Android, the real mobile platform

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Also; Since when does the iPhone have a static UI? It still is fully customisable you know.

Try an iPhone, try an Android with Widgets, try an iPhone, try an Android again, you'll see the difference.

I'm on a horse.

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
Do both SGS and Desire have multi touch?

Edit: And how is the talk quality?

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Try an iPhone, try an Android with Widgets, try an iPhone, try an Android again, you'll see the difference.
I'm on a horse.

I will as soon as my <expletive deleted> Desire gets in........ Just look at Tyche's post and see that *again* old farts like me are discriminated against in favor of young, beautiful women. Even over the internet! I'm filing complaints.
(to clarify: the real complaint is that I want cookies too!)

And also: I really do hope the Desire's touch screen works as well as that of the iPhone..... It's the one thing the iPhone had over all other phones when it first came on the market; capacitive works a brazillian times better then resistive.....

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Do both SGS and Desire have multi touch?

Edit: And how is the talk quality?

Yes of course Oo

SGS has noise cancelling, I presume so does Desire, dunno about iPhone, but that stuff is pretty standard. Quality also depends on carrier.

Chirrad

Sep 29, 2009
And also: I really do hope the Desire's touch screen works as well as that of the iPhone..... It's the one thing the iPhone had over all other phones when it first came on the market; capacitive works a brazillian times better then resistive.....

Unfortunately they don't. They work well, but the iphone's touch screen is still the best out there (as of the time this was written anyway, which was pre-iphone 4). But as you say - they're still capacitative which makes them much better than the old style screens.

Joyma said:
SGS has noise cancelling, I presume so does Desire, dunno about iPhone, but that stuff is pretty standard.

Actually this isn't the case. While they've probably got a bit of noise reduction in software, both the desire and the SGS dropped the extra mic for noise cancelling which both the Nexus One and the iPhone 4 have. I presume to save on costs.

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
WiFi on my Nexus is dodgier than my gf's iPhone 3G. Specifically, I have to manually reconnect to WiFi most of the time when I get home, whereas her Wifi "just works". YMMV.

About the UI, having used both phones a lot, I think the WoW UI is a perfect (and very cheesy :D ) analogy:

WoW's standard UI is like the iPhone UI: an amazing, thoughtful and very customizable interface that's smooth and buttery and designed down to the last inch while glossing over a few hardcore gameplay mechanics the average player won't ever care for.

Android is the interface for the hardcore raider with tons of add-ons, you spent hours setting it all up and it'll always be a bit rough around the edges, but it can provide you with exactly the experience, info, setup and efficiency you need.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
An article from January is surely not relevant on screen quality anymore lol <_<

Also, this is a really good and popular review of SGS vs iPhone 4, base versions. He also goes over screens, in part 2 or so:

I didn't realize about the lack of noise cancelling mic, so that's a factor if you call from busy places often I suppose. I figured it was pretty standard, my bad.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
WiFi on my Nexus is dodgier than my gf's iPhone 3G. Specifically, I have to manually reconnect to WiFi most of the time when I get home, whereas her Wifi "just works". YMMV.

WiFi on my SGS works perfectly, I strongly doubt that's anything to do with Android vs iOS, and surely not anymore if so.

About the UI, having used both phones a lot, I think the WoW UI is a perfect (and very cheesy :D ) analogy:

WoW's standard UI is like the iPhone UI: an amazing, thoughtful and very customizable interface that's smooth and buttery and designed down to the last inch while glossing over a few hardcore gameplay mechanics the average player won't ever care for.

Android is the interface for the hardcore raider with tons of add-ons, you spent hours setting it all up and it'll always be a bit rough around the edges, but it can provide you with exactly the experience, info, setup and efficiency you need.

I partly agree with this. iPhone's default UI is beautiful and is great for people who haven't seen better, however, how is it very customizable when they lack any sort of widgets, not to mention advanced widgets Oo Very much disagree with that part. But, again, default is beautiful, much more so than WoW default :p

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
I partly agree with this. iPhone's default UI is beautiful and is great for people who haven't seen better, however, how is it very customizable when they lack any sort of widgets, not to mention advanced widgets
1 word.....
Jailbreak

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
1 word.....
Jailbreak

Another word.... no, picture:

jailbaitStuff.jpg

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
just got a phonecall..... My HTC Desire is ready to be delivered..... they can't make it until Wednesday though, when I'm in Amsterdam. On Thursday I drive to UK....... so I'll get it next week :'(
I WANT IT NOW!
So I can finally tell you all whether it really is better then an iPhone :p

Tyche

The Punisher
Dec 30, 2008
The Netherlands
Ye I got mine from Vodafone....

I ordered mine on wednesday afternoon, wednesday around dinnertime they called me confirming my order, saying they'd come by on friday. The next day I got a mail confirming the phonecall and telling me more specifically when they'd come by on friday, and on friday the delivery-man called me making sure I was home to receive the order. Was like awesome!