If you want a headache.. (Supposedly 1.11 patchnotes)

Titch

Oct 9, 2005
I reckon they're fake. If not, they're utterly rubbish for mages (unless all the good stuff is in the talent changes). But I don't recognise any of it from the hints that the CMs have given so far. e.g. a CM said that an existing mage spell would be changed in a fun way and that the changes would reduce mages' down time between fights. Can't see either of those here.

Frist mages see to get it the worst: snare suffering dimishing returns, chill not being applied so often, and FB's not slowing down as much....

The fake patch notes that someone posted in the mages forums about a week ago were much more believable ;-)

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
Braque said:
Joyma said:
Anshrr said:
So your saying since shaman is imba and needs a nerf, so should mages?
;p
CS is neither dominating in PVE or PVP, so not sure what this is supposed to mean :?

Says a warrior. Try PvP (or even just dueling) with a healer class vs a mage.

A) Trinkets / AP, Massive Crit
B)Bubble
B) Starts Healing at 50% hp
A) Counterspell
B) /lol
B2)spam cleanse and SoC/JoC
B3)pwn mage
B) /win

OP
G

Ok, let's try to look at the Mage changes posted here in an objective way. They seem very realistic, and I won't be surprised at all if they are true.

Patchnotes said:
- Evocation trainable at lvl 20.

Excellent change.

Patchnotes said:
- Arcane explosion instant without talents, talent removed.

Another excellent change. Will make Fire/Frost builds much more usable. Almost all PvE heavy mages have at least 15 points in Arcane now, to get the instant Arcane Explosion.

Patchnotes said:
- Mana shield redesigned, now reduces damage taken by the mage, but has a 30 charge limit. While mana shield is up, mage is not affected by mana burn or mana drain, but those attacks will destroy mana shield very fast.

Interesting change. How good it is really depends on how much each attack that hits you is reduced.

Patchnotes said:
- Frost chills will now suffer from the 15 second diminishing effects.

Ouch. Whether you call this a bugfix or a nerf, it's obviously bad for mages. No more chain Frostbolting to kite level 61 elites with 40k health.

Patchnotes said:
- Frost spells will now correctly receive damage bonus from curse of elements.

Oh, they fixed this again? :?

Patchnotes said:
- Lower ranks of polymorph will not affect higher level targets.

Sounds like a bugfix to me. Not really relevant.

Patchnotes said:
- Counterspell cooldown lowered.

By how much? It's 30 seconds now. Anyway, good for Mages, obviously.

Patchnotes said:
- Flamestrike direct damage increased, DoT lowered, total damage remains the same.

A small improvement, I guess. I'd rather have seen a reduction in casting time combined with the addition of a cooldown on this spell.

Patchnotes said:
- Arcane power now creates a cooldown equal to its duration, preventing it from being used together with trinkets like ToEP and
ZHC.

Another bugfix/nerf. Obviously bad for Mages. This change makes my cry :cry: I was having so much fun, 2-Maging Scholo, but this change will make that much, much harder.

Patchnotes said:
- Dampen Magic and Amplify magic now will decrease or increase magic and healing effects by percentage.

Good! Depending on the percentage, this might actually make an almost completely useless spell somewhat useful.

On the other hand, the fixed amount of reduction was pretty nice on for example Chromaggus, where it reduced the damage of each tick to 1. DM won't be as effective there anymore.

Patchnotes said:
- Detect magic duration increased.

"Yay" :| From 60 seconds to 90 seconds or something?

Patchnotes said:
- Ice armor wow reduces all physical damage taken, increases frost resistance, and reduces damage taken from frost spells. While ice armor is in effect, chill effects on the mage is reduced, all melee
attacks against the mage will cause the attacker's attack and movement
speed to be reduced.

A nice buff to Ice Armor. Wonder if the physical damage reduction is better or worse than the current armor increase.

Patchnotes said:
- Mage armor now reduces all spell damage received, increases all magic resistances. While mage armor is up, all hostile spells have a chance to be reflected. Mage armor can't be dispelled or purged.

This sounds even better than the current mana regeneration, which doesn't really fit mages anyway. Especially with Evocation being a non-talent spell, this is a nice buff.

Patchnotes said:
- Fire ward will now absorb a higher amount of fire damage. While fire ward is up, mage will not be affected by impact or blastwave slowing effect.

