New GPU - maybe?

Whitepaw

Raider
Aug 13, 2012
As avid MM readers will know, I just upgraded to an ASUS 27 inch 144 hz display. Obviously, this necessitates a GPU upgrade, because my 960 Nvidia can’t go above 60 hz.

So which card? Right now, I’m looking at 2070 Super, but they are expensive! They are also priced with large differences - we’re talking up to 200 euro differences!

Will there soon be new Nvidia GPUs on the market, which will make the price on 2070 Super drop? And which manufacturer should I prefer?

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
AMD 5700XT if you want to buy now (read some reviews though, not all are made the same).

Otherwise wait til the end of the year for the new Nvidia and AMD cards. You should be able to get more FPS/DANISH KRONEN with those or the current series after the price cuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whitepaw

Ertai

Jul 22, 2018
Otherwise wait til the end of the year for the new Nvidia and AMD cards. You should be able to get more FPS/DANISH KRONEN with those or the current series after the price cuts.

I would do this. I'm personally waiting on the new ones as well. Rumor has it they could launch in september so shouldn't be that long if it's true.

S

Spravv

AMD 5700XT if you want to buy now (read some reviews though, not all are made the same).

I 2nd that. 5700XT are usually a good value for the price if you can't/don't want to wait.
I personally wait for future releases rumored for October 2020, alongside the Ryzen 4000.

OP
Whitepaw

Whitepaw

Raider
Aug 13, 2012
Now looking at the Nvidia 20XX SUPER series. They range from 3000 - 5000 DKK.

I’m keeping my AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz CPU and MSI B450 GAMING PLUS motherboard.

I’m guessing a GTX 2060 SUPER will be sufficient and a more expensive card will be overkill?

Jazende

Sacred vines, entangle the corrupted!
Staff member
May 12, 2008
The 30XX series just got announced, and even accounting for marketing markup, it's looking like a decent upgrade. Wait 2 weeks more for the benchmarks, the 3070 looks pretty amazing for its price currently (but again, wait for benchmarks)

OP
Whitepaw

Whitepaw

Raider
Aug 13, 2012
The 30XX series just got announced, and even accounting for marketing markup, it's looking like a decent upgrade. Wait 2 weeks more for the benchmarks, the 3070 looks pretty amazing for its price currently (but again, wait for benchmarks)
I’m sure the 30XX will be great - but it’ll also be very expensive and probably bottleneck my current CPU.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
The 3070 is around 500 Euros and outperforms the 1200 Euro 2080 TI.

Would still wait for actual reviews though since this is just information from NVidia themselves.

Jazende

Staff member
May 12, 2008
A thing to mention is that, besides that everything mentioned is only NVidia information, their comparisons are also only with RTX on. Performance in applications without, or with rtx disabled, is unknown.

Antishadow

So, basically Light?
Dec 18, 2015
Of what I saw Whitepaw, the 3080 is set to 4500 DKK wich is really cheap compared to 20xx series and the power gain from it. I think the release is set to 17th of september.

OP
Whitepaw

Whitepaw

Raider
Aug 13, 2012
Thx guys!

I knew I would get answers from top men in this forum!!!

And yeah Anti, I heard that date as well :)

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
Going to get a 3080 day one to replace my 2080. It sounds amazing.

Also, devs later confirmed that the numbers are also true without rtx, the 3080 can do maxed doom external at 4k 144 fps, which is ridiculous. Maybe I can even enable rtx shadows now, the 2080 wasnt fast enough for that :(

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
If you have some time and want to stay low budget, I think a used 2070 might become a really good deal since everyone will upgrade.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Going to get a 3080 day one to replace my 2080. It sounds amazing.

Also, devs later confirmed that the numbers are also true without rtx, the 3080 can do maxed doom external at 4k 144 fps, which is ridiculous. Maybe I can even enable rtx shadows now, the 2080 wasnt fast enough for that :(

To be fair, the Doom engine is kind of amazing.

Personally, I am going to hold out a little. First to let prices actually reach MSRP and second to see if there will be another 3080 Ti/Super snuck in later once AMD makes it move. 10 GB is kind of a downgrade from my 11 GB 1080 Ti.

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
There's some interesting info in their Q&A article: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-30-series-community-qa/

Q: Why only 10 GB of memory for RTX 3080? How was that determined to be a sufficient number, when it is stagnant from the previous generation?

Link

We’re constantly analyzing memory requirements of the latest games and regularly review with game developers to understand their memory needs for current and upcoming games. The goal of 3080 is to give you great performance at up to 4k resolution with all the settings maxed out at the best possible price. In order to do this, you need a very powerful GPU with high speed memory and enough memory to meet the needs of the games. A few examples - if you look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Gears of War 5, Borderlands 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 running on a 3080 at 4k with Max settings (including any applicable high res texture packs) and RTX On, when the game supports it, you get in the range of 60-100fps and use anywhere from 4GB to 6GB of memory. Extra memory is always nice to have but it would increase the price of the graphics card, so we need to find the right balance.

Q: When the slide says RTX 3070 is equal or faster than 2080 Ti, are we talking about traditional rasterization or DLSS/RT workloads? Very important if you could clear it up, since no traditional rasterization benchmarks were shown, only RT/DLSS supporting games.

Link

We are talking about both. Games that only support traditional rasterization and games that support RTX (RT+DLSS).

Jazende

Staff member
May 12, 2008
Either way should wait for benchmarks, but very tempting for 1070 -> 3070 upgrade, or even better down the line as it's not quite needed yet

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
my thinking is, for the last 2 generations, preordering nvidia cards at MSRP on day 1 was always a good idea, as it was followed by weeks or months of low stocks and considerable markups.

I don't think there are any benchmark results that would substantially change things unless they massively screwed something up, in which case the 2 week return period should be useful.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I don't think there are any benchmark results that would substantially change things unless they massively screwed something up, in which case the 2 week return period should be useful.

Dunno about the FE versions, but the 2000 series had some terrible partner cards with terrible cooling or even 2080 Ti's randomly dying early on. Took a while to get that fixed.

OP
Whitepaw

Whitepaw

Raider
Aug 13, 2012
So looking at some of the ASUS 3070 Nvidia cards coming. I have a hard time finding out what's different between these three:
- https://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/ASUS-GeForce-RTX-3070-DUAL-8GB-GDDR6-RAM-Grafikkort/2876851
- https://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/ASUS-GeForce-RTX-3070-TUF-OC-8GB-GDDR6-RAM-Grafikkort/2876856
- https://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/ASUS-GeForce-RTX-3070-DUAL-OC-8GB-GDDR6-RAM-Grafikkort/2876853

I don't wanna buy a 3080 or 3090 - I would have to buy a whole new computer to use all that extra headroom from the GPU.

Thorill

Tanks with the efficiency of 5 Best Buddy
Apr 28, 2015
- https://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/ASUS-GeForce-RTX-3070-DUAL-8GB-GDDR6-RAM-Grafikkort/2876851
This is the standard version of the GPU
- https://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/ASUS-GeForce-RTX-3070-TUF-OC-8GB-GDDR6-RAM-Grafikkort/2876856
This is what usually goes as Windforce (3-fans instead of 2 and it is overclocked from ASUS)
- https://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/ASUS-GeForce-RTX-3070-DUAL-OC-8GB-GDDR6-RAM-Grafikkort/2876853
This is the same as the first card but this is also overclocked from ASUS.

The actual overclocking info seems to be absent from the vendor website so can't comment on that.