Lower your latency

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Was posted in the shoutbox by Hom.

Ayu and me have also tested it now, all three of us went from 100+ ms to 20-30 (for me and Ayu), Hom had more, is now at 50 or so.

Defo worth to try!

International lag fix
WoW lags, it's not something new if you're playing on servers a bit far away from your country, but don't worry people are fixing it ! Out of all the methods offered to fix the lag on your machine, one of them posted on Elitistjerks forums seems to work very well.

<> <> <> Read this first <> <> <>
1 - It might have side effects, like slowing down your download speed or affecting your performance on other softwares. (In my case, it didn't change anything)
2 - If you're not sure about what you're doing, just don't do it. I don't want to be responsible because you crashed your computer in some way because you wasted your registry.
2.1 - Seriously, if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. It will be fixed in one or two weeks anyway. (and the official fix won't have any impact on other softwares)
3 - If you don't have the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\ directory, you can download and apply this file to your registry.
4 - Windows Vista users might want to check this post too.

Source - Elitistjerks.com

"1 - TcpAckFrequency - NOTE if you are running Windows Vista this setting may not have any effect - a hotfix is needed which i'm tracking down. This works fine under Windows XP

Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu

Then find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\

There will be multiple NIC interfaces listed in there, find the one you use to connect to the internet, there will be several interfaces listed (they have long names like {7DBA6DCA-FFE8-4002-A28F-4D2B57AE8383}. Click each one, the right one will have lots of settings in it and you will see your machines IP address listed there somewhere. Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TcpAckFrequency, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.

You can change it back to 2 (default) at a later stage if it affects your other TCP application performance. it tells windows how many TCP packets to wait before sending ACK. if the value is 1, windows will send ACK every time it receives a TCP package.

2 - TCPNoDelay
This one is pretty simple (Discussed here)

Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu

Then find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters

Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TCPNoDelay, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.

Click Ok and close the registry editor, then reboot your PC."

Original post: http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=3031.0

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
any buffs around who know how (and if) this interacts with traffic shaping DSL drivers?

My latency *is* strangely high, usually around 100-150ms, and I have 6 MBit fastpath DSL..

N

Nydia

i did this a while ago, got weird lag in windows after a while. went down to 40-50 ms in wow though, was 100-150 before i applied these changes.
Reinstalled windows, and waiting for the wow patch to fix this.

K

Kirki

I'm the case mentioned in 2.1 :shy:

It's all Greek to me.... :S

Ye ye what an irony!!!

Aston

OIL?! STUPID ANIMALS!
Sep 9, 2005
Did this a while ago when Nydia first mentioned it, would highly recommend it. More than halved my latency <3

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
Can't seem to find: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters

Double and triple checked the registry, no dice.
suppose i'll have to wait for the patch

Hom

Aug 30, 2005
Ozzimandius said:
Can't seem to find: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters

Double and triple checked the registry, no dice.
suppose i'll have to wait for the patch

Goto Add / Remove Programs in the control panel. Click on Add / Remove windows components and tick message queuing. Restart and it should be there.

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
Thanks alot Hom and Ayu for the help, got it now and it works really well. My MS has dropped from above 100 to below 50. Huge improvement.
Thanks again.

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
btw, got any tips to get FPS up? i average about 6 to 9 in raids, gotten used to it. But you know what they say...the more the merrier.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Run only the addons you can't do without and try to avoid especially those that gather alot of data like some damagemeters. Recount especially pissed me off.

Apart from that, lower the gfx options I guess (don't lower spell detail too much though or you will miss crucial stuff and die to "invisible" AoE and such things).

Hom

Aug 30, 2005
2.3.2 Will disbale the nagle algorithm yes. However it is blizzard who denied they where using it anyway so who knows if they will actually do it properly. Either way once you have done this its simply a case of changing the 1 to 0 in the registry values you added to reenable it in windows and see if blizzard did fix it.

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\

I have 4 interfaces in there...3 of which have a lot of settings inc my computers ip address in them...do i modify them all or?

Hom

Aug 30, 2005
You only need to modify the one you connect to the internet with. I assume they cant all be hooked up to the net. Typing ipconfig /all into a command prompt should give you the info you need regarding which one is hooked up.

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
I have a wireless and a wired connection, which one of the two i use varies...so i guess that counts for two...dunno bout the other one though....