Ayu's new computer

Chirrad

Sep 29, 2009
You people saying that SSDs are unnecessary have obviously never used one! An SSD is probably the best performance improvement you can make to any computer, well worth the money IMO. I've got 2 x 30GB SSDs, which didn't cost a massive amount, in RAID 0. Obviously not enough for everything - I have a normal hard drive for documents, and programs which I don't run, but it's enough for Windows 7 + WOW and makes a massive difference.

The thing I used to use to compare was flying into Dalaran - before I put an SSD in, the whole system would slow down as it loaded (presumably) the models for each player. Now all of that is gone - characters still appear slowly, but it no longer makes the motion on the screen stop.

If you can afford it, get yourself an SSD! You won't regret it, and costs have fallen significantly (though yes, they are still a lot more than hard drives).

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
I'm using a RAID5 of SATA drives but I have 1TB available instead of a mere 60GB and I've never even seen the problem you're mentioning except for on really "Dalaran heavy days" but then everybody has it....

Chirrad

Sep 29, 2009
I have large amounts of space available, you just don't need everything to be on the same drive! You obviously don't care too much about disk performance if you're running raid 5 anyway! I still have large amounts of storage available (both in another drive in my main system, and on a RAID NAS for important stuff); I just don't have everything running off an SSD. There is no need, for example, to have your movies + mp3s on an SSD, same with your windows swapfile (assuming you bought enough RAM so that you wouldn't need one much!)

I'll stick to my original opinion - you've never used an SSD, or you would also be converted!

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
I'd choose RAID 5 over RAID 0 any day. Either of your disks die you loose everything.... been there, done that.. never again

Chirrad

Sep 29, 2009
I would agree if there was anything important on that drive. It would only take me 2 hours to reinstall Windows + WOW if one of them died, and everything else is either on a hard drive in the same computer, or on my raid 5 NAS (slower but reliable). The speed advantage given by raid 0 is massive, but as you have seen, it comes with a risk.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I really don't think I can afford SSD, thanks for the opinions tho

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
If you go SSD, that's obviously not meant for your storage. I run program files, windows, and some very select games (WoW/MorriganSim) on the SSD, rest goes on raid 5 SATA disks. Note that SSD's have no moving parts so much less prone to actually "dying".

Braque explained HT quite nicely, you wont miss it.

Ordered yet? :D

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Just finalising some things. I have some doubts about the case, 100 euros for just that seems quite high. :Q

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Yea, it's definitely a spot you can go cheaper on, but it does cost you looks and often effective cooling. Which can annoy you in summer.

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
Just stealing ayu's thread briefly, hope you don't mind :p

Gonna get a new computer myself soon, though going for laptop. Was thinking of going for http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/La .... hs1&~ck=mn (the core i7 version, and will probably upgrade to SSD harddrive, mostly due to reports of the standard hard drive with it being a bit temperamental). It feels reasonable value for money to me but i have no idea tbh, anyone know of anything better around?

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Ayu said:
http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90301194/d2/Technische-Daten/techsolo-tc-72-miditower-silber.asp is my current one, what's wrong with that one?

You mean, other than looking like it was designed for a 13 year old boys bedroom. In the 80s.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Cronocious said:
Just stealing ayu's thread briefly, hope you don't mind :p

Gonna get a new computer myself soon, though going for laptop. Was thinking of going for http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/La .... hs1&~ck=mn (the core i7 version, and will probably upgrade to SSD harddrive, mostly due to reports of the standard hard drive with it being a bit temperamental). It feels reasonable value for money to me but i have no idea tbh, anyone know of anything better around?

As much as I want to tell you it's rubbish and recommend an Apple PowerBook, the truth is Dell have *really* upped their game recently, and are now putting out quality laptops at sensible prices.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Ordered now, managed to stay at 700 even after downgrading the case and the HDD to 750 GBs. Thanks alot for the help. <3

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Lol Ayu, cute case :p

750 should do fine, but I thought you wanted to spend more ;)

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Joyma said:
Lol Ayu, cute case :p

750 should do fine, but I thought you wanted to spend more ;)

I was gonna to at first but the opinions here convinced me that it is smarter to buy a 2nd graphics card/HDD later on after I got told what SLI is. :Q
Also, it's not about how the case looks anyway, it has 3 fans, a big one at the front and 2 smaller ones on the side and back which were plenty to keep it all cool.

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Ah yea I didn't realise you could re-use your old case, since I presume your mobo blew? Usually wouldn't use an old case to be able to sell or re-use the old PC as complete package.

So new PC on monday then? Or are they slacking today/saturday? :p

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I actually ordered a cheap 25 euro case because I forgot how much damaged the case is (atleast one HDD spot is useless), the idea was to move the fans from the old case into my old one.

And about that, I dunno. Some parts had 2-3 delivery time and then there is christmas inbetween so meh. :Q

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
Ordered my 2nd GeForce GTX260 yesterday! 10 days delivery time ftl.. but it's a nice upgrade to my current comp :D

SLI ftw!