Comp specs for a friend

Smaj

RawR!
Staff member
Jan 7, 2013
I'm not much of a hardware person (software ftw!), so help appreciated! They're after a shiny new thing to raid 25man WoW on with lovely super duper ultra settings, frap stuff, play other games etc..

They've got a budget of about 1-1.5k Euros (well jelly, pfft) and have been suggested the following build:

Cooler Master CM 690 II
700 Watt Cooler Master energy supply
Intel Core i7-3820 3.60 GHZ
Cooler Master Hyper 412S
MSI X79A-GD45 (8D)
7.1 Sound Card
16GB DDR3 Memory
1000 GB SataIII Hard disk
DVD Player
Nvidia GTX 760 2GB Graphic Card
1Gbit network card
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
BullGuard Internet Security
Tuning and overcloaking by the company
Any better/cheaper/alternative etc. components? Is the system a complete overkill and could a lot be saved?

Many thanks

Mystara

Master of Elements
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
Get a SSD to go along with the hard drive so the important stuff loads quicker (which is pretty much the main thing you want from a new pc right?). Personally not a Nvidia fan since they released a driver update that melted cards, maybe they melted the guy in charge of testing since I've seen any reports along those lines since.

Atermors

Dec 2, 2010
Cooler Master CM 690 II
700 Watt Cooler Master energy supply
Cooler Master Hyper 412S
MSI X79A-GD45 (8D)
7.1 Sound Card
16GB DDR3 Memory
1000 GB SataIII Hard disk
DVD Player
Nvidia GTX 760 2GB Graphic Card
1Gbit network card
Any better/cheaper/alternative etc. components? Is the system a complete overkill and could a lot be saved?
The overall system is maybe okay for high details.... ultra no way :) WoW is a demanding bitch when it comes to 25man ultra details.

First of all maybe check out http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/986175-Marest-s-Sample-Builds he has quite good builds there.
why would you buy a last generation processor that isn't even cheaper? Get a Haswell i5 which is more than enough (if you need the i7 then get a haswell i7 but for gaming really not worth it)
Thus my suggestion:
Intel i5 4670k

You really don't need 16GB Ram, so if you want to be reasonable and save some bucks get 8GB.

1TB Hard Disk is nothing these days. Get a nice at least 256GB (better more) SSD like a Crucial M500 or a Samsung 840 (Pro). Additionally some 2-3TB HDD for data.

For the graphics card I would go with a GTX770 at least. (Well I prefer ATI tbh, but doesn't really matter.)

1Gbit network card
7.1 Sound Card
lol! Do they mean the normal on board stuff?
Get a proper sound card like a Creative Soundblaster Z.

yuck!

Any reason to get an old OS? Windows 8 is much better than its reputation.

For 1.5k€ you get much better stuff than what is offered there. The components are old and don't really fit together. I can create you a full list or just buy one of marest's builds. Guess the Gaming $1470 fits well.

OP
Smaj

Smaj

RawR!
Staff member
Jan 7, 2013
Ta both, I'll pass it on and come back with stuff, hope I as the messenger don't get shot

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
edit: late Bunny is late.

I agree on the i5, but it really doesn't matter if it's ivy bridge or haswell. If you want to be cheap, do what I did and buy a used €50 mobo that can overclock and an K series i5, saves you lots of cash. If you want 25mans to run well on ultra you also need to overclock that things to 4+ GHz.

After owning an ATI 3850 and 5850 and now an nVidia 660 Ti, I definitely recommend the nvidia.

The 760 and 770 are both fantastic cards, which one you choose is just a question of budget. I'd rather have a used mobo and ivy i5 with a 770 than a Haswell i7 with new Mobo and just a 760. But that's just me.

More than 4GB is useless for WoW but it's not expensive either.

Definitely get an SSD, anything else is bullshit. If you never have more than 3-4 games installed 128GB is fine, better than nothing. 256 gives you flexibility though.