Small buff.

Patchnotes said:
- Frost ward will now absorb a higher amount of damage. While frost ward is up, mage will not be affected by frost nova or frostbite, and will be immune to freeze traps.

Nice buff, mostly for PvP.

Patchnotes said:
- Frostbolt's chill effect will now slow less, but will last longer.

Eh, no idea whether this is good or bad.

Patchnotes said:
- Lower rank spells have a lower chance to proc frostbite, ice armor will no longer proc frostbite.

Bugfix/nerf. Sounds reasonable to me, but it's worse than what it is now.

Patchnotes said:
- New spell: Steal magic. When activated, next non-AoE spell cast on the mage can be stolen, and its effects canceled, but if the spell is resisted, it can't be stolen. If the spell is stolen, the mage can cast that spell once, damage will be equal to damage received by the mage, not affected by damage gear or effects, but can be affected by arcane power. Holy spells can't be stolen.

Interesting new spell. Really wonder if this is true.

It seems to be a bit like the Shaman's Grounding Totem. This will probably be an instant spell, which gives you a buff that lasts some seconds, and the first spell that hits you while you have the buff is "stolen". Then, casting the stolen spell, hmmm, instant? Or using the casting time of the spell itself? Do you -have- to cast it?

Sounds fun, and would make Mage vs Mage/Lock fights more fun :)

Patchnotes said:
- Clearcasting can no longer be dispelled or purged. Fixed bug where clearcasting would not be used up.

Bugfix.

So, all in all it seems to be more positive than negative changes. The Diminishing Returns on chill, combined with the reduction of burst damage through Arcane Power, gives Mages less survivability than they have now. I wonder if this will be compensated somehow, and if so, how exactly.

Not sure if I'm happy with these changes, but we'll see.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Braque said:
Joyma said:
Anshrr said:
So your saying since shaman is imba and needs a nerf, so should mages?
;p
CS is neither dominating in PVE or PVP, so not sure what this is supposed to mean :?

Says a warrior. Try PvP (or even just dueling) with a healer class vs a mage.

A) Trinkets / AP, Massive Crit
B) Starts Healing at 50% hp
A) Counterspell
B) /cry
A) /win

Note that I have a priest and have PVP'd with her plenty. PVP is not about duels, it's about playing as team, where CS is useful but not overpowered.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Yeah, sorry, I forgot i was a total noob that can't heal and never did pvp. Thanks for the reminder.

OP
G

Braque said:
Yeah, sorry, I forgot i was a total noob that can't heal and never did pvp. Thanks for the reminder.

Stop being so bitter. PvP isn't about duels, and duels are crap anyway - they only lead to whining. "trinket this, AP that, sheep such, fear so, heals are OP, stuns suck" blah blah blah.

Duels aren't representative from "real" PvP situations; of course a mage can win if all his cooldowns are up, his opponent is sheeped, and he gets lucky crits.

Hom

Aug 30, 2005
Patchnotes said:

Ouch. Whether you call this a bugfix or a nerf, it's obviously bad for mages. No more chain Frostbolting to kite level 61 elites with 40k health.

The 15 sec diminishing returns usually only affects PVP.

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
Duels are crap, it's fake pvp.

However, if you're a pvp'er like me, you like MASS pvp, as in AV, and in AV very few play toghether. There you raid mostly to get more honor/rep, not to work toghether. And also, in AV, doing stuff "alone" you'll get nuked, try to heal before u die, and get cs'd. Or, you catch some nobb alone, and try to kill him, which is ofc impossible, as he will cs you, just in time for the shaman to come shock you all the way to the outlands. I really don't like shaman in pvp. ;p

OP
H

Habit

Bandits
Cutting-Gedang amended this capacity may be, or get back, or did not hit a mistake.
Then-amended lightning struck, the destruction of tropical shield will be in the wrong state
Laser-resistance can now be correct.
Impulse - response approach is now energy adjustment, the overall response rate unchanged.

Eeeek, all fear our new LASERS!

OP
G

Hom said:
Patchnotes said:

The 15 sec diminishing returns usually only affects PVP.

"Usually"? I noticed that stuns from Seal of Justice and from Impact (10% stun-on-fire-spell proc) are affected by DR too. But we'll see, you could be right of course :)

OP
K

Kizza

as far as a druid is concerned, diminishing returns do not affect pve