BC preview: raids to be 25 man instead of 40

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
fucking guilds over oO
guess they will go with 2 raids, but still :G

like the way it is now, 40 man end games, and more casual friendly 20/10 mans. making endgame raids 25 man just kinna sucks imho.
also it kills letting raid groups take advantages of diffrent speccs, like furries ( :cry: ) spose theres only room for warrs tanking in these raids :S

i might be rushing my opinion, but thats was first thing that came to mind anyways.

edit: too tired to read anything but the title, so dont cut my head off if theres something int here that shoots my first impression down :p

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I love that change. Now we can get back at kicking the n00bs :D

Seriously though, 25 is great. It will require alot more skill and attention from a single player than nowadays. Healers will have something to do again and not get bored because there is just too much healing going on, DPS won't be able to afford to slack anymore because it would spell wipe, thus requiring more attention. Tanking stays the way it is, I guess.

Also, interesting enough they are doing what I expected. Paladin tanking is being buffed. Now with every faction having them, Blizzard can give both Shamans and Paladins a more important role (you could not give Paladins a great tanking ability (more than Shamans) in raids, because then you'd have 3 classes that cank tank in Alliance and only 2 in Horde which skewed dungeon design over).

Looking forward to the Xpak :)

OP
G

So what size will the ZG's and AQ20's be in expansion? I do like the idea of smaller raids, but smaller than 20? Not sure about that :(

30 and 20 would have been good imo. Guess it'll be 25 and 15 or so.

OP
K

kak

i dont know what i think of that. i agree with all ayu said. 25 means raid will need to be more skilled and pay more attention. but what it means is someone will get cut, thats gonna be tough :/. :p most guilds will need to chuck out half their players, since the pooi of players will be just too big. sigh at this.

OP
K

kak

though about it a bit :p with shamans included as well can have 3 of every class but locks and hunters. only have 2 each of them :p hmmmmmmmm /sigh :p:p

OP
K

Katre

Johras said:
So what size will the ZG's and AQ20's be in expansion? .... Guess it'll be 25 and 15 or so.
Without wanting to spoil things by reading the article, it says 25 and 10.

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
otoh, using PvP honor points as currency rather than having the ladder system sounds awsome tho :D

to bad the arena matches prolly getting instanced, so you cant wacth the matches :G
unless they put some kind of fence around the arena so ppl cant interfere etc, use some portal that will only port the people whose turn it is etc.

OP
U

Ursanis

kak said:
most guilds will need to chuck out half their players, since the pooi of players will be just too big. sigh at this.
I guess bliz just reckons that only like 65% of most guilds ranks will make it to the BC.
Considering for one thing how certain changes have been received thats not too crazy an assumption imo

OP
K

kak

well yeah, lots of guilds have been struggling with numbers and such. i experienced this when i was in SoS. so it seems for guilds that are in a bit of a rut right now a 25 man instance seems to be very welcoming. i think it will stop alot of QQing from many people, but will open other things to QQ about. tbh im kinda qqing right now :D:D:D

Ribena

Jan 19, 2006
Ouch, that seems lame.

40 man instances are one of the coolest things in this game, imo.

OP
K

kak

well rib the issue aint it not being cool anymore. imo it will be even cooler, at a cost. guilds are gonna have to tell 15 people to sit out, people that thye have possibly played with since the start of the game, people who they call friends and stuff. they could recruit more to make 2 raids but then how do you make those equal, and what happens if one does better than the other. too much qq there, guilds will get split :p.

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
kak said:
well rib the issue aint it not being cool anymore. imo it will be even cooler, at a cost. guilds are gonna have to tell 15 people to sit out, people that thye have possibly played with since the start of the game, people who they call friends and stuff. they could recruit more to make 2 raids but then how do you make those equal, and what happens if one does better than the other. too much qq there, guilds will get split :p.

Very few raids have EXACTLY 40 members. Either they have to few, in which they use pickups, or they have to many, where someone has to go on reserve.

I see this as a buff to smaller guilds really. Plus, having to get 25people to focus for one more try, has to be easier than 40 :<

Gymlee

Aug 26, 2005
I think it will create some tension and whining at first, splitting up a guild into two raids is complicated and for those guilds who dont split up people will miss out on quite a few raids.

But in the long run I think this change is quite smart. Some players will quit before the expansion comes out, some might not buy it, and some might try it and hate it. More and more people will quit WoW, and I don't think there will be new players to replace them because most people who would buy this game already have it, and for new players its getting harder and harder to catch up because the amount of end game content is increasing.

And indeed, a raid with 25 people is far easier to manage than one with 40.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Gymlee said:
And indeed, a raid with 25 people is far easier to manage than one with 40.
That is not entirely true, if the new 25-man content will really require more flexibility, and multiple roles for hybrids, this would actually make managing a raid more complex. Ideally, each of those 25 people would know what to do where, but it's never that easy

So, you have all those hybrids with multiple roles (and new abilities), that want to know if they need to heal, or dps, or tank, or kite, and depending on the setup of the group, that could be different every day and week.

And, organisation wise, inviting 39 people is not any more complex than 24, while replacing people is easier with a larger raidpool, and AFK-ness and d/c's have a smaller impact on 40-man raids, than on 25/20-man.

OP
G

Well I quite like the idea of somewhat smaller raids (usually more pet-friendly :p), but 15 less is quite a big step imo :eek:

On the plus side, means we can get rid of <insert your name here> ;)