Minor (HUGE) Vista Issue

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
In Win Explorer, you can sort files by size, type, etc.. Only in Vista, the default types are really lame. Tags and ratings aren't options I use, but yet, DEFAULT! So I add Date Modified, and Type to the sorting options, and sort using either. However, after a short and/or long while, it resets. And I have to add it again, pissing me royally off.
Anyone know how to PERMANENTLY make certain sorting options show on the sort menu (when right clicking or whatever)?
It's getting annoying ><

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
How to Apply the Changes to All the Same Folder Type Templates

NOTE: This is to apply the changes made to all windows of the same folder template as the current window.
WARNING: This must be done from within the window that you are changing, or it will not work.

1. Click on Tools on the Menu bar and click on Folder Options. (Press ALT to show the menu bar).

2. Click the View tab.

3. Check Remember each folder's view settings.
NOTE: If unchecked, Vista will ignore custom view settings for every folder and have every folder open using default settings instead. Only, uncheck this setting to force all folders to stop using display settings you have specified.

4. Click Apply.
5. Click the Apply to Folders button.

6. Click Yes to the confirmation prompt.
7. Click OK.

I don't use Vista so I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. It says that its the solution for the problem: "Changes to sorting order do not stay" and that sounded like the one you described.

Sunchaser

Jul 16, 2008
I had this problem too, and I can't believe Microsoft still hasn't release a PROPER fix to this. I have done the above and also did some registry editing and it is a tiny bit better now. Every single folder atleast remembers my setting, but a new folder will still be in the wrong view setting. So slowly but steadily my folders are looking how I want them to look. But honestly, I'm going to go back to XP over this if it won't get fixed properly. I am NOT a fan of Vista -_-