PC help

Piando

Traitor
Jun 17, 2014
Hi there,

I need some help with my PC. I bought a whole bunch of new stuff a while ago (CPU, RAM, Motherboard, case) and until lately it worked just fine. But for some weeks I'm having issues more often and it's getting quite annoying.
There are mainly two things:
1) Sometimes my PC gets really slow. It's probably best to describe what happened yesterday: I played HotS and suddenly my game had serious fps issues. But not only that, my mouse cursor froze every few seconds for a few seconds and TS didn't work either for that time. It's like my whole PC is stopping to work for a couple of seconds, then it's fine for a few seconds, then it's getting bad again etc. Usually this wears of after some time but yesterday I had to force a restart.
2) Interestingly colored screens. From time to time (in most cases when I open WoW) both my screens turn green. Or black. Or red. The sound stops to work or lags heavily. Sometimes it solves itself and goes back to normal after 30 sec or so, but more often than not I have to restart again.

I'm quite clueless about PCs but my guesses would be graphics card and/or CPU. I have to add here that my graphics card turns to max fan speed when I play any game (WoW, HotS, Cities: Skylines....), it's a GeForce GTX 660 Ti and I thought I'd fine with it (it's about 2,5 years old). What makes me wonder if the CPU is the culprit is that I built the PC on my own which means that I might have fucked up the installation of the CPU fan. Also my case is a few cm too small for the fan that I installed thus I had to leave the upper edge of the case open. Maybe the case is putting too much pressure on the fan and the CPU?

OP
Piando

Piando

Traitor
Jun 17, 2014
I ran this program a bit, max temperature was 80°C with fan at ~65% speed, CPU temperature at ~60°C for all cores. Had one incident with screen turning off but they were back ~10 sec later. I checked the graph and saw that the temperature didn't rise over 80°C but there was a sudden spike on GPU usage and a graph called "Power", both to 100%.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Could this be a power supply unit issue? Maybe it degraded so it can't supply a constant and sufficient enough power when the CPU and GPU both need their max.