Cake inside

Gilbert

Oct 26, 2005
I am considering to buy a new comp as mine is totally shit etc :<

So, I got around 1k euro to spend if I decide to buy one, and haven't got a clue what would be the best way to spend it, how much ram should I aim for? stick to XP or get something else? Want a comp that's good for running games, as that's what I mainly use it for, not 100% sure ill buy one, because in 2 months ill be in the army for a year, so might wait till after. but anyway, any tips in case I decide to buy one? :)

Ded

is Ded
Mar 4, 2007
At least 2gb ram. If you're going for XP, don't bother with any more as it won't really use it. XP is good, I personally wouldn't choose Vista.. Video Card is probably the most important thing, but brand new ones are very expensive. Perhaps get the 2nd model down, as it won't be much worse but will be a lower price.

Basically, find a high powered game you like, check the specifications on that, and get that stuff (if you can afford it) :D

I'm not an expert tho, soo probably others with better advice ;)

Edit: Oh yeah, where's my cake??? Was it a lie? WAS IT?

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
Wait for Windows 7 imo.. And maybe just wait till after armyduty is done. Alot happends in a year, by the time you get back, you can probably get alot better stuff for the same amount of munnies :eek:

Jazende

Sacred vines, entangle the corrupted!
Staff member
May 12, 2008
rice+pie+sliced.JPG

Tbone

Apr 4, 2008
Liverpool
WHAT THE SHIT IS THIS? YOU PROMISE ME CAKE N ALL I SEEBIS THAT POS LEMONNEY ONE FROM Best Buddy? PULL YOUR FINGER OUT CAROL, CHOCOLATE OR GTFO

On a side note, i built my PC with hansen a few months back, got my hands on about 4gb ram coz i like the little windows that pop up when you hover over programs on the taskbar you get with vista n a "2nd model down" gfx card like Ded suggested n it only cost me £500, so depensing how different the prices are across the pond, you should be able to build a beast of a machine for 1k

N if you build yourself a really basic machine to start with, you could always add to it later on in the year

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
First of all;
Please ignore all the talk about waiting. Yes, you could wait for Win7. Then you should wait for the next generation graphics cards. Then you should probably wait for the next generation CPUs. Then you should probably wait for SSDs to get to a decent price level. Then you should wait for hell to freeze over 'cause that'll not be far off either. Did you wait for Easter and pentecoste to fall on the same day yet?

In computerland there's always something new right around the corner. My advise is to buy exactly when you need it (or preferably a day before so you've got time to install :p) as that's usually when the best stuff is available for the best price.

As for what to get:
OS: Get Vista or Win7 Release Candidate. Even with all the complaining, Vista is a decent OS and the only 64bit OS you can currently run any kind of decent on an average PC. (If you wanna be Braque then get a Mac. If you wanna be anyone else, don't :p) I could advise you to get Linux but I won't as I don't think it's any good for an average consumer at the moment.
Memory: Get 4GB. It's useful! Play WoW windowed and open a host of other windows without it hurting WoW performance. To be honest; you only really need 2GB but memory is so dirt cheap I would spend the extra €20 and get 4GB. Do get 2*2GB strips though so you'll have room to expand later.
CPU: Don't really have a preference here. I generally tend to go for Intel Core2Duo or Core2Quad so I can keep systems exchangeable with eachother. AMD has some nice offers though. At the moment the Intel Core i7 is a bit over the top IMHO.
Graphics: I'm quite partial to the ATi line of graphics cards at the moment. Especially since most nVidia cards around are just relabeled cards from 2 years back and the naming scheme is really confusing. ATi 4770/4830/4850 are very nicely priced at the moment and good bang for the buck.

