Max Dps

Cataclysm

May 5, 2007
Check out this site to see what dps you can achieve with your spec.

Pew Pew! http://www.maxdps.com

It takes your spell/melee rotation into account and lets you know what levels your single-target dps can reach, and also how stacking more of each stat increases your dps. For example, i have laid out mine below, showing that Hit rating is most important. Once hit capped spell haste is the next stat to go for, followed by Damage, then crit.

Current Stats

Shadow Bolt DPS: 1,200.3 dps
Corruption DPS: 178.8 dps
Siphone Life DPS: 84.3 dps
Total DPS: 1,463.4 dps

Extra Stat Contributions

(+) 10 Hit Rating: 8.98
(+) 10 Crit Rating: 4.96
(+) 10 Shadow Damage: 6.74
(+) 10 Spell Damage: 6.74
(+) 10 Spell Haste: 7.62

These values are changed dynamicly if you add/subtract abillities from your rotation etc. The layout finishes by showing you the top rated items for your spec. Now you can check if that gear really is an upgrade with a simple click!

For example; My chestpeice Vestments of the Sea-Witch are rated as 104.68 dps, the only other chests coming close being Robes of Rhonin with 97.64 dps, and Robe of the Malefic with 94.44 dps. Tonnes of Stamina tho & ofc set bonues are not included. :angel:

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Not to rain on your parade but this site (atleast from a Warrior perspective) are not accurate. If you can, use a spreadsheet instead since those are more accurate. But hey, maybe it's different for casters because they don't have to deal with the complex rage system I guess <_<

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
I've been using it for a while, it's by no means perfect but for casters it is pretty accurate, i use maxdps + a character building site to work out my gear set that i'm working towards, also naturally maxdps doesn't care about stamina/int, and as i value those highly i sometimes have to ignore what it says to an extent.

http://www.chardev.org is the character building site

http://www.chardev.org/?template=21292 my pre-sunwell gear setup for anyone who's interested, taken some items that offer reasonably lower dps than others i can get due to the sheer quantity of base stats they have on them.

OP
C

Cataclysm

May 5, 2007
I generally use intuition to work out what gear is a good upgrade, but what i like about this site is that you can get a second opinion on how big the upgrade is, and what gear is best for different specs.

Yeah Warlocks don't have a very complex dps cycle really. It's either Corruption, siphon life, (perhaps Immolate) and Shadowbolt. Or just plain old Shadowbolt alone (Boooooring :p ). I've used in-depth spreadsheets in the past but i find that they just never fit with real game situations anyway, I use them as a guide at best. Just like the way this site is laid out & the gear check feature really.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Yeah, didn't mean to say those pages are totally useless, just for some classes they aren't optimal. They are great to get a good overview of drops though.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
We wary of planning out an "ideal set" - it's a practice that encourages players to pass on good items that are an upgrade, and slows the raids over all gear progress.

Yes, know what is good for your class. Of course. But don't expect to get your perfect set without taking intermediate upgrades before hand.

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
167 dps loss if I don't use DS, according to this. Chopit is done for.

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
I don't like that it values hit rating lower for destruction. Raid viability demands hit cap! (just my opinion ofc)

OP
C

Cataclysm

May 5, 2007
I checked with my stats but destro spec and it valued hit the highest, but equal with haste. Perhaps you missed some of the details out?

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
I just don't like that it suggests veiled noble topaz over great dawnstone. It is better for dps but I rather have hit rating capped than 5 more dps.