all, or that you move it to D: somehow (it is possible in WinXP but I don't know how myself).
I never put anything important under My Documents. If XP gets borked really bad you won't get access to this folder if you do a full reinstall. Even if you set up an account with the same user name, it still denies you access. Happened to me once. Lost a few years worth of school stuff.

OP
U

Ursanis

Even funnier way is to set up two 5 gig partitions, install windows and all that on one of them, then copy that partition to the other with ghost or some such program. Then you hide that second partition. When something goes wrong on the first one you boot up from a bootdisk, hide(or just delete) the borked one and unhide the backup one. Everything is fixed in less than 5 minutes and you just need to make a new backup partition at a convenient time :p

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
Lithis said:
Hmz but why? Windows and WoW on C sounds much better to me ;)

there's also the matter of mods, prefs and screenies..
having it on a seperate partition reduces the (high) chance of forgetting about it in the rage caused by having to format. ^^

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
ursanis said:
Even funnier way is to set up two 5 gig partitions, install windows and all that on one of them, then copy that partition to the other with ghost or some such program. Then you hide that second partition. When something goes wrong on the first one you boot up from a bootdisk, hide(or just delete) the borked one and unhide the backup one. Everything is fixed in less than 5 minutes and you just need to make a new backup partition at a convenient time :p
No need to create 5 gig partitions or hide the other for that matter if your using something like Ghost. Just create an image of your primary partition and store the file on your secondary partition. Ghost automatically creates a boot disk that you can use to restore your installation, i.e. load the image file. This way you don't need to create any backup partitions again and you can use the image file indefinately. I used this method for some time. An image file of Windows with some basic drivers and progs was somewhere around 4 gigs I think, so you could fit it on a dvd if you don't have that 'much' space to spare.

OP
U

Ursanis

well, yea, but the point of hidden partition is having zero down time. And you dont have to use ghost each time ;P

OP
G

i love you really Ayu (btw ty for th 1000g u payed me to say i love you :lol: )

OP
G

Anonymous said:
i love you really Ayu (btw ty for th 1000g u payed me to say i love you :lol: )

Liar! Ayu never has more than 1 or 1,5 respecs g. :lol:

OP
A

Anevia

Anonymous said:
hmm i hope ayu has pc problems soon..... 8)

Ayu has to many nonpc problems, so gawd spared him from pc problems.