WLAN

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
howdy,

I am pondering how to set up my home network once I found a flat here, and was considering WLAN. Specifically, getting a WLAN modem which plugs into the wall, a WLAN mobo (Asus P5K deluxe), and my laptop with Centrino stuffs.

My main concern is that inevitably, all those people prone to DC during our raids answer "yes" if asked if they have WLAN :p
So my question is, with a properly configured WLAN home network, and around 10 meters and one wall inbetween modem and PC, can I get identical pings as with a ground line (not fussed about 10ms or something, but +100ms would be an issue) and most importantly, a rock-solid connection as I am used to?

would appreciate some input from WoW players on this :)

D

Dokk

Actually. my connection improved once I threw away my cable ADSL modem, and got myself a router.... Stabler connection, less latency, and its way easier to reboot/restart connection- Getting rid of all the cables is a plus ofc, and managing to get ideal signal for about 10 metres orso is a plus (laptops etc....) They never have the range they state in the box tho, so keep your "wow PC" closer to the router if you do so; walls, doors and stuff, as well as a ton of other electric devices screw with the signal if you get too far.

Hyl

Oct 25, 2005
My experience with WLAN and gaming is bad.

Latency and ping can be great. But I have not been able to get around the problem with lag.
The game freezes up for 1-2 secs every now and then, which is annoying to say the least.

This is down to hardware, obstacles between the access point and your computer etc.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
I use wireless, and it is 100% fine. Most people who have problems with their connection are having problems between their router and Blizzard (either their ISP, or the Telia connection from the UK to France).

One issue to keep an eye out for though is electrical interference, specifically, poorly shielded microwaves, which can mess with your connection.

Another thing to be sure of is that your router is secure. Nothing will kill your ping than leachers stealing your bandwith to download the latests series of Lost/Heroes/Scrubs.... :rolleyes:

PS: Hyl, Latency, Ping and Lag are different names for the same thing, the time taken for packet to make a "round trip", from your PC to the server, and back again.

OP
Bani

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
hmm cool, general opinion seems positive, guess I'll try it :)

Only real difference is that I'll need to get the slightly more expensive WiFi motherboard, and that one has some other advantages too. Think I'll get a WiFi DSL router for free from the DSL company.

Thanks guys :)

Hyl

Oct 25, 2005
Yeah. Sorry about that. I should read over what I type.
What I meant to say is that the ping can be fine generally speaking, but I cant seem to be able to eliminate the occasional lag spikes.

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
A friend of mine used a good amount of weeks to tweak his wlan into perfection. Only to scrap it short thereafter because he realized that the total amount of wire, consisting of extended antennas, was about the same as a straight line from the modem.

He had solid concrete walls to battle with though.