PC turned off, then back on as if power was cut

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
This has me worried so maybe someone can tell me what this is about:

While I was doing an instance my PC turn itself off, as if someone cut the plug for 2 secs, then immediately turned back on and booted as if nothing happened (not a soft reset, actual cold boot since even the MSI lighting on the gfx card turned off).
All other hardware like monitor and speakers did not turn off and they are plugged into the same outlet.

I can pretty much rule out an overheating problem (~30-40°C, the fan doesn't even have to turn on).

Jazende

Sacred vines, entangle the corrupted!
Staff member
May 12, 2008
PSU could be failing. Don't know how you can test this though....

Gloryfool

Jun 22, 2009
PSU, or maybe the lead is loose in the back of the computer.. get ready to order a new psu.
you could always check the voltage with a multimeter I would be more than happy to talk you through the testing.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
You sure your power did not just drop too low for a bit, lights and stuff unaffected?

OP
Ayu

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Had nothing else on but PC, speakers and monitor. The latter do take less power I guess but didn't notice them turning off. Also ran a short CPU stress test afterwards, no problems there. What I did notice though is that connecting to my router took much longer than usual and I have had the WLAN stick give me blue screens before after plugging it out and in quickly. When the shut down happened I did not touch the stick though.

OP
Ayu

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Nah, those at least shows you the shut down stuffs. It just turned off as if you had pressed the reset button.

Arius

May or may not poison food
Nov 21, 2013
Have you checked your Event Viewer to see if there's any entries about it there?

OP
Ayu

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
It's the same event I get when I crash my Windows with the WLAN stick (the generic no power/Windows didn't shut down properly error no 41 or something). Could be related, could not be.

So far my best explanation is that I started playing Druid a bit and I was tempting fate too much.

Arius

May or may not poison food
Nov 21, 2013
Like people above, the PSU being faulty is the first thing that comes to my mind. What PSU do you have?

To rule out the WLAN stick, do you have any other options for network that you could use for a while to test it?

OP
Ayu

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
EVGA Bronze 650 Watt if I remember correctly and no.

I can't even reproduce the one time it completely turned off (for which I am grateful) so I hope it won't happen again, but you never know with these things.