Norwegian culture ftw!

Razors

Apr 1, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ

My personal favourite:
Knots

The russ knot list was first introduced in the 1940s. The Russ knots, comparable to badges, is a common name for a wide variety of trophies symbolizing fulfilling a certain accomplishment during the festivities. There are a plethora of local knot rules for earning knots, as well as local variations for the same type of knot. The knot itself often consist of an item representing the accomplishment. For instance passing through the back seat of a car stopping on a red light, earns you a piece of menthos paper. These knots are then knitted and strung along the line extending from the russe hat, hence the name knot. The knot rules are sometimes criticized because it can involve illegal acts, such as public nudity, outright assault and possibly self-harming actions, such as consuming large amounts of alcohol in a short amount of time (earns a beer cap). Other, more benign tasks exist, such as putting a for sale sign on a police car, kissing a person of the same sex (pink feather), or spending the night at a teacher's house and making him/her breakfast in the morning, all without being noticed. In total, there are about 101 different tasks that can be performed to receive knots. (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local .... 015772.ece)

Here are a couple of russ knot examples.

* Having sex outdoors
* Going swimming in an industrial river
* Eating your own russ card
* Having sex in school
* Dating a junior
* Showering a junior with yogurt
* Going through an entire school day with a sock puppet on the hand. All communication must happen through the sock puppet.

Gilbert

Oct 26, 2005
at my school we have stuff like:

-Sleeping in a roundabout
-Eating breakfast (between 6-8) in a roundabout
-Running nude from the bank to a cafeteria 200 meters away (if you do this you're an Elite Russ)
-running 6x 400 meters and drinking a beer after each 400m (also Elite Russ)
-Sitting below your desk with your finger in your ear an entire school lesson
-Dating a first grader
-Drive backwards at a certain route through town
-Driving in 30 km/h during the rush traffic at the E6
-Sitting moose-guard at the bench in between the two school houses(from 4 to 7)
-Running into a class room stealing a desk there during class

theres 150 different ones, just some i remembered <_<

Galatea

Oct 28, 2005
wow, kids today :S

When I was at school, I think I was probably the most "out there" person at my school, simply because I had apple green hair, that was all it took then!

(funny thing was, anyone else got sent home for funny coloured hair, I always wondered why I got away with it)

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Lethalbone said:
blates coz u flirted with the headteacher
Somewhere up there you messed up the word order :angel:

Tbone

Apr 4, 2008
Liverpool
well, not really because if it was spelt correctly, it would be

"it's blatantly because you flirted with the headteacher"

its just that im a lazy shit and i make sense to myself so i expect others to make sense of it all too :(

Gilbert

Oct 26, 2005
Galatea said:
wow, kids today :S

When I was at school, I think I was probably the most "out there" person at my school, simply because I had apple green hair, that was all it took then!

(funny thing was, anyone else got sent home for funny coloured hair, I always wondered why I got away with it)

"Today" :eek:

it started back in 1700 :p The current tradition started back in 1905 tho! knew it was old so had to check ^^

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I think he was more hinting at the fact that you can construe the sentence with the verb "head" and object "teacher". <_<

Galatea

Oct 28, 2005
Braque said:
It's called Freshers Week in the UK, hon, you poor sheltered thing. ;P

ohhh! didn't realise it was specific to freshers week, that is a whole other story :)

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
It usually starts when easter ends, and ends on our national day, 17th of may. "Russ" are seniors getting ready to finish school.
There's 3 "real" colors of "Russ", and several fake ones. Red is those that have taken a general education, preparing for further education. Blue is almost the same, only with more focus on economics and business courses, and lastly, Black is those that took the..err.. the ones that have become mechanics, carpenters, taxidermists, and what not. They usually just have 2 years of school tho, so they're usually a year younger than the Red&Blue, and the Red and Blue mock the "grunts" in black, cause well, they deserve it :p There's also Green, for agriculture students, which u hardly see, Pink for kindergarten kids that are pretending to be "Russ", etc etc.
As a "Russ", you wear a suit that's all red/blue/black, and you iron on letters and symbols etc, to make it your own. Like your name and school and whatnot. In addition to the suit, you have a hat, that looks retarted, and has a string with a ..dunno english word, doesn't matter. When you do stupid stuff, like fuck the "russ" president, you get a knot in the string in the hat, so everyone can see what you did.

Another aspect that I find completely retarded, is the "Russ" busses. It's common for Russ to collaborate on a buss or car, that they paint all red/black/blue usually.
However, in the eastern Norway, where all the rich kids live, it's far from uncommon to instead of buying a van, to buy a real large buss, paint it with proper car paint and graphics, decorate the interior and have huge sound systems, that require a seperate generator on a ..uh..u know, floor with wheels you pull after your car :p Anyways, yeah, so there are some busses that cost the kids upwards to half a million norwegian kroner, so about 650 000 Euros. On a buss they use for ~ one month. At 19 years of age. :<

Wilandra

Sep 28, 2005
Uh oh, Norway's national day coming again.... Why is it that only norwegians completely flip out on their national day in-game, had to disable all public channels and /say during the last two years to have any chance of reading something else than the non-stop spam in chat :|

Arly

Non-Shouter
Oct 3, 2007
Anshrr said:
It usually starts when easter ends, and ends on our national day, 17th of may. "Russ" are seniors getting ready to finish school.
There's 3 "real" colors of "Russ", and several fake ones. Red is those that have taken a general education, preparing for further education. Blue is almost the same, only with more focus on economics and business courses, and lastly, Black is those that took the..err.. the ones that have become mechanics, carpenters, taxidermists, and what not. They usually just have 2 years of school tho, so they're usually a year younger than the Red&Blue, and the Red and Blue mock the "grunts" in black, cause well, they deserve it :p There's also Green, for agriculture students, which u hardly see, Pink for kindergarten kids that are pretending to be "Russ", etc etc.
As a "Russ", you wear a suit that's all red/blue/black, and you iron on letters and symbols etc, to make it your own. Like your name and school and whatnot. In addition to the suit, you have a hat, that looks retarted, and has a string with a ..dunno english word, doesn't matter. When you do stupid stuff, like fuck the "russ" president, you get a knot in the string in the hat, so everyone can see what you did.

Another aspect that I find completely retarded, is the "Russ" busses. It's common for Russ to collaborate on a buss or car, that they paint all red/black/blue usually.
However, in the eastern Norway, where all the rich kids live, it's far from uncommon to instead of buying a van, to buy a real large buss, paint it with proper car paint and graphics, decorate the interior and have huge sound systems, that require a seperate generator on a ..uh..u know, floor with wheels you pull after your car :p Anyways, yeah, so there are some busses that cost the kids upwards to half a million
norwegian kroner, so about 650 000 Euros. On a buss they use for ~ one month. At 19 years of age. :<

62500 Euro Anshrr. Not 650 k Euros :p