Hooking up my laptop to a TV

Tbone

Apr 4, 2008
Liverpool
I just went n got myself a 22" HD TV, and I wanna know what the name of the lead is that will hook it up to my laptop (im assuming its possible) so i can go ahead n order one of those so I don't have to squint my eyes at my tiny UI :<

thanks in advance <3

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
you won't believe the levels of hell you'll find yourself in soon xD

edit: To be helpful, we need to know which connections your TV and laptop actually support. Otherwise I'm gonna blindly guess a Dsub -> Dsub connection has the highest chance of being on both devices.

OP
Tbone

Tbone

Apr 4, 2008
Liverpool
ah right, im not heading back to uni til the weekend which'll be the first time i plug the tv in, so i'll let you know then.

and are you sayin its gonna be complicated as fuck, or that itll fuck up quite often? hell isnt something i fancy :<

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
If you can give me a photo of the laptop's video out and the exact model name of your TV, I can let you know as well.

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
gink:
Since your laptop comes with a DVI->VGA converter, I'm assuming it has a DVI out.

Therefore you want a DVI to HDMI cable, they're quite affordable, no hassle to set up and offer the highest possible quality.

41s%2BHKFinRL._SS400_.jpg

OP
Tbone

Tbone

Apr 4, 2008
Liverpool

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
S-Video is shit, but almost all laptops have either a VGA out or a DVI out. Assuming it has the VGA out, my initial prediction of dsub -> dsub is correct ^^ (dsub is the same as vga here)

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
You'll likely also need a way to get the sound from the lappy to the telly. Generally a mini-jack to dual-cinch will do the trick for that but you'll have to check the TV

OP
Tbone

Tbone

Apr 4, 2008
Liverpool
aaah right, i see the VGA out now, but it has no holes either side for the screws that normally come either side of the VGA cable to screw into. will this be a problem if i get my hands on a cable with the screws either side, coz i dont fancy ordering cables i cant use, i get easily frustrated with computers as it is.

edit: will VGA to VGA cables not only transfer the video to the TV but the sound as well, or will i still need to find another cable of some sort to get the speakers to play the laptop's sound?