OP
E

Edds

wow blizz came up with an idea to throw sand at each other

OP
Z

Zyena

oops wrong post :p

anyway, world pvp seems nice, didnt fully read it all but the whole sand thing confuses me a bit.... but still.... must get sand! :D

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Some more blue on the matter: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=9055993&s=blizzard&tmp=1#blizzard

It's not sand. It's Silithyst. It's the resource that is going to be collectible as a part of the Outdoor PvP event being placed in Silithus.

There is a lot of misunderstanding in regard to the Outdoor PvP and its intention.

First, it is 'World PvP' because it occurs in the world. There are no queues to join. There is no guarantee of fairness and there is the extra risk of mob interaction.

Second, it's not intended that people go to those zones JUST to PvP. World PvP should just happen. In this case by adding in goals to a zone that already has a lot of high level activity, we add an extra dimension of things to do within that zone. There is no obligation for anyone to take part in it. If you're there and you choose to take part, then take part. If you don't want to, then don't.

I understand that people wanted something more 'epic' in nature and would that have been implemented, the idea of spontaneous and voluntary participation in the PvP would have been thrown out the window as everyone and their next door neighbor's cousin would be getting massive raid groups together to storm X Castle vs a more naturally occuring PvP.

It was not put in a low level zone so that high level players didn't have a reason to harrass lower level players. By placing these activities in high level zones that have lots of activity we help ensure that people of the appropriate levels have a chance to take part. While the faction balance may not be fair, the levels should be failry evened out. (For those worried about what happens when people level 60-70 realize there will be outdoor PvP goals in the expansion as well.)

Third, there will be no risk of DKs. (For those worried about it.) Each side (at least in Silithus) has their own base camps they will be turning in their collections to. Feel free to gank each other at will.

Fourth, I read some comments where people felt it didn't coincide with the lore of the regions due to the shared threat by both sides, the Horde and the Alliance both. Please realize that while the Horde and Alliance share a threat, that does not mean they necessarily get along or work together. They still have a genuine distrust and animosity for each other. If they didn't the Horde would be at the Stormwind AH buying things to their heart's content and the Alliance would be in Orgrimmar consorting with Orc Auctioneers.

It's still important to note that there is testing still to be done on the system and these events. For those that are worried about fairness, there are battlegrounds that force the sides to be even. For those that are looking for gear rewards, the battlegrounds are for that as well.

For those that want to PvP out in the world on their own terms whether it's solo or with a small group, or with a whole raid party, that option is going to be there. The reward is the satisfaction of crushing your enemies under your bootheel. What you get out of it also is a short duration buff that is beneficial to you and everyone participating in that zone (should your side be victorious of course.) Please note the word "short" that I used. While players will be able to go into a raid like AQ20 with the buff, it will not be a very long lasting buff (at current 15 minutes) and certainly isn't going to get an entire raid through a dungeon to kill everything in it.

Now I'll end this very long post with my disclaimer. ;) Being that this is still due for testing, any current information that has been shared to the public can change based on testing. It is important that when this aspect of testing comes up that we get as many people as possible to participate and give us feedback on what they feel works and doesn't work. The team would like to make these events the best they can so that people feel there is reason to PvP in the world again without it becoming a lagfest like the old days of Tarren Mills and Southshore.

While people look back on those days fondly, there is also a bit of sour to go with it. Lag and crashing realms was not fun for everyone let alone how badly it interrupted normal leveling in a hotly contested zone. We would hope to avoid that in order to give a better experience to everyone.

OP
G

I don't really get it, maybe it's just me.... but what exactly will change?

If people want world PvP they can do /pvp, what's so different about picking up some sand to enable PvP? :?

But I know nothing about PvP so /shrug :|

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Johras said:
I don't really get it, maybe it's just me.... but what exactly will change?

If people want world PvP they can do /pvp, what's so different about picking up some sand to enable PvP? :?

But I know nothing about PvP so /shrug :|

It stimulates actually activating PVP by connecting a reward to it :)

OP
G

A small 15 min buff and likely slower honor farming?

Plus it's in sili, you'll prolly get a million adds while killing one player :lol:
(should make fd a lot more useful though ;))

OP
N

noobies

priests will be totally overpowered now in tansendance, they just pull a load of mobs and fade and on top of that they can fear the player into mobs aswell LOL

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
noobies said:
priests will be totally overpowered now in tansendance, they just pull a load of mobs and fade and on top of that they can fear the player into mobs aswell LOL

I am sure their DPS in full transcendence will pwn the Gods 8)

EDIT: They will Fade, they will heal and the mob will only go for them then if they aggroed it due to healing aggro.

OP
N

noobies

jesus how lame.

they should just make a specific zone where you pvp enables when you enter it, this is just crap. :?

OP
G

noobies said:
jesus how lame.

they should just make a specific zone where you pvp enables when you enter it, this is just crap. :?
/no, that is called a PvP server.... :roll:

But this is crap too :lol:

OP
N

noobies

yea, but making like 2 or 3 zones pvp enabled would be nice especially if you put some nice stuff in that zone for players to get like chests and herbs, mines. Or make more STV/DM arena like places.