ACCEPTED (social): Calgraith - Draenor - Mistweaver - Monk

Calgraith

Bfa Trial
Apr 29, 2018
Tell us about yourself:
Hi, I'm Cal (Dean), 31 from the UK and a graphic designer. I have been playing wow since launch, raiding 'hardcore' through most of naxx40 as a warrior, before re-rolling resto shaman for TBC and clearing Sunwell pre KJ nerf. I switched to 10 man raiding in wrath clearing Arthas on heroic. Following Cho'gal in Cata and due to RL commitments I decided to raid with more casual players and friends going forward. I have only had Mythic experience (outside of pugs) at the end of WoD where I was consistently invited back x-realm to play with a guild that lost an active healer.

This expansion I helped run a guild running heroic content which unfortunately lost the majority of its core players after emerald nightmare. I quit the game whilst i did some travelling and on my return decided to try something new after a decade of chain healing and re-rolled to monk.

I love mistweaver but I've not had the chance to be in an established raid setup with it as I was running my own business which made me hesitant to commit to specific raid times.

With the expansion due and my career back to a 9-5 I am eager to get back into raiding and experience bosses as they are intended, rather than the watered down versions.

Battle Tag: Calgraith#1377

Armoury link: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/draenor/calgraith
old main: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/argent-dawn/calgraith

What traits are your weapons at? What legendaries have you obtained?
75 mistweaver
Currently running Prydaz/Velen's, only have 3 more legos to collect.

Warcraft Logs: n/a

Your UI in raid combat:
https://imgur.com/xKQEszX
with addon frames: https://imgur.com/IYsSe9N

Why are you applying to MM? How did you hear about us? Do you know anyone here?
One of my oldest friends who I've played with since Wotlk joined your guild for Legion; Nekota/Luciena/Klutsch aka Steve.

I have heard a lot of positive feedback about your raiding style and approach to tactics. Having acted in officer/raid lead roles in the past I have always enjoyed being able to input ideas into boss tactics and personally hate the 'follow what method and fatboss did on youtube' approach to raiding.
The idea of coming up with tactics that suit the strengths of the group rather than trying to copy others is a refreshing and exciting concept that I should have taken of tried to be a part of at the start of this expansion.

Im also keen to prove to myself that I can excel on a different healer whilst making new friends and being part of a community going into BfA.

Why are you leaving your current guild? If we were to look at your guild history, would we find anything concerning?
Currently guildless, all my previous guilds have essentially disbanded. I have always found myself in senior roles of gm/officer/class officer/loot council and dont have any skeletons on my closet.

Raiding experience while current:
EM, ToV, NH, ToS - full heroic clears
Antorus - 8/11 heroic (across both characters)

What is your main spec? How long have you played this?
Mistweaver - rerolled April'17 played for 6 months, recently picked it back up a couple of months ago.
(i only generally play healers and ive played everything to a high level except holy pala)

What is your stat priority? Explain why.
Crit/vers - These work best for throughput as base mastery is so high and does not proc from essence font and only on the primary target of vivify. Haste has low priority as the only possible gain is one extra tick of mists.

Why should we bring your class/spec to a raid? What do you feel is the defining feature of your class/spec?
Monk does not excel in one area, its a jack of all trades. It does however provide a healer with high mobility and a lot of smart healing. I've always been of the belief that all healers are viable and its up to the player to adapt their play style to fit in with their partner classes to get the most out of their tool set in any given situation.

What addons do you use to enhance your performance?
Healbot
Weakauras
DBM

Where do you find the latest information in relation to your class?
Other than an initial glance at icy veins before i made my monk I have used my decade of resto shaman experience and knowledge of spell mechanics to form my own opinion of how to play the class. I do however check warcraft log parses to see if my own judgement tallys up with the high end player base.

What do you do outside of a raid to improve your character, play style and performance?
As it is a newish main character I have only just began to run mythic plus, although the monk play style is very different between 5 man and raid content so this does not really bolster raid performance.

Do you ever change around talents depending on the encounter? If so please, give an example.
The only real decision that I find on monk is whether Im going to have mana issues. This depends on the fight and whether I have Blessing of Wisdom. At my current gear level and the content im doing im not finding I am needing to spec mana tea or spirit of the crane. I always aim to finish a fight oom and not waste any potential.

What is your offspec? How comfortable would you be if we asked you to raid as your offpsec?
I only really play brew to farm old content

We raid Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays 20:00-23:00 Server Time. Are you able to commit to these times and days?
Yes

Can you accept criticism? If not then do not apply, we frown upon shifting blame a lot more than people admitting to mistakes and improving on it.
Perfectly fine

Do you have a mic? Do you have a proper setup and internet connection to play the game competitively? (that is, at least 30 and ideally more fps in raids)
Yes, decent PC, 100mb internet and always like to have a voice :)

We all need the occasional raiding day off for various reasons, but we expect these reasons so to be fully disclosed at as early a time as possible to make planning an easier process. Have you any planned absences in the foreseeable future that we should know about?
Nope

Do you have anything else to add?
Thank you for your time.

Smaj

RawR!
Staff member
Jan 7, 2013
Hey Calgraith,

Thanks for your app. We'll take a look and get back to you soon.

Kind regards,
Smaj

Smaj

RawR!
Staff member
Jan 7, 2013
Hi again,

We've discussed your app and have decided to accept you as a social for now and see what the next few months/BfA brings, however, we cannot make any promises.

Kind regards,
Smaj