How Taunt works

G

From http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa .... 735732&P=1

Kenco said:
9) Taunt

Casting taunt causes three effects.
A) The warrior is given as much threat as the person who currently has the mob's aggro. Obviously if the warrior has aggro, this will do nothing. Also, this effect will not lower the warriors threat. For example, if player 1 has 100 threat and aggro, a warrior could have 105 but not aggro; after taunt he would still be on 105 threat.
B) The mob recalculates its actual aggro target. If the warrior was on the mob's hatelist before the original aggro target, the mob's actual aggro target will switch to the warrior. Otherwise, the mob will remember it's original target.
C) The normal taunt debuff. The mob is forced to attack the warrior, even if the warrior is not its actual aggro target.

The threat that the warrior gains from (A) is permanent, regardless of the outcome of (B). Note that it will not necessarily give the warrior the equal highest threat on the mob. If player 1 has 100 threat and aggro, Player 2 has 109 threat but not aggro, and the warrior has 0 threat, then the warrior is given 100 threat, not 109, so he could easily lose aggro to Player 2 after taunting.

Is (A) really true? Any proof/disproof?

OP
G

Actually, I'll just reply to my own thread.

I just tested this with Ayu's druid. We did the following test:

Liandra (Mage) brings some random mob to 50% health, then stops attacking. Then Ayu (Druid) does the following:

1) Only cast Growl (equivalent of Taunt)
2) Only cast Faerie Fire (equivalent of Sunder Armor) until Druid gets aggro
3) Cast 1 Growl, then Faerie Fire until Druid gets aggro
4) Cast 1 Growl, wait until debuff on mob is gone, then attack
5) Cast 1 Growl, wait until debuff on mob is gone, then Faerie Fire
6) Cast 1 Growl, wait 30 seconds, then Faerie Fire
7) Cast 1 Growl, wait 120 seconds, then Faerie Fire

More tests:

A) Take mob down to 5%, then Growl + as many Faerie Fires as needed to get aggro.
B) Mage bodypulls. Druid starts with Growl, then Mage does 50% damage, then as many Faerie Fires as needed to get aggro.
C) Druid bodypulls. Druid starts with Growl, then Mage does 50% damage, then as many Faerie Fires as needed to get aggro.

The results were:

1) During each Growl debuff, the mob attacked the Druid, and afterwards it returned to the Mage.
2) 12 Faerie Fires were needed to steal aggro from the Mage.
3) 1 Faerie Fire.
4) After 1 attack, the Druid had aggro.
5) After 1 Faerie Fire, the Druid had aggro.
6) After 1 Faerie Fire, the Druid had aggro.
7) After 1 Faerie Fire, the Druid had aggro.

A) 2 Faerie Fires.
B) 8 Faerie Fires.
C) 9 Faerie Fires.

One theory to explain how Taunt works is that Taunt somehow "amplifies" the next threat that a tank does. However, this is not the case.

Comparing 3 and C shows that if Growl does indeed somehow amplify threat done, the amplification needs to decay over time. But 6 and 7 show that the amplification does not decay over time.

From the above examples, the only explanation I can think of which explains all of the 10 test cases is the one given in the quote in the original post. Keep in mind that to actually steal aggro from another player, you need to exceed his/her threat by a small percentage (10%). This explains that casting Taunt alone is not enough.

What this also means is that the following actually works. Imagine you're fighting Baron Geddon, and when Geddon has 10% health left your main tank dies. Everyone stops attacking, MT2 runs in, taunts Geddon, and does the usual Sunder/Revenge stuff. Geddon now keeps attacking that tank, even though some casters have hit Geddon with for example 20 shadowbolts before.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
This:
"The warrior is given as much threat as the person who currently has the mob's aggro."
in conjunction that you need to do 10% more aggro to actually become number 1 on the hate list of a mob sounds good so far.

PS: Fairie Fire is our weakest aggro generating skill (that's why I used it to get more detailed results) and definitely not comparable with Sunder, which is a high aggro move :)

OP
M

Malar

It is true.

The best proof are the dragons Firemaw, Ebonroc and Flamegor in bwl. On more than one occasion our OTs became the new MT without doing any white damage, without using any abilities save for taunt. The only way they can end up on top of the mobs hatelist is if taunt would give them the hate of current aggro-holder after which the current aggro-holder gets hit with an aggro-reducing ability.

OP
F

ford

Malar said:
It is true.

The best proof are the dragons Firemaw, Ebonroc and Flamegor in bwl. On more than one occasion our OTs became the new MT without doing any white damage, without using any abilities save for taunt. The only way they can end up on top of the mobs hatelist is if taunt would give them the hate of current aggro-holder after which the current aggro-holder gets hit with an aggro-reducing ability.

Hm. Reading this I'm assuming that having an OT taunt + sunder onyxia just before the knockback makes sure that the original MT is on top after the knockback?

(I haven't fought Onyxia yet tho)

OP
R

Ravashak

First few times, I told her I wanted to hump her, but recently, I just admit to her that I'm cheating on her with Haleh.
Now THAT's enough to make her pissed at me.