be horrified

G

Braque said:
You should show with raid UI up as well .... a healers screen is zen when soloing, and chaos in a raid group.

Cause of all the whispers? :lol:

OP
Galatea

Galatea

Oct 28, 2005
ofc a mention to a scripted addon that i use has to be done, pali.func, written by my husband, originally for pallies.. inclusions written for priests, druids, mages, and i think shaman?

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Job said:
Galatea said:
http://homepage.mac.com/flowergrrl77/wow/ui.jpg

erm, i guess i should warn you i play on a 12" screen laptop....

So you're playing on a mac ibook?
Since i was planning on buying one, but didn't think WoW was playable (especially raids....) on one....
So is it playable? And what upgrades did you took?

40 man raids are very slow framerate, especially during big AOE. Its okay for healing, but no good for melee. Wait for 1.9.3 and then get one of the new MacBooks!

K

Katre

OTOH, on a 15" powerbook it's just about acceptable most of the time.

OP
Galatea

Galatea

Oct 28, 2005
Braque said:
Job said:
Galatea said:
http://homepage.mac.com/flowergrrl77/wow/ui.jpg

erm, i guess i should warn you i play on a 12" screen laptop....

So you're playing on a mac ibook?
Since i was planning on buying one, but didn't think WoW was playable (especially raids....) on one....
So is it playable? And what upgrades did you took?

40 man raids are very slow framerate, especially during big AOE. Its okay for healing, but no good for melee. Wait for 1.9.3 and then get one of the new MacBooks!

its not that bad a frame rate! well that depends on wow too mind....

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
<-- Mac convert since summer '05

I'm running WoW on an iMac G5 (2GHz, 1GB). Runs pretty smooth except for Lagforge during peak hours, AV frontlines and during flame imps in MC. Since patch 1.9 the detail of spell effects can be lowered in advanced video options, which seems to improve performance during AoE spammage quite a bit.

Every major WoW patch and OSX upgrade have seemed to make the game run a little bit smoother. And according to Blizz, they are planning on further improving Mac performance in future patches.

J

Job

Natalya said:
<-- Mac convert since summer '05

I'm running WoW on an iMac G5 (2GHz, 1GB). Runs pretty smooth except for Lagforge during peak hours, AV frontlines and during flame imps in MC. Since patch 1.9 the detail of spell effects can be lowered in advanced video options, which seems to improve performance during AoE spammage quite a bit.

Every major WoW patch and OSX upgrade have seemed to make the game run a little bit smoother. And according to Blizz, they are planning on further improving Mac performance in future patches.

Thanks for all your replies in such a short time. You guys just made me buy a Mac! Just have to ..errr save up some money now :p.

G

George

Always makes me laugh when people are having issues with Windows, but they assume I'm joking when I tell them they wouldn't have these problems if they ran a Mac. I've been using a Macintosh since 1999, and I've never had to reinstall the operating system after a crash. I think I can count the number of times my current Mac (about 1.5 years old) has crashed on one hand.

Like Natalya, my machine doesn't have any problems with WoW except when there's a lot of action on the screen (new video card being ordered on payday ;) ).

Dual 1.8GHz G5 FTW :)

G

George said:
Always makes me laugh when people are having issues with Windows, but they assume I'm joking when I tell them they wouldn't have these problems if they ran a Mac.

Plus, a Mac is a billion times more secure than a Windows machine. I would /cheer if every computer noob would throw out their Windows machine and bought a Mac instead.

Blozzom

Nov 3, 2005
George said:
I've never had to reinstall the operating system after a crash. I think I can count the number of times my current Mac (about 1.5 years old) has crashed on one hand.
I can say the exactly same about Windows XP experience. I never had to re-install any Win XP setup so far (using it from day 1 when it came out) and can count the bad crashes on one hand (mostly my own fault by playing around with dodgy hardware and drivers) :)
It's all a matter of how well someone takes care of his system really. Regular defrag, updates and having a virus & trojan scanner installed (AND UP TO DATE!) make live sooo much easier :lol:

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Blozzom said:
....Regular defrag, updates and having a virus & trojan scanner installed....

And totally unnessesery and/or automatic on a OS X machine.

OP
Galatea

Galatea

Oct 28, 2005
Anshrr said:
macintosh smackintosh.
You only get one mouse button on a mac.
Plus it's trendy. And we don't like trendy things. /frown

;)

it used to be considered geeky back when i changed.. and no, the mouse I use has two buttons and a scroll wheel.... :D

G

George

Blozzom said:
....Regular defrag, updates and having a virus & trojan scanner installed....

You don't have to defrag a Macintosh harddrive. The OS does it for you on the fly behind the scenes. Virus/trojan scanners are unnecessary on a Mac at the moment, and will be for the forseeable future I think. Regular updates are of course necessary whichever OS you're running; update checks can be scheduled in the same way as Windows, but updates for Mac OS X are far less frequent than updates for Windows.

Anshrr said:
You only get one mouse button on a mac.

Not true any more. You can opt for a two button mouse if you so wish.

The reason I use a Mac and not Windows, is because I'm far more productive on a Mac. I get jobs done more quickly and easily than I do on other operating systems. The OS is way better than any of Microsoft's attempts, and more user friendly than Linux.

Might get off my high horse now ;)

G

Blozzom said:
It's all a matter of how well someone takes care of his system really. Regular defrag,

Overrated. Used to be an issue with old harddisks, but isn't really an issue anymore.

Blozzom said:
updates and having a virus & trojan scanner installed (AND UP TO DATE!) make live sooo much easier :lol:

This is absolutely true. However, don't forget the always important "brain" part in this: even with an up to date virus/trojan scanner you can still infect your system and/or ruin it and/or crash it by doing stupid things. :wink:

G

George said:
The reason I use a Mac and not Windows, is because I'm far more productive on a Mac. I get jobs done more quickly and easily than I do on other operating systems. The OS is way better than any of Microsoft's attempts, and more user friendly than Linux.

Tried Ubuntu recently? Linux has come a long way....