Looking for a new laptop

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
My old laptop (Zeptop 6214 died a few months ago after only 2½ year, but sadly this falls out of the warranty period. I could get it repaired, but this model has been known to have a lot of problems and break down easily, so Im a bit hesistant with that.
So I'm looking for a laptop primarily for school work (i.e. word etc), internet and to use as storage, listen to music and watch movies on and not really to be used for gaming. But I also want a laptop that will last longer than my previous one and is of good quality.
Thus I'm wondering if any of you hardware savvy people can recommend something?

OP
Gombur

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
Braque said:
The iBook was (and I presume still is) very robust.

But are they still sold? I only know of a guy here in Denmark who sells them refurbished

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Careface said:
Also out of most peoples price range? I thought they were silly expensive.

Probably less expensive then buying a new laptop every 6 months 'cos cheap ones keeps breaking.

The iBook Gala bought is still in use by Dylan, gets all sorts of abuse and hadn't broken yet. Must be 6+ years old at least.

EDIT: Looks like the iBook range is now called "MacBook" and the "PowerBook" is called "MacBook Pro". I can't really speak for how robust the new MacBook is compared to the old iBook, but Apple build quality and product lifecycle is usually very good compared to other brands. They are expensive, yes, compared to similar spec'd systems from generic non-brand retailers. But then to a certain extent, you get what you pay for.

Chirrad

Sep 29, 2009
Budget is the main thing you didn't specify. There are plenty of reasonable laptops around for £300-400 which have pretty reasonable specs these days. I'd probably avoid the cheaper makes like Acer or the cheaper HP models, and go for something Toshiba, Samsung etc. Just pick one with a decent screen (if you're watching movies on it), and go to a shop and see which has the least annoying keyboard. Spec-wise, they'll all play movies, run a web browser and Office!

And yes, the Apple route might last longer (my friend's old mac laptop from when I was at uni with him 6-7 years ago is just about still going), but they do cost a lot more - the cheapest mac laptop I can find with a quick search was £750, and you can buy one cheap one, wait for it to break, then replace it for that money :)

OP
Gombur

Gombur

Guild Mascot
Sep 21, 2005
Oh yes I did forget about my price range, but it would be between the £300-400 as you stated yourself. As stated it would mainly be used for word, web and media as I'm going to upgrade my desktop later on for gaming purposes.

Thing is that I also have no idea about good brands etc.

Ded

is Ded
Mar 4, 2007
HAY I've hijacked this old thread to save starting a new one.

I have a friend in the market for a gaming laptop. Anyone have any good suggestions for her? Probably around the £400-£600 (€480-€730ish) mark..

Thanks!! :D

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
HAY I've hijacked this old thread to save starting a new one.
I have a friend in the market for a gaming laptop. Anyone have any good suggestions for her? Probably around the £400-£600 (€480-€730ish) mark..
Thanks!! :D

Depending on where you live you might want to consider taking mine ;)

Acer 18.4" FullHD screen with nVidia 9700M videocard, runs WoW pretty nicely (raids without any trouble).
Has to be somewhere near NL or southern UK (Cambridge/Nottingham) though :D

If you're not anywhere close your best bet is still to look for an Acer, they are pretty much the only brand you'll find a decent gaming laptop from for around that price.

Ded

is Ded
Mar 4, 2007
I'm in Berkshire, Croga.. a bit of a distance, but not THAT far.. how much you asking for it..?

Mystara

Master of Elements
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
1 Million Dollars!

dr-evil.JPG