Help with maths question

Atarix

sup fresh
Nov 3, 2008
Got this question for my homework the other night, i have a feeling its above AS level. But i still want to know how its done. If anyone can solve it and post the method etc, i would appreciate it

Jazende

Sacred vines, entangle the corrupted!
Staff member
May 12, 2008
Just had a quick go at it, and come to a conclusion, which worked for the first equation but not for the second one. So I'll just go over it quickly and see if I can find the error :)

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Careface said:
What does polynomial mean? and what does divided mean?

The first is when you have more then one gnome, and the second is when you won't let them sit together.... xD

Keubad

Oct 5, 2009
Woohoo I solved it. It's not very hard conceptually but I'm so rusty I kept making stupid mistakes.

The key is to express the question:

f(x) is cubic so can be written as f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d

"When divided by (x^2 + x + 1), a cubic polynomial f(x) leaves remainder (2x+3)" means f(x) / (x^2 + x + 1) = g(x) + (2x+3) / (x^2 + x + 1)
"When f(x) is divided by x(x+3), the remainder is 5(x+1)" means f(x) / x(x+3) = h(x) + 5(x + 1) / x(x+3)

Multiplying up gives you: f(x) = g(x)(x^2 + x + 1) + 2x + 3 and f(x) = h(x)(x(x+3)) + 5(x + 1)

Looking at the equations you can see that both h(x) and g(x) must both be linear, which means you can write g(x) = px + r and h(x) = sx + r.

The equations then become:

ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = (px + q)(x^2 + x + 1) + 2x + 3
= (rx + s)(x^2 + 3x) + 5x + 5

You then collect up all the terms such that:

ax^3 = px^3 = rx^3
bx^2 = (p + q)x^2 = (3r + s)x^2
cx = (p + q + 2)x = (3s + 5)x
d = (q + 3) = 5

d and q are found trivially. a = p = r, which means you can substitute that into the other equations to remove p and r, which leaves you with a simulataneous equation for a and s. I can help with the rest but I assume if you're doing AS maths that the rest is pretty easy to solve.

This is where someone probably tells me there's a way easier way to solve it. I think I might cry then.