Android, the real mobile platform

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Has Skype really not made an app for Android yet? Oo

Skype is notoriously slow with software development. They blocked Fring from using their "open" network to do video calls, so still waiting for Sykpe itself again for that feature....

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I haz iPhone 4g, Im cooler then you guys. Apppleeeeeeee <3 <3 <3

The name of the device you own is iPhone 4, contrary to what 80% of its owners believe, it doesn't actually support 4G, congrats Apple.

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
Hmm, Skype is out for Verizon phone, but not other android phones? Come on Skype, thats just weak!

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
I can't really decide between SGS and Desire. I have to try out the SGS in hand first at the store to see how the plastic feels compared to Desire.

But its so damn hard to find black ones in Denmark, all brown :/

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I can't really decide between SGS and Desire. I have to try out the SGS in hand first at the store to see how the plastic feels compared to Desire.

But its so damn hard to find black ones in Denmark, all brown :/

Ah wait, well I have an awesome case for my SGS, if you are planning to go without case, the SGS drops in my recommendation, cause the default back is UGLEH.

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
Do you have problems with the wifi connection? Some people have had that problem I've read

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Do you have problems with the wifi connection? Some people have had that problem I've read

Well a bit early to comment extensively, but I'm running Froyo WiFi right now, and no problems.

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
Its definitely a match between SGS and Desire for me. Unless HTC spits out a 4G phone within reasonable time.

But still so hard to choose between the two. How's the UI?

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Its definitely a match between SGS and Desire for me. Unless HTC spits out a 4G phone within reasonable time.

But still so hard to choose between the two. How's the UI?

Really, stuff like UI is totally irrelevant, it's both Android, both completely customizable with all sorts of apps/widgets.

You need to look purely at hardware (SGS wins, but slightly), looks (Desire, if no case), and I guess pricing if that matters. Oh, and generally new Android releases will be available for the Desire before the SGS, since the optimizing Google does for Nexus also works on Desire, but Samsung needs to do it themselves....

You have 4G over there, nationwide, or wuts? Cuz that'd be a reason to wait, can take months tho.

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
There's working on the 4G net right now.

Hmm, new releases fast is a nice thing, but also depends on how fast Android is updates, so it might not be that relevant

OP
Jaghira

Jaghira

Jul 8, 2009
htc desire is desirable if you so desire...gomb.

cant say i have had a play on the samsung...but i saw a review contrary to what joy says in terms of performance ..will see if i can dig it up later when i am at home.
the review was the samsung vs htc desire vs iphone 4

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
This sums up the Android vs iOS argument so perfectly.

You mean the, iOS has a static UI, Android has a totally customizable flexible UI filled with shiney widgets argument? <_<

Vessy

Puttin the slow in Onslow
Apr 13, 2009
Yo boys I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish but NOKIA HAD THE GREATEST UI OF ALL TIME!

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Yo boys I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish but NOKIA HAD THE GREATEST UI OF ALL TIME!
Wut? You mean the one with the 12 buttons? 10 with numbers and 1 with a #, one with a * right? Oh and the nice screen which showed at least 10 of the things you last pressed on those buttons.
I think Nokia plagiarised that one though.

Also; Since when does the iPhone have a static UI? It still is fully customisable you know.