Ayu's new computer

Chirrad

Sep 29, 2009
SSD: Only worth it if you got money to burn.

I'm guessing you don't have one then Croga. Find me someone who has an SSD that doesn't think they were worth the investment. WoW definitely benefits from an SSD on things like a UI reload, entering a new zone, flying into a populated area.

also: realise that you can set up a proper game system for about 2/3rds of that money at the moment..... A decent i5 processor and HD5830 will get you pretty much similar performance for a couple hundred euro less.

TBH you can pick any amount over €500 and build a "game system". It just depends on what settings in games you're willing to define as acceptable. For me that's running in 1920x1200 at high settings. Plenty of companies making lots of money selling gaming systems for well into the thousands, because they just play games better. You just pick a budget and aim at it.

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
I'm guessing you don't have one then Croga. Find me someone who has an SSD that doesn't think they were worth the investment. WoW definitely benefits from an SSD on things like a UI reload, entering a new zone, flying into a populated area.
I used to have an SSD. Replaced it with a fast HDD (not even a Raptor, just a decent 1TB disk) and the difference really isn't all that big. (you gain more by using 2 or 3 separate harddrives) Yes, UI reload and zone changes go faster. They take about 10 seconds for me, would take about 5 seconds on an SSD. But if you spend the difference in money on a better CPU/GPU you get a higher framerate which is always preferable. Given the choice of speeding up idle time versus speeding up play time I will always choose the latter.
TBH you can pick any amount over €500 and build a "game system". It just depends on what settings in games you're willing to define as acceptable. For me that's running in 1920x1200 at high settings. Plenty of companies making lots of money selling gaming systems for well into the thousands, because they just play games better. You just pick a budget and aim at it.
I partially agree with this.....
I run WoW at 1920*1080, maximum settings on a Core2Duo with an HD5830. This means that there is currently no reason to spend more then the ~500 to play WoW. Saving those other 500 for an upgrade at the moment the current system won't run WoW decently anymore. That 500 at that time will buy you more then the 1000 will buy you now. Hence why I never go for top-of-the-bill hardware anymore; it's just not worth it (combined with the added power cost; an HD5870 will cost you twice the electricity an HD5830 will cost you).
That having been said; if anyone wants to spend 1000 euros on a PC then I will not stop them and will still try to point them to the best value-for-money.

I used to be in the "set a budget and get the best for that money" camp. Now i'm in the "decide what you want to do with it and get the cheapest system that will do just that" camp. Money is a finite resource and should be treated like that.

Jazende

Sacred vines, entangle the corrupted!
Staff member
May 12, 2008
At the moment I'm looking at the following "core" pieces:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1956
Socket 1156 DDR3 Memory DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/2000*/2133* (OC) Memory Channel Dual SATAII USB 2.0 ports (Rear) 6 M-ATX

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48504
Socket 1156, 3.6GHz, 32nm, 73W TDP, SSE4.2 Enhanced Speedstep (EIST), Intel 64, XD-Bit, Intel VT, Turbo Boost, Intel HT

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=130&prod_no=2029
ATI R5850, 1GB GDDR5 256bit, PCIe, 1x DVI, HDMI, Displayport, 725MHz GPU, 4000MHz memory, DirectX 11, 2 mounted fans

CORSAIR 4GB Kit XMS3 New Classic (2x2GB)
1333MHz DDR3 9-9-9-24

Since I'm likely missing some compatability issue.. any comments? :p

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
Bumping this thread as I'm looking for a new internal harddisk around 1TB. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
good harddisks? Just get the cheapest one available m8. There realy is no discernible difference.
Oh, and dont get a harddisk, just get an SSD ;)

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
Hey. Wondering if anyone here knows much about 3D stuff, because I can`t get this shit to work at all. :S

Just bought the Asus G73S laptop with 3D and Nvidia 3D vision glasses came along.
The only thing I`ve been able to view in 3D so far is the demo pictures that came along. Have downloaded Avatar 3D, been trying to view 3D videos on Youtube etc etc but can`t get it to work.

Is there some programs or something I have to get to make it work or something?
Any help would be appreciated, and please don`t think anything is too basic to explain, because my computer knowledge is pretty limited. :p Thanks!

Jazende

Staff member
May 12, 2008
For future reference, what did you do?

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
There was a 3D driver I had to update. Updated the graphic driver but I missed another driver for the 3D thingamabob.

Works perfectly now though, and it`s awesome. Might try out WoW in a couple weeks when I can get a hold of my discs and internet at the same time.

Do you still have my pw btw Best Buddy? I`ve forgotten it :G

Tyche

The Punisher
Dec 30, 2008
The Netherlands
WoW 3D is quite amazing yea, my dad has it and it's quite cool. Rest makes me dizzy too fast for my liking, tried Dirt 3d iirc and that made me dizzy within like 30secs. WoW isnt that bad however. :)

Jazende

Staff member
May 12, 2008
Eh, I really don't know Ginkm8 :<
I remember your acc name but not sure about pass.

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
Tried various games yesterday. DAO was quite good, as was Oblivion, DA2 was fairly good as well. FO:NV was a let down, but it might help to tweak some settings around.
Didn`t notice any signs of dizzyness. :eek:

Sent you a pm Jazzy Jeff!

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
Hijacking this as I need a new microphone / headset for my desktop computer.

Can anyone recommend something that is not overly expensive, but still quality?