Reinstalling windows blows!!!

L

Lithis

I hate windows and all it stands for :cry:

I just wanna play WoW but nooooo, Windows had to screw up :(

OP
G

Get yourself a nice shiny Macintosh instead. A computer that loves you back :)

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Lithis said:
I just need some cheering up atm i guess :cry:

Amigos.gif

OP
L

Lithis

Im making backup discs on everything i have atm....
This really blows since it takes alot of time :cry:

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Lithis said:
Im making backup discs on everything i have atm....
This really blows since it takes alot of time :cry:

Don't you have more than 1 Hard Disk?

OP
L

Lithis

Nope :( only 1 160 gig

Gonna buy another soon..... i dont ever wanna do this again....

OP
G

Tip for your reinstall:

make 2 partitions. One of let's say 20GB for Windows and all your programs, and one of 140GB for "the rest" (pictures, music, documents, pron, all other kinds of data). That way, if you need to reinstall Windows, you can format the 20GB partition safely without the need to backup stuff.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Lithis said:
Nope :( only 1 160 gig

Gonna buy another soon..... i dont ever wanna do this again....

When I had just 1 160 gig, I split it up into multiple disks. You should do the same, putting Windows in C:\, Games into D:\ and Downloads into E:\ (as example). That way you only have to format one disk for a reinstall.

OP
L

Lithis

I will do that this time.

This really takes time and i never wanna do this again :cry:

OP
L

Lithis

Btw how many gig will windows take?

Just curious since im trying to figure out if i can have both windows and WoW on C: and the rest of my downloads on D: movies etc

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Lithis said:
Btw how many gig will windows take?

Just curious since im trying to figure out if i can have both windows and WoW on C: and the rest of my downloads on D: movies etc

Not that big, I guess 1 GB or less but still, you should put WoW into D:\ and all your programs on C:\ (and Windows ofc)

OP
G

Windows itself about 5GB; if you want to install some stuff like MS Office on C: as well, i'd go for 10 or 20 GB.

Note: make sure you either don't use My Documents at all, or that you move it to D: somehow (it is possible in WinXP but I don't know how myself).

OP
G

Ayu said:
Not that big, I guess 1 GB or less but still, you should put WoW into D:\ and all your programs on C:\ (and Windows ofc)

This sounds a bit weird but is actually good advice. WoW is a program as well, but it is a bit special: it does not use the Windows Registry. All programs that use the Registry almost certainly need to be reinstalled as well after you have reinstalled Windows. This is because some of their configuration data has been deleted during the Windows reinstall.

However, WoW keeps all relevant data in its own folder, so it will work just like before if you reinstall windows and run WoW.exe.

Oh, 1GB is a bit on the low side, since lots of MS "internal" stuff is also installed on C: like for example DirectX, and the virtual memory file. Better use a bit larger partition just to be safe.