Android, the real mobile platform

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Ye I got mine from Vodafone....

I ordered mine on wednesday afternoon, wednesday around dinnertime they called me confirming my order, saying they'd come by on friday. The next day I got a mail confirming the phonecall and telling me more specifically when they'd come by on friday, and on friday the delivery-man called me making sure I was home to receive the order. Was like awesome!

Sounds good indeed. Too bad Vodafone was too expensive for what I wanted. Also; I've now got 1 TMobile, 1 KPN and 1 Vodafoon so wherever I go I'll be able to call :)

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
KPN cheaper than Vodafone wut? Vodafone even has free internet, KPN doesn't afaik? Weird :<

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
KPN cheaper than Vodafone wut? Vodafone even has free internet, KPN doesn't afaik? Weird :<

Vodafoon's "free" internet is only for the foon&web&sms thingy, which is more expensive then the same foon&sms version. "free" is a very relative term..... (when you look at the details they even admit that it costs EUR7 per month)
In the end I'd have to pay EUR 29,50 per month at Vodafoon where I pay EUR 21,50 per month at KPN. Easy choise.

And one more very impotant thing: I regularly use my mobile to call when I'm at home. KPN gives me extra low mobile tarifs when calling from home (like, 1/10th of normal).

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Yea doubt they'll ever implement support in that for one specific shoutbox type :p

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
How easy would it be to get a new screen for an SGS and a Desire?

A friend my of mine dropped her Nexus One and it smashed

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
How easy would it be to get a new screen for an SGS and a Desire?

A friend my of mine dropped her Nexus One and it smashed

This is why you get a case, new screen is probably terribad expensive.

Galatea

Oct 28, 2005
This is why you get a case, new screen is probably terribad expensive.
Or in my case, a bank account that includes mobile phone insurance, which also covers accidental damage, such as a child putting it in a cup of tea!

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
such as a child putting it in a cup of tea!

Heh, one of your kids really did that? :p

On a nother note I still can't decide between SGS and Desire as they're so similar. Its probably going to be the Desire due to the stronger non-plastic case.

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
Any thoughts on the Desire, Croga & Tyche since you've just recently gotten it?

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Any thoughts on the Desire, Croga & Tyche since you've just recently gotten it?

My thoughts:

The HTC Desiré, as a hardware platform, is awesome. The screen is awesome, the feel of the casing is awesome, the whole thing is awesome.
As a software platform, Google Android delivers it's main promise: Bringing social media to the mobile. Facebook/Twitter/Flickr integration works very good (although the GMail app is kinda limited; they really should work on that!). If they manage to do the same with LinkedIn they may even draw a professional crowd.

What it does not deliver is interesting 3rd party apps. The Marketplace contains huge amounts of crap and very, very little useful stuff. The games look as if they were made for a Vic20 or maybe for a NES but they fall far short of what is available for the iPhone. Widgets are nice but aside from the ones deliverd by HTC themselves I have not found anything I'd want on my phone yet (and it's not for lack of searching mind you).

I also think the thing has too many hardware buttons. "back" shouldn't be hardware; I'm working with my finger on the screen to select an option, I don't want to use a hardware button to go back. The "navigation" thingy is superfluous as well with the touch screens of today. I think I like Apple's design better in this case.

All in all: If you like casual gaming, go for the iPhone! If you want social integration, by all means go for Android. And if you do, the Desiré is just about the best you can get at the moment.

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
actually I wish my Nexus one had hardware buttons instead of the touchscreen soft/hardware lovechild buttons it has :p

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Games will catch up I'm sure, they are fun and good enough for casual gaming, if you need more, get a DS man :p

I love having a few good HW buttons, I think 3 at the bottom is about perfect, then ofc power/volume. But that's surely personal flava.

Have you tried Beautiful Widgets and Launcher Pro Croga? Those are by far the best I've found and using them actively. Need the paid versions of course.

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Games will catch up I'm sure, they are fun and good enough for casual gaming, if you need more, get a DS man :p
I have a DS. Never used it since I got my iPhone. And no, they are not fun and definately not good enough now that I'm spoiled with stuff like CivRev, HeavyMach2 and Sentinel2 on the iPhone.
I love having a few good HW buttons, I think 3 at the bottom is about perfect, then ofc power/volume. But that's surely personal flava.
3 woulda been about perfect. Home, Menu, Search are useful. the other 2 should go.
Have you tried Beautiful Widgets and Launcher Pro Croga? Those are by far the best I've found and using them actively. Need the paid versions of course.
Gonna look at them now. And keep those tips coming :)