Ulduar 3.1 and Beyond.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Stupid ass vehicles, at least it's not on the final encounter now, hopefully.

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
if vehicles scale with gear quality, that might mean ilvls, so we should give crappy lvl 213 or 226 items to people who need one in that slot if they get dissed otherwise :p

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
Why does everyone hate vehicles :( i love controlling something new, also shows who the actual good players are. And i imagine they will inherit a % of your health or something

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
It's always going to be clumsy, since WoW is not a racing game nor an FPS. I also love my current class and want to play it :p

OP
D

Deadj

Quote from: Daelo:
The first boss has you enter 1 of 3 different vehicles (Chopper, Demolisher, and Siege Engine) to fight your way through an immense Iron army to the Flame Leviathan and defeat him. After that, there's very little use of vehicles by players. We'll have the fight up on the PTR at a later date, but this fight isn't in the first wave of boss encounters to be tested.

Lets hope the bold part is true:p

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Vehicle interface is clunky as hell, and none of the UI customisation you have set up works properly with it, especially for healing. Seriously, how fucking rubbish is just doing hot-hot-hot-hot-hot-AOEHEAL on Malygos? The fact that grid doesn't work on vehicles, that you can't target players on vehicles. How is that fun? I don't get why people say vehicle combat shows who the good players are, its bullshit. Being good at vehicle combat means your good at vehicle combat. Nothing else. Being good at playing your class is not the same thing. It's like the fucking crane mini game in manhunt, it's total change in the gameplay, you can rock at the stealth and combat sections, then get totally stuck at the crane, because it's a totally different mechanic. Anyone who knows anything about usability design knows this is bad. I fucking hate vehicle combat, it's stupid and shit, and boring. It is clunky and gimmicky. It's mini-games, and anyone who followed the development of the games industry knows mini-games are casual gaming bullshit. The rise of mini-games got cruicifed by the gaming press in the 80s forchristsake, why they are experiancing a resergance in popularity as a game design device is beyond me. It's lazy, and boring. It's not good design (one exception: WarioWare on the DS). Minigames lack the depth of fully fledged gaming, in wow that's player-class and mob mechanics, including the role of gear/enchant/gem selection. Minigames are shit. Vehicle combat is shit. Anyone who disagrees is wrong. :mat: :mat: :mat: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch:

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
after the 234534525th wg battle and the 2345345456th oculus and malygos it is hard to stay enthusiastic about controlling vehicles/dragons/giants and whatelse.

Hom

Aug 30, 2005
Its shit lazy design, pure and simple. Why give people 80 levels of experience with 40 or 50 abilities then throw them all out of the window.

All it says to me is "we can balance this shit much easier if we know exactly what people are going to be using"

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
I'm going to defend my poor innocent heavily armored vehicles :(

To B's point, how fun is it for me to press 1 1 1 1 1 1 4 1 1 1 1 1 4 and 3 when one of my addons lights up all day, been doing it for 3 years now, so pressing 1 1 2 1 1 2 1 1 2 and 5 when a different addon tells me too isn't a whole bunch of difference from my perspective.

You can't blame grid for vehicles being shit, I've seen loads of people do that, i use the standard wow interface for them and i have no problems at all targeting stuff, grid being crap isn't blizzards fault.

With regards to being good at the mini-game thing, it is a similar thing the to gorefiend mini-game, some people simply were an awful lot better at it than others, i don't know how much being good at it made you a better player, personally i was terrible at it, but like it has been said in the mage forums, being good at the game isn't just your ability to get your numbers higher than other peoples numbers.

As far as depth of gem/enchanting go, I just pick whatever enchant and gems give me the most SP while keeping my hit at max. The perception of choice is an illusion as far as that is concerned. Sure i have the choice to put 40 stamina on my bracers, but i'm not going to because it will be rubbish for a mage. The choice is there if you are sufficiently uninterested in making your character the best it can be, but as soon as you are the number of 'choices' you have with regards to items quickly falls apart.

I guess i'm going to be on the losing side here, it's similar to those racing quests for the netherwing rep back at 70, personally i thought they were really well done and it was nice to have something other than my ability to mash 1 and avoid fire tested. I don't remember many people agreeing with me though.

I'm in no position to judge against Hom's point as i simply don't know how hard it is to balance a game of this size, although i will say that it's 1 boss out of 14, so they put in the effort with the rest of them (hopefully).

I guess I love the vehicles cos it offers something totally different, because tbh if ulduar turns out to be another 'don't stand in fire' instance like BT was, then the game will no longer offer me any enjoyment whatsoever.

Careface

Death by sexy
May 31, 2007
The netherwing racing quests were amazing but then again you didnt have to do them every week til the next expansion came out.

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
Careface said:
The netherwing racing quests were amazing but then again you didnt have to do them every week til the next expansion came out.

I'd have done them every day if i could :p

Careface

Death by sexy
May 31, 2007
Cronocious said:
Careface said:

I'd have done them every day if i could :p

Not doubting your enthusiasm but thats bullshit

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Cronocious said:
To B's point, how fun is it for me to press 1 1 1 1 1 1 4 1 1 1 1 1 4 and 3 when one of my addons lights up all day, been doing it for 3 years now, so pressing 1 1 2 1 1 2 1 1 2 and 5 when a different addon tells me too isn't a whole bunch of difference from my perspective.
Roll a real class then :p

Even on my warlock there was a reason why I rolled Affliction. Destruction back in the old days was SB spammage until dead, at least Affliction required some thought..... And believe me: Even in BT I was outdamaging most Destruction locks on my Affliction build. As a healer nowadays there's a lot more information to digest and respond to. Running Naxx8 a couple weeks back was absolute enjoyment as all of a sudden I had to look all over the place again (as opposed to Sarth+3 where I have to listen to Joys shout "Now please" and in the mean time cast penance every 4 seconds or so).
You can't blame grid for vehicles being shit, I've seen loads of people do that, i use the standard wow interface for them and i have no problems at all targeting stuff, grid being crap isn't blizzards fault.
Cool. You can have all the raid members' dragons on the screen with the default interface? Oh, wait, no you can't. There is currently no way at all to see the health of all dragons and be able to target heals on them.

I loved the vehicle quests while leveling. I thought it was awesome that Blizz finally thought of something else then "kill # of this", "gather # of that". But to have to do it every week gets pretty boring pretty quickly. It's not what I signed up for.....

Deadj said:
Quote from: Daelo:
The first boss has you enter 1 of 3 different vehicles (Chopper, Demolisher, and Siege Engine) to fight your way through an immense Iron army to the Flame Leviathan and defeat him. After that, there's very little use of vehicles by players. We'll have the fight up on the PTR at a later date, but this fight isn't in the first wave of boss encounters to be tested.
Lets hope the bold part is true:p
Let's hope the bold part is not true.... Especially the choice of words "very little" is scary....... Why does that not say "no".......?

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Cronocious said:
I guess I love the vehicles cos it offers something totally different, because tbh if ulduar turns out to be another 'don't stand in fire' instance like BT was, then the game will no longer offer me any enjoyment whatsoever.

Crono is quitting WoW again. You heard it here first. :D
No really, do Sarth 3 on 10 man first before you moan about the simple concept of not standing in ze fire. ;)

OP
D

Deadj

Croga said:
Let's hope the bold part is not true.... Especially the choice of words "very little" is scary....... Why does that not say "no".......?

That would have been better indeed. Very little might be Malygos style, so lets hope it turns out to be no ;)