In total you should be able to get some very decent stuff for about €500. If you really want to spend more then my choices would be:
- 2 monitors. It works so damn nice! I'm using 2*20" but at the moment 2*24" is quite affordable
- SSD. Why? Ask Joys. I'm running off an SSD on my notebook at the moment and suddenly the storage isn't the bottleneck anymore. The notebook is still crap but less then it was before :D
- Decent keyboard/mouse set. It'll save you your health and pains all over the place. A decent set can cost anything up to about €150 though. My mouse alone cost me €90 when I first bought it.
In any case: Try not to overspend. I know you have 1k available but you'd probably rather spend 500 now and 500 later and have the same experience for a longer time.

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
Croga said:
(If you wanna be Braque then get a Mac. If you wanna be anyone else, don't :p)

Hey! I used a mac for ages!
Though I did lag around Shatt and Dalaran like a headless chicken, I could raid without too much lag. BC at least was fine, but Naxx multiple trashpack aoe'ing could do horrible things to my fps :G
I bought a gamer PC package through http://www.komplett.no for 12k NoK and got a Vista from "a guy", that works great.
Now I just use my macs for everything but games. Music, videos, photos, movies, MSN, Vent, you name it. And I have it set up right next to my gaming only PC, so it's kinna like dual screens. 24" PC and 20" mac.

Uh, I forgot if I had a point. :S

edit:

http://www.komplett.no/k/ci.aspx?sku=10394

536,92 Euro.

Click "Konfigurer selv."
Upgrade from 2gb memory to 4gb for 20ish Euro or so.
Get a 9800GT graphic card for another 35ish Euro.
Then get a decent screen, keyboard/mouse, maybe use your old stuff?

Last cost: 597,84 Euro, including Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium.

Any thoughts?

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Nice one Gink but....
- I'd go for a faster processor. Pentium Dualcore isn't really the best. Either for the E7### or the Q9###
- I would stay away from the 9800GT. It's two generations old (it is actually a relabeled 8### series). The 4850 is the same price and a lot better bang for the buck.
- Get a 64 bit Operativsystem.

All in all it still does sound a bit expensive to be honest....... I personally would never buy from Komplett but that's just because the Dutch branche sucks donkeycock.

OP
Gilbert

Gilbert

Oct 26, 2005
I'm happy with my mouse/keyboard/screen so don't really need to buy that
Definitely don't need to spend 1k to get something that's good enough for me, but yea it's probably more expensive in Norway.. Anyway I'm not aiming for an extra monitor, simply being able to tab out from a game without it taking 1min to get back in is good enough for me :p I need to read up on Graphic cards and processors before I decide to buy something anyway. Really don't have a clue now so do not really know which series are outdated or actually worth the money.

Thanks for the useful info <3 Gonna look more into it tomorrow

Galatea

Oct 28, 2005
Gink said:
Though I did lag around Shatt and Dalaran like a headless chicken, I could raid without too much lag. BC at least was fine, but Naxx multiple trashpack aoe'ing could do horrible things to my fps :G

must have been your mac, I dont lag around dala

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Wow that's pretty smooth, but I don't see why anyone would ever want to use it <_<

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
The WoW demo was streaming nearly 2 MB/s per second in a quiet starting area, no way this is gonna end well in raids or 5 mans even. <_<

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Because it pushes all the load onto the server, if your shitty PC can run flash video it can run whatever raid / city zone the server can run. It'll never be as responsive as a decent PC setup on a fast connection, but I'm betting there are a lot of people out there (in our raid group even) that it'd make raids work better for. You won't get freezes / disconnects during AOE, you'd get compression artifacts.

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Braque said:
if your shitty PC can run flash video it can run whatever raid / city zone the server can run.

You do realize, hopefully, that even flash video takes a lot out of a PC.... especially at the resolutions we play WoW at. And the requirement for bandwidth will be higher, not lower, if you try to send graphics across instead of actions.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Oh, thanks Croga, I didn't know anything about how computer games worked until you came along and schooled me.

/sigh

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
haha

Anyways, it might be nice for 3rd world countries or something <_<