Great low-tech offline games

Mista

The Rogue
Aug 28, 2005
to return to the topic for a moment;
Agree with ded (as usual (bayonetta hooo), you gotta get "Braid" & "Machinarium", two lovely games.
If you like the dungeon crawlers like diablo and put that in a gory space pixel version, I strongly recommend "Alien Shooter Vengence".
- Civilization III
- Heroes of Might & Magic III
- Fallout 1 & 2
- Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 with expansions, (BG2 is the best game ever made)
- Planescape Torment (also the best game ever made)
- The Monkey Island 1 & 2 remakes.
- Trine (New retro style puzzle/platformer)
- Arcanum (baldurs gate style rpg in steampunk world)

there, a good many hours of some of my best PC game ever.

Mystara

Master of Elements
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
Does BG2 even work on Vista?

I dug out some old discs from a friends house and it just crashes out when you have to right click items :s

Oh and big shout out for the Age of Empires games. They don't need too much power to pump out usable graphics. I'd recommend reading the Age of Empires Wiki

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Take a look at some real classics:

- Master of Orion (Part 1 and 2 are absolute classics! Stay far away from Part 3 though, it sucks donkeycock and isn't very good either)
- Master of Magic

You'll most likely need Dosbox to run those. MoO2 can run under Windows but I'm not sure Vista/7 can handle it's ancientness.

Mista

The Rogue
Aug 28, 2005
Does BG2 even work on Vista?

I dug out some old discs from a friends house and it just crashes out when you have to right click items :s[/url]

No idea, havent played it quite a while, but dont see a reason why it shouldnt. Also if it isnt, Im sure there's a fix/soultion for it. A too good of a game for someone not to have made one.

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
Ye it works, even works on win7, though I have to admit it did feel oh so outdated and slow when I played it recently, not a game that aged well imo.

Mystara

Master of Elements
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
Meh at least on my pc it either a) occasionally freezes when equipping items or b) right clicking an item can pop an error of CVidcell larger then fx.

Mind you I should probs look for patches or something :p

Mystara

Master of Elements
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
Set it so it was Compatibility on 2000 rather than XP and seems to be working fine now. Turned the settings down from the max one (which it auto put me in) and it seems to be working fine now.

Careface

Death by sexy
May 31, 2007
Just bumping this instead of starting a new thread.

Anyone know of/use a good emulator? Hook me up with a link please wanna play some NES games :)

Mystara

Master of Elements
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
From memory Jnes (I think) was fairly good when I was running it on my laptop about 4 years ago.

OP
Bani

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
Just wanted to bump this, also to say thanks for the ideas! :D
Gonna have to check out Machinarium. Most of the others I already played.
I am not interested in playing emulation/old games though, I've played them back then and since then dug out SNES, N64 etc emulators on soooo many platforms that I just can't be bothered anymore. I also just bought a Netbook, so will be very interested in which games to install there - Worms Reloaded or Civ 5 maybe, those would rock!

Mystara

Master of Elements
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
Since i've been cursed with communist internet workmen who refuse to work if it rains a tiny bit I blitzed Baldur's Gate 2 and yeah it didn't age that well but the story is still just as good as ever even if you do say/click on the wrong person you end up dead because of the city guards which did get tiring but oh well....

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
Just noticed Gombur's link and saw it has Total Annihilation Commander Pack on it. By far the best RTS game I've ever played, and even if the graphics are somewhat outdated now the game play remains as good as ever.