Windows Vista

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
With SP1 out and all the fixes before that, is Vista worth installing as the main OS now? I'd still keep XP on the side I suppose, by buying a new HDD for Vista, which is long overdue anyway.

Also, I have a unused Vista Business key from work, does anyone know if I can use a key that came OEM with a laptop to install Vista on my home PC? And lastly, is Vista Business a sucky idea for a home PC for god knows what reason? :p

thanks for any insights

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
For casual use, gaming, internet, stuff like that, I've not really missed XP (other than when settings and similar isn't where I'm used to it) since I swapped to Vista Home Premium or w/e last summer. I did upgrade hardware at the same time, so ofc all of the positive stuff didn't come from Vista alone, but in general, Vista's just fine.
Didn't really wait eagerly for SP1 to fix anything either, haven't noticed anything particular wrong....
And if you're gonna keep XP as well, why not go Vista? :<
Dunno what Business includes tho, so.... check wikipedia, they have a list I think

Hyl

Oct 25, 2005
I haven't had any problems with Vista at all.

But as Anshrr said; settings aren't where they used to be all the time, so you might be a bit annoyed with some stuff until you beat it into submission.

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
If you have a new comp with only post-Vista hardware it shouldn't matter what OS you choose. I have a few friends who run Vista on new computers and none of them have had any problems worth mentioning.

According to some performance test i saw a few weeks back, you can still squeeze out ~5 fps more ingame running XP compared to Vista. But that is hardly a reason to downgrade and maybe this SP1 will tweak the performance.

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
Also, a really smooth thing about Vista, is that it can recover if the GFX driver crashes.... in XP I had to reboot (><), in Vista it just goes black a few secs, and it's back. Which is a huge improvement :<

OP
Bani

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
hmm my GPU recovery works fine under XP here, at least it used to when I had an ATi.

edit: replaced "Vista" with "XP" to make sense again :(

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Aren't you two talking about the same thing? <_<

Neema

May 8, 2007
Anshrr said:
Also, a really smooth thing about Vista, is that it can recover if the GFX driver crashes.... in XP I had to reboot (><), in Vista it just goes black a few secs, and it's back. Which is a huge improvement :<
My GFX card used to (and still do) crash from time to time, and same thing happened. But it wasn't because of Vista or XP as installed OS, it was because a checkbox in ATi Catalyst was switched on (or off when I had to reboot) called "VPU Recover" or similar.

Neema

May 8, 2007
On topic:
Same with every new Microsoft product: IT'S CRAP! - give it a few years of debugging and so on.

I'd stick with XP for as long as I could. Well, on my old stationary at home I even used Windows 2000 which ran WoW and everything perfectly.

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
Used Vista for about 8 months or so before finally giving up on that p.o.s. and downgrading back to XP. Haven't looked back since.