FPS problems

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
funny thing is, though, that it affects some people more then others. There's a lot of talk that the origin might be a combination of the Deathknights and the nVidia graphics drivers as it seems users of ATi graphics cards suffer a lot less from this.....

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Plenty problems here, have ATI :<

Going to try and play in full screen next time, going to misss my maximized windowed mode, but it usually kills a bit of FPS as well :<

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
dunno what OS you're running on but in windowed mode there is a way to make an application "incompatible" with all OS graphics stuff (like Aero). Switching to that mode is said to improve performance in windowed mode (although it means longer startup and shutdown time for WoW).

I must say I'm pretty happy with the way my new HD4850 is handling the game, I don't really notice any FPS issues with DKs to be honest.

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Croga said:
I must say I'm pretty happy with the way my new HD4850 is handling the game, I don't really notice any FPS issues with DKs to be honest.
The CPU is the bottle-neck in WoW, and I'm running a Core2 Duo 3.16 Ghz ><

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Joyma said:
The CPU is the bottle-neck in WoW, and I'm running a Core2 Duo 3.16 Ghz ><
then you should be doing way better then the 2.4Ghz I'm running on :D (okay, Core2Quad but WoW only uses 2 of the cores; courtesy of the copying of the WoW folder from PC to PC and the Windows install was done before adding the last 2 cores)

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Well, have to compare with people in melee range though, more intense there, I had less problems standing at range. Go and stand in the middle of an AOE trash pack sometime, see what FPS you get, that would be a better comparison :p

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Joyma said:
Well, have to compare with people in melee range though, more intense there, I had less problems standing at range. Go and stand in the middle of an AOE trash pack sometime, see what FPS you get, that would be a better comparison :p
hmmm..... think that would be solvable by extending the zoom range then? That should basically give you the same stuff on screen? Or is it because there's more spelleffects on the character to calculate?

damn..... are we doing Blizz's work now?

D

Dinnin

Also, some people have been complaining about the FPS drop they're getting since the release of Wrath of the Lich King, if you're using a Nvidia card and do not update your drivers often you might want to check the Forceware 180.48 (Win XP / Vista) drivers released a few days after the expansion. (I'm only bringing this up now because my framerate surprisingly improved when I updated, it doesn't mean that it will work with you but it definitely helps for some people)

From mmo-champion.com

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
So far it seems that disabling Recount already boosted my FPS by quite a bit in hectic situations. Never noticed any big problems with it before, so it might just be a WOTLK or recent thing.

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
Recount always was a big fps nerf, made sure you've got the very latest graphics driver update? i know nvidia released one not very long ago

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Cronostwo said:
Recount always was a big fps nerf, made sure you've got the very latest graphics driver update? i know nvidia released one not very long ago
It wasn't, it's never been for me, not even close to what it's doing now.

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
ah dunno then, i just remember having to disable it for pvp when it starting using 1gb of memory.....

OP
Joy

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Yea, you need to make sure you clear data regularly, but it does that by default unless you disable the feature <_<