Rift

Eztrelle

Jan 17, 2011
I was just wondering if anyone has tried the beta for the above. I have an invite was just wondering whether to bother downloading the client.

Love

Ez

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
Rift has taken alot of the more popular mechanics from other mmo's, which makes it look more promising than the other new mmo's on the market. I think its probably worth a shot just to get a taste of the good stuff from other mmo's that hasn't made it into wow, like public quests with contribution points.

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
As Lebuff says; Rift is basically WoW on steroids.

- The graphics aren't as shiny as, for example, Aion or AoC, they are more in the WoW ballpark; pretty nice but nothing special.
- The idea of public quests is nice but not very special.
- The "Souls" system is basically WoW's talent specs on steroids. It does make for some interesting choices and most likely makes sure there will not be many "cookie cutter" specs around.
- User interface is very good by default with lots of customisation options but it isn't extendable by addons.
- My pet peave: You cannot bind actions to the scroll wheel and some people have reported problems with 4th (and above) mouse buttons as well. For me this makes the game unplayable.

All in all: If you enjoy WoW you'll most likely enjoy Rifts. There is, however, no reason to drop WoW for Rifts. There is nothing that sets Rifts apart from any other MMO. If talent specs are the only unique thing in the game then I think the game has failed.

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
I've played it for a bit now and can say that I'm quite enjoying it. Although I have my concerns that it will probably fail due to lack of end-game content like many other MMO's it's still fun whilst leveling for now.

What I like the most is that you can choose own soultrees (think of it as a someone with a enhancement, retribution and resto spec) and also the world events (invasions and rift openings) are really enjoyable and provide quality rewards. So basically you have the choice to either level by doing quests or go rift hunting.

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
A bit extreme no?

I am. :p

but really..... I've been playing Rift for 2 days now....
- Quests are boring. There's 3 possible flavors: Kill X of these, Get Y of this item, Click on Z of that object.
- Talent specs are this game's unique feature until you discover that they're really not. Example: The Warrior class has a couple of possible "defensive" souls. 1 that wards against melee, 1 against magic and 1 that is good for groups. So if you wanna be a tank you really don't have a choice; if you don't take these 3 souls you'll be nerfed and unable to function as a tank. Same thing with Clerics: 1 singletarget direct heal, 1 HoT, 1 AOE. Drop one of those and you'll be useless half the time. DPS have it even worse; take 3 DPS cleric souls and you'll have 3 spells with 2 second cast time and a damage of 12-16.

If they want people to consider playing something new, they have to make something new. Rift, I'm afraid, is just old grain in new sacks. It looks different but really it isn't.

I've enjoyed my 2 days in this game. I'm glad I participated in the beta. I'll not be buying this game though. It's like playing WoW with different graphics and without the 10 characters that can support my new character whilst leveling :)

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
Beta time got extended by 24 hours so is available till Saturday 18:00 GMT