be horrified

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
Well, I like to think that I took pretty good care of my computer back when I was still using XP and it still gave me lots of trouble on a regular basis, which lead to doing format c: on a yearly basis just to get things running smoothly again.

Sure, virus/trojan scanners are nice and all. I'd get some for the Mac too if only there was someone out there that actually wrote viruses for OSX.

About the mouse: The bundled 1-button mouse certainly is awkward, which is why I got me a 5-button mouse. (All the buttons and the scroll wheel work both in WoW and in OSX)

I find it interesting that more and more home users are switching to Macs. Wasn't really that many years ago, when Macs were mostly used by professionals in the graphic industry where the Mac was somewhat undeniably considered the supreme system. Today, the tables have seemed to turn, since the new versions of the Adobe product families for instance, might actually perform better on a Windows platform. So the Macs are becomming more and more of an all purpose system instead of a workhorse for hardcore graphic designers.

G

George

Liandra said:
Tried Ubuntu recently? Linux has come a long way....

To be honest, I haven't used Linux in a couple of years. The last time I needed it, was when I was setting up a Bugzilla system for my last company. It wouldn't install on Windows, and they wouldn't let me buy a Mac to install it on :cry:

You're right in saying that Linux has come a long way, but I still don't believe it's ready for your average user. There's still too much that has to be done through the terminal, which is enough to scare most people off it. That's why Mac OS X is so great though; you can do everything by using the pretty interface and if you want some more power, fire up the terminal and tinker away to your hearts content. It's still UNIX at heart.

G

George

Anshrr said:
But does Mouse2 do anything? oO

'Mouse2' (it's still really a one button mouse, but it detects which side of the mouse you pressed and does something different for each side) pops up a contextual menu in the same way it does on Windows.

You've also got a two dimensional scroll ball, so can scroll horizontally as well as vertically. Squeezing the sides of the mouse can also do a user defined operation.

If you're bored, there's more info here: http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

However, the ergonomics of the mouse leave a lot to be desired. The Apple mouse is the only peripheral that comes with a Mac that I don't use. I don't like the feel of it, so use a Logitech mouse instead.

G

When did this become a topic about Macs, let's get back to the original topic: Gala's fine behind! :p