Ayu's new computer

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
Another question: Is it worth going PC10000 ram for a 2,66 GHZ compared to 8500?

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Gombur said:
Another question: Is it worth going PC10000 ram for a 2,66 GHZ compared to 8500?

The difference between 1000 MHz and 1333 MHz for me was like less than 10 euros, so if it's cheap I'd defo get it. The CPU will definitely NOT bottlecap your system even if 2.66 GHz sounds low. That CPU is actually better than AMDs 3.4 GHz.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Gombur said:
Any got any experience with Corsair PSU's? Am considering getting this one: http://www.proshop.dk/showproduct.aspx?prodid=165416

Also Ayu, how is the HD5750?

For both questions, if you want more in-depth answers than any of us could give, just google the names and add "review". And personally, the gfx card is pretty great. It's the cheapest DirectX 11 capable card there is atm but it also depends on what you play. WoW at max settings at 1600x1200 for example doesn't get past ~70-80% GPU usage whereas it runs at 99% for Assassin's Creed with every possible detail on (also 1600x1200) and FPS is good. But like I said, if you really want more info about that, especially for games that are extremely heavy on GPU, google it and check out Crysis benchmarks. I still think the HD 5750 cards are good in terms of performance/price value.

Also, Corsair is generally a reliable and quality brand AFAIK though I never owned Corsair items myself.

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
My main games that I can think of right now would be Diablo 3 and Dragon Age as the standard, what ever games might run else is just a bonus.

Thanks for all the help :)

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
That should definitely work. Also, you can plug in a second Gfx in 1 or 2 years if you like and combine their power if the need arises with that MSI mainboard.

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Ayu said:
That should definitely work. Also, you can plug in a second Gfx in 1 or 2 years if you like and combine their power if the need arises with that MSI mainboard.
No, you can't.

Crossfire and SLI aren't very useful. By the time you need that extra power you'll be able to buy 1 card that has more performance then 2 of the HD5750 cards combined for less then the price you're currently paying for one HD5750. And that's not even counting the money you'll be spending on your electricity bill.......
The only way in which Crossfire or SLI are interesting is if one of the current top of the line cards doesn't give you enough performance.

Jazende

Sacred vines, entangle the corrupted!
Staff member
May 12, 2008
I'm looking to buy and assemble a new computer, but I've not done this before so I'm looking for some input (especially so I don't forget things :D), I'm kindoff out of date with new developments on hardware when it comes to specifics so I figured ontop of reading some reviews, might aswell ask the people who already did.

What I'm looking for is an PC which can run the latest game on decent settings (doesn't have to be highest, but as I said, I don't know where I'll get with my money) aswell as multitask a bit with it. I'm often running several programs at once (Anything from the adobe collection is frequently used, but some other apply) . I have an 24" monitor already so I don't need to spend alot of money on that, altho availability for dual monitor is a plus, as I've done it before and now have withdrawl symptoms :)

Moneywise I'm aiming for about 900-1000 euro , I've got a bit of room to go higher, but not unlimited ofcourse :)

Chirrad

Sep 29, 2009
Would definitely suggest an SSD (I normally do in these threads!). 120GB SSDs are available for ~£200 these days - don't really know where you buy stuff from over there so haven't gone looking for euro prices. 4GB RAM is minimum these days too, but 6GB is common with DDR3 motherboards. You may already have a hard drive to use (SSD won't be big enough for everything, but you can stick all data/videos/big stuff on a hard drive and leave the SSD for games + OS).

Beyond that, you need to juggle the CPU/Graphics card split, and how much to spend on a case. The last one I bought I spent a decent amount on to get decent cooling and reduced noise.

If you're going for upgradable, get a motherboard which is crossfire/SLI capable, though I think it's normally easier to sell your system and buy another one later on rather than adding a second graphics card.

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
SSD: Only worth it if you got money to burn. Most games don't rely on loading during play. WoW certainly doesn't. And if you're only doing it for those 10 seconds faster loading then you're throwing away dough better spent on something else.
6GB: only common on triple-channel motherboards which means only the Core i7 9## series, I would recommend against it.

My advice:
A decent Asrock or MSI P55 motherboard: about € 100.
Core i7 860 or 870: about € 250 (or go for an 875k for about € 300)
AMD Radeon HD5850 based graphics card: about € 230
4GB of RAM: about € 75

Remember to get:
- Optical drive (BluRay drives are available, DVD-writer most likely just as good)
- Case (take your pick, really)
- Power supply (take a decent brand! about 500-600Watts should do. Don't take too high a wattage as the average PSU performs best at 50-80% load)
- Storage (if you really have money to burn get an SSD, otherwise just get a decent harddisk. Size of your choice but 1TB is best value for money at the moment with 1.5TB a very close second)
- You might want to spend some extra money on a good CPU cooler. Scythe has some very nice ones that make a lot less noise then the normal ones.

That's all really.... all the rest is just nice to have (like a decent headset, Logitech G9 mouse, and save some money so you can move to the Netherlands and get a decent internet connection!)

also: realise that you can set up a proper game system for about 2/3rds of that money at the moment..... A decent i5 processor and HD5830 will get you pretty much similar performance for a couple hundred euro less.

Jazende

Staff member
May 12, 2008
I'm tempted for an SSD, I've been playing alot of ME (and planning on ME3 ofcourse) which has quite alot of load times.

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
Although it cost far too much, and is horribly small, I do <3 my SSD, everything loads noticeably faster and there's the added bonus of it being extremely hard to damage compared to a HD.

Jazende

Staff member
May 12, 2008
also: realise that you can set up a proper game system for about 2/3rds of that money at the moment..... A decent i5 processor and HD5830 will get you pretty much similar performance for a couple hundred euro less.

Also, what would you suggest for a game system?