MOVIES

Arly

Non-Shouter
Oct 3, 2007
avatar1jpg-f70d0dd4a4f277bc_large.jpg

Watched it in a "regular" cinema, but thinking of going to see it in 3D also.

Vessy

Puttin the slow in Onslow
Apr 13, 2009
Gran Torino is pretty good, but there's one scene with the chinese kid that is just horrible....

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Arly said:
avatar1jpg-f70d0dd4a4f277bc_large.jpg

Watched it in a "regular" cinema, but thinking of going to see it in 3D also.

I watch with detached amusement as half the western world goes ape for a film that's basically a rehash of the white-guilt westerns from the 60s and 70s that manage to be so deeply racist whilst trying to "honour the natives".

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
I wouldn't really agree with that B, the rehash bit, rather than the racist bit. It's another film with that sorta plot but i wouldn't really call it a rehash, otherwise you'd be able to call one hell of a lot of films re-hash's of other films

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Cronocious said:
I wouldn't really agree with that B, the rehash bit, rather than the racist bit. It's another film with that sorta plot but i wouldn't really call it a rehash, otherwise you'd be able to call one hell of a lot of films re-hash's of other films

Could say that there's really only one basic story - The Hero's Journey (aka Campbell's Monomyth).

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
As a cinema experience I thought the first half of Avatar was amazing, but sadly the story couldnt carry it through with a very weak plot, weak charachters and too many cliches and too many deus ex machine from the screen writers (James Cameron?) to get out of plotholes. I'm really looking forward to someone combining the technology with a good story. I'm holding out for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland in 3D

OP
C

Careface

Death by sexy
May 31, 2007
I wasn't going to say anything but Lonei told me to tell you I thought it was shit (again I guess!)

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Well I agree it's maybe a bit over hyped compared to Role Models/I love you man, but unfunny? :<

OP
C

Careface

Death by sexy
May 31, 2007
I laughed once or twice (mainly at the Asian guy) but yeah, it's a pretty forgetful movie. Can't remember any outstanding quotes (exception being the holocaust ring) and I only stopped watching it an hour and a half ago.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Do you watch Community btw, the Asian guy is awesome in it, as Spanish teacher :D

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
We've mentioned it quite often :p I think you'll like it :p