Help with internets!

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
Recently my internet has been incredibly unpredictable and laggy. Did a speed test just now and i get 3mbs down, 0.5mbs up and 52ms, which is fine. But every so often my ms jumps up to about 2k and download/upload basically go to 0. I've tried all the things i can think of but i just can't fathom whats causing it. Any ideas?

Tbone

Apr 4, 2008
Liverpool
anyone else on your network? i had that so i jus ban their ip addresses whenever i wanna do somethin productive, like raid :D

and i still charge all 3 of em enough to cover my share of the internet, n they have no clue whatsoever....

OP
C

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
afaik there is currently no-one else using the internet in the house, though i don't have the password for the router so i can't kick people off it :(

Lonei

Shitpenis
Aug 7, 2008
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Cronocious said:
*writes down Lonei's password for future reference*

Most routers have a default password that you can look up at the manufacturer's homepage. Try those.

OP
C

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
Okay, turns out the password was never changed from the one on the back of the router so I've now told the router to give bandwidth preference to WoW, hope that helps

Jazende

Sacred vines, entangle the corrupted!
Staff member
May 12, 2008
Try checkign throughout the day if there are more pc's connected

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
The router will (should) have a log of all connections since it's last reset. That said, if it's the router a reboot will likely fix it.

Get scientific - ping the router and ping google when the internet seems fine to you and make a note of the times. Then next time your connection bottoms out, repeat the test.

If the time to ping the router is much slower, the the router or your computer, or the local network is probably the problem. If not, its outside your local network, and you should contact your ISP. If the ping to google is slow, a traceroute might tell you where the problem is (likely your ISP). If ping to google is fine when connection to blazzard is bad it might be something between your ISP and Paris, in which case they might not be able/willing to help.

OP
C

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
in game ms (i have no idea how accurate that is): 400
google ms: 46
router ms: 1

so it's a connection to paris problem? :/

done some more testing:
in game ms varied from 200-400, google ms was always around 46, router ms was always 1-2

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
200-400ms in game really shouldn't be a problem. I'm usually around those values (250 usually) and playing just fine.
It's those 2k spikes where you'll want to know ms to google and your router.

Careface

Death by sexy
May 31, 2007
Whats the problem if i have a constant 150-200 MS but it gives me spikes every 20 fucking seconds (mainly lasting a second or two but can be upto 5-10)