Game Trade-Ins

Lafielle

Apr 14, 2007
I don't know if it's relevent to any of you, but figured I'd post anyway.

If you trade in any games I'd recommend HMV just now, as they're just getting into the whole pre-owned market and are offering a good deal (the pre-owned games on their shelves are actually brand new). They are paying out £20 for games that Gamestation were only offering £5 for etc. They also give you the money on a gift card too,, so you can hold on to it and get what you like.

K

Khalo

Gamestation and Game have always given awful trade in ratios for games.

Will try HMV next time though, thonkz Laf :3

K

Khalo

Braque said:
Buying second hand games == Killing the games industry. :<

If the games weren't shit or simply unfufilling and/or poorly made in the first place they would never be traded in in the first place. The fault is the game's industry's own.

Oh and the credit crunch and all that bee's wax contributes blah blah blah blah.

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Khalo said:
Braque said:
Buying second hand games == Killing the games industry. :<

If the games weren't shit or simply unfufilling and/or poorly made in the first place they would never be traded in in the first place. The fault is the game's industry's own.

Oh and the credit crunch and all that bee's wax contributes blah blah blah blah.

What a load of rubbish. People trade in great games because they have finished them, not because they are not good. The problem is that Game, HMV, etc, stock the 'pre-owned' games right next to new ones, and not only that, but they actively try to sell people who went in for a new game the pre-owned stock instead, since it brings in more profit for the retailer. You don't see pre-owned CDs & DVDs right next to the new stuff.

"There are a lot of studies that suggest it's anywhere between 8 and 12 or 15 times a pre-owned game goes round. If you think that the [developer's] getting a tiny percentage of those 12 or 15 sales - typically from the sale of a GBP 40 game, the industry only gets GBP 20 anyway, in round figures. That is lost to the system,"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pre-owned-market-is-defrauding-the-industry

Right now the retail vs developers 'discussion' on this has totally broken down, and retail are cannibalising their own market, since the profit at retail for developers get tighter and tighter, more and more will go towards digital distribution (ie, Steam), eventually retail will be cut out the picture altogether. The retail chains know this is on the horizon, and are gorging themselves on the pre-owned market while they can, and sod the consequences.

Note, as well, HMV don't sell pre-owned DVDs/CDs, and Broadband/WHSmith don't sell pre-owned books. There is nothing wrong with second hand resale in principle, second hand bookstores don't hurt the mainstream bookshops, but they way games industry retail operates is not the same, at all, it deprives the people who make the games of their fair share of the industry turn over.

Hom

Aug 30, 2005
Listen to braque, he knows his stuff. Quite a few people at work pissed off about this already.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Interesting, didn't really know about that. Although it's a much smaller thing over here anyways, I think.

Zermo

Aug 26, 2005
I follow this a bit every once in a while, from various sources, not on the inside of a game developers studio, but instead among their core audience, a male between 16-30.

From a students POV, spending the same 40£ on a bad game is painfully.. shitty and spending 40£ on a good game is still a lot of money. Which is where places like Gamestop come into the picture as gamers lifesaver. I can see how this is bad for the developers and I've heard the numbers before, numbers that would make any businessman squirm, the profit margin is very low (if my memory is correct only about 4% of pc game releases see profit), so there's no reason a game developer shouldn't feel crossed that these shops turns a buck for what can almost be described as legal pirating.

With that said you are trying to sell a product with it's homebase in the most liberal place on our planet (the internet), to demographic generally not wealthy (people in their 20ies), who's best friend is used. So I sort of feel like going "Seriously, what did you think was gonna happen?".

While I'm all for supporting the industry in buying legal copies, and not selling them on (Because in the end this will just bite the gamers in the ass, when they see their favorite game developer studios close).

Game developers have to realize that they can't treat this market like they do currently and expect money to come flowing (Unless you're Nintendo (http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos .... _money.gif) but that's more of a console- anyway). The best current idea I think is the MMO strategy (aka constant cash flow, constant development), Steam (the ultimate (cheap) convinience store) or comming up with a form of rental (IE. rent the game through Steam for 2 weeks for half/third of the original price).

OP
L

Lafielle

Apr 14, 2007
I really didn't mean to start a war here. I've never actually traded in any of my old games, I'm an awful hoarder with boxes full of ancient games. And I don't think I've ever bought a preowned game that wasn't at least a year old and not on the shelves as new any more. I have attitude about secondhand, I like new shiny things >< I also don't do illegal downloading or any of that stuff.

But I'm also completely skint and just plain can't afford games new all the time....

Anshrr

#1 LFR Feral for his ILVL
Oct 7, 2005
CERTAINLY NOT DENMARK EWW
I reckon pre-owned games being bought is better than said games being downloaded. Also, if that's a huge concern, maybe add unique gamekeys to your games, that has to be verified online. Problem solved, wanna play the game, ur gonna need a new key, not a used one. (Ofc, that just makes it even easier for ppl to just download the cracked versions imo).
And I agree with Laf, secondhand = stuff you don't know where has been. Maybe someone rubbed themselves against the box. Eww. New or no deal!

K

Khalo

Anshrr said:
secondhand = stuff you don't know where has been. Maybe someone rubbed themselves against the box.

That's part of their charm :<