Windows 10 - You guys updating?

Mista

The Rogue
Aug 28, 2005
Got the offer to update for free to 10 as soon as it's out. Just wanted to ask if anyone knows if I should update at once or if I should wait? How's the preformance vs. windows 8? Support for games and drivers etc.

Solare

Unrelated to the giant gas star, probably
Oct 17, 2014
Personally im gonna upgrade so i can get a legal version, shhh dont tell microsoft :D

I dont know about current performence for W10, but no matter what it is the future in one way or another. So might as well, but always expect child diesases in all new realeases so if you need a 100% stable platform for work etc, i wouldnt upgrade just yet.

OP
Mista

Mista

The Rogue
Aug 28, 2005
Yeah, I was reasoning pretty much the same way, might as well. Just wanted to know if anyone heard of any absolute no-no issues that make it worth waiting. :)

Solare

Unrelated to the giant gas star, probably
Oct 17, 2014
I also forgot to mention that drivers to various hardware could be unsupported or even deleayed if not ready when Win10 is released. So you could potentionally have driver issues with especially older hardware. But im sure they will get up to speed when they know the new API they need to develop towards :)

Atermors

Dec 2, 2010
The only negative thing I know of is the change back to the old start menu, although it is not as horrible as the Windows 7 start menu.

Anyway, get the upgrade, DX12 alone will be worth it :)

OP
Mista

Mista

The Rogue
Aug 28, 2005
I got windows 8.1 with the oldschool startmenu just cause I hated 8.0, so I guess I'll be fine :p

Ixidron

Happy trees
Jun 18, 2014
Still using Windows 7 so yeah, gone for it. Chances are they're going to do this so they can stop supporting W7 asap to avoid another situation like XP.

Jazende

Sacred vines, entangle the corrupted!
Staff member
May 12, 2008
There's no real downsides for upgrading, but I'd wait atleast a month, to see if any big issues arise.
You have a year (iirc) to upgrade for free.
As the Elcor would say:
Sagely: Use it wisely.

Stella

Nosnogard's Overlord
May 9, 2015
I've been working with windows 8 and later with 8.1 and honestly I am pretty satisfied with my system as it is so I see no reason not to upgrade as soon as it comes out! Kinda looking forward to it to be honest. Never really liked their start menu so a more classic fusion would be great

Arius

May or may not poison food
Nov 21, 2013
I need to update the firmware of my SSD, so I'm just waiting with that till Windows 10 releases so I can do that (as it will wipe all my data on it) and then I'll explore the new OS :)

Horsa

Back in my day, we swam to Tanaan and we liked it
Feb 21, 2014
I need to update the firmware of my SSD, so I'm just waiting with that till Windows 10 releases so I can do that (as it will wipe all my data on it) and then I'll explore the new OS :)

IM GOING IN!.......im really hoping it dont wipe my ssd.....what IS an ssd anyway?

Horsa

Feb 21, 2014
well...im in...windows 10 has landed on my pc......i seem to have entered an alternate reality (where microsoft things work smoothly and, ayu is nice and, i react to standing in shit within a few seconds within a few minutes before lash tells me im standing in shit).

Stronghammer

The strong one!
Apr 20, 2009
The Netherlands
Not gonna get it yet.

Just before launch, MS made the choice that the cracked versions of Win 7/8/8.1 will NOT get it for free after all. Altho I did read many pirated versions still upgraded to a full free Win10 version. (http://www.computerworld.com/articl...ay-pirates-even-after-windows-10-upgrade.html)

Privacy is currently a huge issue, and them changing the EULA to scan for pirated software (games) and block them from use is one of them. Tho it is yet uncertain if those scans will be general of specific. (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/windows-10-can-find-and-disable-pirated-games/1100-6429805/)

Jazende

Sacred vines, entangle the corrupted!
Staff member
May 12, 2008
As well as the continueing callbacks....

Horsa

Feb 21, 2014
windows 10 means i can no longer play pga tour tiger woods 2008.....this is an outrage! i didnt win the grand slam yet:mad: