... it does -what- on proc?

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
Ayu said:
Sucks to be a caster in this game 8)
Q.E.D.

Give something like this to casters too tbh. A chance to disarm attackers when hit or a chance to proc a melee absorbing shield. Oh, wait. Guess that would be overpowered. Nevermind....

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Finally a reason to go shield in PVP, great work :)

And finally some defense vs casters at all :eek:

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Joyma said:

Yeah, like the plethora of absorption pots and resist gear is non existant come 1.10, N00b :cry:

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Ayu said:
Joyma said:

Yeah, like the plethora of absorption pots and resist gear is non existant come 1.10, N00b :cry:

Compare pots with gear, gg 8)

If you think melee is in any way OP in PVP you have to PVP more (or at all) :p

OP
N

Nearly

Joyma said:
Ayu said:
Joyma said:

Compare pots with gear, gg 8)

If you think melee is in any way OP in PVP you have to PVP more (or at all) :p

Idd - casters in PVP are awesome - mages in particular imo.

Huge DPS, lots of control and escape options = danger

Theres a reason that (healers aside) melee always go for casters first. Its not because they're soft targets - its because given 3-5 seconds, they can annihilate any melee that are within range.

As far as team play goes a druid, a priest and a lock can hold off all - played well. Fear/Deathcoil spam is incredibly potent when combined with dots - especially when you consider that the only protection against them is a trinket with a huge cooldown, or WotF if you're undead.

Of course its all about fighting within your range - its just that (imo) in non-perfect conditions its harder to stay in range when you're melee than it is to get out of range (or force the attacker away) when you're a caster.

Don't underestimate the value of 10' of seperation.

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
Nearly said:
Theres a reason that (healers aside) melee always go for casters first. Its not because they're soft targets....
Gonna have to sort of disagree with you here. Based on my pvp experiences with my mage, most of the time the melee classes go after clothies for that exact reason. Why else would they stop chasing the flag runner in WSG and instead go running after a half dead, out of mana mage? This happens all the time. Even more so with rogues. Blink out of that ambush and half the time the rogue will follow you to the other end of the map, because the precious combo points and easy kills mean so much to them.

Nearly said:
Fear/Deathcoil spam is incredibly potent when combined with dots - especially when you consider that the only protection against them is a trinket with a huge cooldown, or WotF if you're undead.
Sure, those anti-fear abilities may not seem like much on paper but in reality the trinket, WotF and diminishing returns combined are more than enough to render fear useless (speaking from a human priest perspective).

OP
N

Nearly

Natalya said:
Nearly said:
Theres a reason that (healers aside) melee always go for casters first. Its not because they're soft targets....
Gonna have to sort of disagree with you here. Based on my pvp experiences with my mage, most of the time the melee classes go after clothies for that exact reason. Why else would they stop chasing the flag runner in WSG and instead go running after a half dead, out of mana mage? This happens all the time. Even more so with rogues. Blink out of that ambush and half the time the rogue will follow you to the other end of the map, because the precious combo points and easy kills mean so much to them.

Good point actually - people after farmed kills will do that - i should have said it was from the point of view of winning the BG :)

Natalya said:
Nearly said:
Fear/Deathcoil spam is incredibly potent when combined with dots - especially when you consider that the only protection against them is a trinket with a huge cooldown, or WotF if you're undead.
Sure, those anti-fear abilities may not seem like much on paper but in reality the trinket, WotF and diminishing returns combined are more than enough to render fear useless (speaking from a human priest perspective).

Thats not been my experience for the most part - if the lock can get off either then the melee is pretty much in trouble, added to which the aforementioned farmers then descend and its game over :)

Priests are in a slightly different boat, its true. Fear is handy, and shield gives you a little time but you do make for softer targets - though Lithia is a good example who shows it doesn't have to be the case.

That said, i've not logged in for more than 10 seconds since the patch, so Holy Priests may now be slightly hardier :)

Natalya

Oct 22, 2005
Nearly said:
Good point actually - people after farmed kills will do that - i should have said it was from the point of view of winning the BG :)
Sure. But even good team players tend to do it. They just need to be properly "motivated" by the opposing mage ;)

Nearly said:
Thats not been my experience for the most part - if the lock can get off either then the melee is pretty much in trouble, added to which the aforementioned farmers then descend and its game over :)
True also, but then again, being alliance, you too get the short end of stick. If you were undead, you'd probably have next to no trouble countering fears, especially Psychic Screams. For alliance priests, fear is too unreliable to be considered a proper defense mechanism in actual pvp (not duels) situations. It's more of a "click the button, hope for the best" kind of ability.

OP
N

Nearly

Natalya said:
Nearly said:
Sure. But even good team players tend to do it. They just need to be properly "motivated" by the opposing mage ;)

I do actually do it to mages tbh - not the whole length of the BG, they don't last that long - but saying so would have weakened my arguement ;)

Natalya said:
Nearly said:
True also, but then again, being alliance, you too get the short end of stick. If you were undead, you'd probably have next to no trouble countering fears, especially Psychic Screams. For alliance priests, fear is too unreliable to be considered a proper defense mechanism in actual pvp (not duels) situations. It's more of a "click the button, hope for the best" kind of ability.

True dat - wish i was an orc/undead ;(