Windows 64bit

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Hey guys,

Is there anyone here that knows anything about Windows?

I've been running Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) for some time now and much to my sattisfaction. Even multiboxing 5 accounts wasn't a problem, everything ran quite smoothly.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to upgrade my memory and with that came the requirement to run 64-bit to get the most out of 6GB of RAM. So today I installed Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Suddenly everything is slowing down to a crawl. Downloading 210MB of updates took 3 hours and I broke off the install after it said "2 of 42" for over an hour. I installed Ventrillo (tested both 64-bit and 32-bit versions, result the same) and when I use the Test option I get all kinds of garbled noise back, as if the CPU was unable to handle it.
WoW set to minimum graphics detail is a problem as well. FPS in open field is about 8-10 so raid will be unplayable :(

More info:
MSI P6N SLI mainboard (nVidia 650i SLI chipset)
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 running at 2600Mhz
2*2GB, 2*1GB ram strips (result when running at only 2*2GB or only 2*1GB is the same)
ATi Radeon HD4850 graphics adapter with 2*20" TFT screen on VGA

Installed latest ATi Catalyst and nForce drivers.

OP
Croga

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
small update:
Increasing the memory clock looks like it has solved the issue with WoW. I might check if I can overclock the memory a bit, apparently the speed of the memory has a bigger impact then I had anticipated.....

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
That's fine and well, but if your system is bogging down at the default safe speeds but not at overclocked speeds, you know something is wrong. I wouldn't know what, I'm staying miles away from Vista for now <_<

OP
Croga

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Joyma said:
That's fine and well, but if your system is bogging down at the default safe speeds but not at overclocked speeds, you know something is wrong.
I know..... with those specs it should be running like a charm and I'm quite sure I'm not meant to be buying 200 euro memory modules to be able to run all this.
But at the moment this is what I have to work with. And if overclocking solves the issue for the moment then overclocking is what I'll be doing.
I wouldn't know what, I'm staying miles away from Vista for now <_<
I would agree with you if there wasn't a dire need to upgrade beyond 3GB of RAM for me. XP-64 isn't an option as that's even worse then Vista-64 so there aren't any alternatives available until I get the dough for a nice MacPro :)

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
XP does 4GB RAM, you really using more than that? <_<

OP
Croga

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Joyma said:
XP does 4GB RAM, you really using more than that? <_<
Alas, XP does 4GB ram total, which includes memory address reservations for stuff like video memory, soundcard addressing, USB, etc. This means that in practice you only have about 3GB available max (3070MB to be precise on my system).

And alas again: Yes, I need more then that..... As a software developer testing, documenting and developing at the same time costs a lot of memory. Also multiboxing by use of VMWare is a big memory hog.

"need" is a relative term of course. Does one need 150 BHP in a car engine? No, but it's nice.... Does one need a 20" screen? No, but it's nice.... Does one need a 100" plasma television? No, as it won't fit in my house, but it'd still be nice ;)

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Well I just meant you can fit 4GB in it without overlap, whatever the hell you use it for is up to you and your PC :p

But yea, with that kind of work I'd definitely go for Vista and a nice truck of RAM xD

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
switching from XP to Vista64 didn't result in losing even a single FPS in shatt for me, so there must be an unsolved issue somewhere.... Sorry I can't help much more right now :p

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Bani said:
switching from XP to Vista64 didn't result in losing even a single FPS in shatt for me, so there must be an unsolved issue somewhere.... Sorry I can't help much more right now :p
Typically RAM related though, simply for the fact that Vista uses about 2gb to run notepad.exe xD

OP
Croga

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Joyma said:
Typically RAM related though, simply for the fact that Vista uses about 2gb to run notepad.exe xD
That's the strange thing..... Even in the worst situations I'm only useing 1700MB out of 6GB.......
Maybe I should try taking out the extra 4GB

OP
Croga

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Croga said:
Maybe I should try taking out the extra 4GB
WTF?! Now running with the old, original 2GB and it's running like xD instead of :gala:

gonna take this a bit further and see if it'll run on just the 2 2GB modules.......

Toba

Loves the Leader and the Leader approves.
Aug 19, 2008
Go to the shop tell the clerk i need a pc that can run wow good.... Buy what ever he gives you..

OP
Croga

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Croga said:
gonna take this a bit further and see if it'll run on just the 2 2GB modules.......
The 2*2GB modules won't work at all, in any configuration..... Seems they're dead somehow although I've been running Vista-32 on them for 2 months now :D

Anyways, I'm back up and running on 2GB now, it's not the ideal solution but for the moment I can play again!