Handheld consoles

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
So, we'll have quite a bit of spare time at work soon when we start working shifts again (12 hour days, but no increased work-load), and I was wondering what handheld consoles are the shit now.
Is PsP the way to go? Should be considered that it's me and another guy getting one each, and we wanna link them together and such.

And if anyone's thinking of saying "the best handheld console is between your legs LOL", I already know this, so don't!

Hom

Aug 30, 2005
Tbh I would only really consider the DS. Even though I love the psp, its just dead atm.

R4 carts are also pretty cheap for the DS, for some emulator fun.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
DS has all the good games.

and I say this whilst working on a PSP game.

Forget the PSP, it's dead. Get a DS.

PS: Hom, Rikes Raggy!

OP
Gink

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
So what's the difference between them? "PSP is dead" doesn't rellay tell me much when I have 0 prior knowledge about any of them.
Did they stop making games for PSP? Is the graphic and such better on DS? Which is best for linking with?
Also, why does the DS have 2 screens? (Just saw a pic of it when googling "DS")

[e] great new avatar btw, homster :D

Lonei

Shitpenis
Aug 7, 2008
You use a stylus on the bottom screen of the ds. That means touch screen!
There's also a microphone and stuff so you get lots of different games that are unique to the DS because of it's unique features.
Also, it's nice and compact and shiny and smooth. <3 my DS.

OP
Gink

Gink

Nov 25, 2005
Could also use some recommendations for some good 2-player games for the DS, in a variety of genres, thanks ;)

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
PSP does have better graphics, also plays film rather well. It's been a long long time since i played on mine but i had a lot of fun doing multiplayer GTA when that came out. Would be a good idea to see what games are out for each and see what you like imo, console might be great but if you don't like any of the games then there's no point.
Last point would be that when playing the multiplayer GTA i had to keep the PSP plugged into the wall at all times cos the battery went down so fast, no idea what they're like these days.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
The PSP has more powerful hardware, but the DS is cheaper, lighter, smaller, harder wearing, and Nintendo did a better job marketing it, so there are many many more people with DS's than PSP's, and there are many more DS games, so the DS has the better (fun, original) games. Sony is still pushing the PSP, so games are still being made for it, but they are not typically as good, or as many.

K

Khalo

Braque said:
but the DS is cheaper, lighter, smaller, harder wearing, and Nintendo did a better job marketing it

you forgot the gimmicks, entire selling point of anything to do with Nintendo in this generation.

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
I had a NDS and sold it for a PSP. Then I sold the PSP after.

It all comes down to games. PSP has a lot of extremely cool racers (WipeOut, NFS, Burnout, Ridger Racer, and lots more) wicked 3D action games and platformers (God of War, Ratchet & Clank etc), and brilliant tactical RPGs (I especially loved Jeanne D'Arc). And Final Fantasy.

The NDS has Zelda, great RPGs, lots of original games, but extremely poor graphics and last I heard no decent racing game except Mario Kart.

The PSP also doubled as a wifi internet radio for me ^^

Bottom line, decide on what kind of games you're into (http://www.gamerankings.com/itemranking .... rankings=y is extremely helpful for this), then decide which one you get. The gimmicks (stylus control and 2 screens for the DS, gorgeous screen and multimedia for the PSP) and hardware details don't matter after you've had it for a few days - only the games.

Careface

Death by sexy
May 31, 2007
DS + Sonic, Mario kart, Metroid prime hunters, Zelda and Mr Driller will set you straight for a good month or two of multiplayer.

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
I got the PSP for it's multiple uses. I can play Tekken, I can listen to music, I can watch movies, bought or just converted, and I can surf the intarwebs if there's wireless internet near..
Have no experience with the DS, but the thought of talking to my gamingthingie to play, while on the buss, makes me feel uncomfortable :p (Yeah, cause I read about ds games, and it's "Oh it's cool, u can tell it to do stuff and stuff" and it's like why the fck do I wanna talk to my DS on the buss with lots of people around? Pfft, screw that).
Tho, in daylight, u might not have alot of luck watching movies on the PSP. Atleast not the first generation, dunno about the new thinner ones with new screens.

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Most important reason to *NOT* go for PSP: playing about 2 minutes with it my hands started to cramp..... The thing is one huge design flaw.... especially if you want to use the shoulder buttons you need to position your hands in very unnatural poses. It's an RSI risk if ever I saw one.

I do agree that the PSP games are generally more mature and that is an advantage. I personally use my DS for casual gaming. I do the "mature" gaming either on the PC or on the Xbox. Ninty is the master of casual gaming though, a game of Civ is over in 30 minutes, FF sessions can be 30 minutes-indefinate, shoot'em'ups don't take much time.

If I were to get a PSP it would be for all the other options (although I will never watch movies on it, screen is just too small. For music I have a phone and an MP3 player. For internet I have a phone..... hmmm.... no reason to get a PSP then ;))