Mirrors Edge

Jai

May 4, 2008
Anyone playing this? Got a pirate copy at the mo, really enjoying it, although it is a tad prone to lock ups at present with PhysX.

When you get into it, its great fun.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Jai said:
Anyone playing this? Got a pirate copy at the mo, really enjoying it, although it is a tad prone to lock ups at present with PhysX.

When you get into it, its great fun.

YOU'RE THE REASON I HAD TO EAT BUDGET SUPERMARKET OWN BRAND FOOD THIS WEEK :<

:axe: :argh:

OP
J

Jai

May 4, 2008
:(

I will drop you off some Bran Flakes. Should be enough to keep you alive for a week or two.

You don't live too far away, so shouldn't be a problem. I just have to jump over all these buildings.

Arly

Non-Shouter
Oct 3, 2007
Anshrr said:
I tried the demo on xbox360, but I _really_ hate jumping puzzles, so I quit during the tutorial. Fucking jumping crap. :<

Good thing that you don't play a mage then. Get it? :D

Lafielle

Apr 14, 2007
I played the demo on xbox too but I'm not so keen on the perspective. Plus I have like 20 games I still need to play.... LittleBigPlanet is up next ^^ (Bought at full price and completely legitimately, Braque).

Arly

Non-Shouter
Oct 3, 2007
Did you make that game btw Braque? Since downloading it illegal affected your mealticket.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Arly said:
Did you make that game btw Braque? Since downloading it illegal affected your mealticket.

Nah, I didn't work on that. I don't get royalties so piracy doesn't affect me directly, but via the trickle-down - lost sales means less money for publishers, means tighter budgets for developers, means less pay/worse job security/more unpaid overtime across the whole industry.

Arly

Non-Shouter
Oct 3, 2007
So basically you ate "BUDGET SUPERMARKET OWN BRAND FOOD" for some other reason.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Arly said:
So basically you ate "BUDGET SUPERMARKET OWN BRAND FOOD" for some other reason.

Who's to say, had Jai not downloaded Mirror's Edge for free, he might have bought some other game I *had* worked on. I don't really see what point your making here? Your not seriously condoning software piracy? If it's not me, it's someone else. So what if I used (obviously exaggerated) mock indignation to lighten my point a little bit? Someone, many people, worked hard on that game, stealing from them is just as bad as stealing from me.

X

Xaverri

Lafielle said:
I hear that having children can be quite expensive.

QFT :D

And yeah braque, you are right. I don't download full games anymore, but that's more cause I don't have time for them anyway. I always do buy a game or cd when I really enjoy the downloaded version though. It's not the best, but better then not buying anything at all :)

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
It's a bit of a dangerous discussion.... Kinda like the "pirate music" discussion.....
Research shows that people that download music buy more music in stores then people that do not download. Same is true for games.....

Yes, I do download a lot. But I'm quite sure that I buy more games then anyone here (yes, I can safely say that. I buy an average of about 3 games every month) and the main reason I buy is that I have tested the game for free.

Then there's the whole copy protection discussion. I seriously refrain from buying games because of copy protection. I will never, ever buy a game by Electronic Arts because of the crap they force on you, "protection" wise. I will always buy games from Stardock as I know there is nothing in there that will screw up my PC without asking. There's also the fact that once I buy a Stardock game I can download it again and again and again.

I do not condone piracy. Not of software nor of music/video. I do, however, think that it's a niche that's filling a demand. A demand that the Big Companies refuse to see, let alone fill. The world has changed; it's not the companies that decide what consumers want anymore, it's the consumers themselves. And if the companies do not supply that then the consumers will find other ways.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I think the point that's being made is that your literal interpretation of Braque's hyperbole is not actually undermining the validity of his principal argument but instead twisting the use of a literary device by emphasizing its literal meaning to try and evoke an amusing response.

Also this picture is way cute:

dont-feed-troll.jpg

OP
J

Jai

May 4, 2008
I brought Mirrors edge today.

You may eat now Braque.

90% of internet statistics are made up by greedy fuckers. Mostly within the music, games and media sector. Fact.

The fact they charge 500+ quid just to find your IP/ISP is a joke in itself. Half the cases they cant even prove because they employ retarded companies also just in it for the money and feck all to do with actually solving the actual problem, who also have no idea about the legality of file sharing. Which is why most of the cases fall apart the moment they walk into a court room.

Why does this happen? It makes more money for the money grabbing idiots at the top who get payed for all the above, in 'service to the industry', fact is they pour more and more money into this area which would of been better spent fixing the problem, rather than policing something so large with so little resources.

Spore showed how retarded the advice was they received on stopping piracy. Steam shows the other side of the picture as a way of delivering and securing games, sure people still pirate steam stuff still its more controllable, as does WoW. The day all games firms move towards centrally managed games, the smaller the piracy issue will get.

As someone from the industry said the other week, just because someone downloads a copy of game does not mean they are not willing to pay for the game, or paid for a copy in the first place.

Use me as an example, make a shit game, I will pirate it, and wont ever buy or play it again. Make a good game, I pirate it, try it out, love it, pay for it, seems rather simple to me. Yes some people don't follow this trend but still I think you get what I mean.

Would you pay for a shit car? I certainly wouldn't.

Would you pay for a copy of what is supposed to be shit car? I certainly wouldn't.

Would you pay for a car that you never test drove, I certainly wouldn't.

Considering the games industries demos are total rubbish or limited by time like Left for dead, I'll stick with test driving before use.

Imo.

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
I'm fascinated by the fact that the easier a game is to copy, the cheaper it is. I was looking at the new Prince of Persia. For Xbox 360 the price was ~$66, for pc the price was ~$29. Now which version do you think it's easier for me to obtain and play via piracy? Mind you, my xbox is unmodded. Yeah, that's right, the PC version. Well, come to think of it, it kinda makes sense, lower price point, less likely to download pirate copy..... I STILL DON'T LIKE XBOX GAME PRICES ><