Lower your latency

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
The patch didn't lower the ping for anyone I talked about (including me). So unless you have a good reason to not to, I suggest you keep the registry hack active.

Hom

Aug 30, 2005
There is a bug in vista that when you add those registry entries it just ignores them so you have to use that hotfix before you add them.

Not sure how it will affect your torrents although most people dont notice any difference. It can potentially slow down downloads but again I didnt notice any difference myself here. Its not like its gonna fuck your system up or anything, and its incredibly easy to remove if you notice adverse effects anyway.

Blozzom

Nov 3, 2005
Ozzimandius said:
btw, got any tips to get FPS up? i average about 6 to 9 in raids, gotten used to it. But you know what they say...the more the merrier.
more memory, better gfx card, less addons :angel:

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Been trying to find the cause of my casting lag and low FPS all morning, and discovered a few things.

- I went up in FPS loads when upgrading my ATI drivers from 7.11 to 7.12, obvious you might say, upgrade your drivers, 7.12 is from Dec. 20th, so update them if you haven't yet, for some reason it made a big difference for me.

- I did some real testing now with this latency fix and casting (mounting in Shatt), without it, I get between 200ms-400ms on most casts, with the fix, I am under 100ms most of the times, so it definitely has an effect on actual casting.

- I did a big cleanup of my WTF folder, by deleting all the old LUA files from addons I wasn't using anymore, and this also seemed to increase my FPS (was before I upraded to 7.12), did lots of testing, like logging without addons enabled, but still having a full WTF folder, and it can have really strange effects on your FPS, so I would suggest cleaning it up, only keeping your important configs (bars, frames), see if it helps you as well.

Now I just hope it's going to help in raids as well :unsure:

Santur

Emo Rap Fan
Oct 9, 2007
Did a fresh install of my system 3 days ago, and for some reason went from my usual 40-50ms to 300-400ms, which was very noticeable Sunday afternoons BT :( Tried these fixes today, and bam, I'm back to ~50ms :D

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Bump, this is still relevant even in patch 3.3 and with Windows 7. Dropped me from 150 ms to 20-30.