CPU Cooling | Mouse dis/connecting.

Mutaforma

Disconnected before even joining.
Apr 22, 2015
So I hear we have some techy types in here and I was wondering if any could give their thoughts on my 2 problems.

CPU Cooling

I am running P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 (LGA1155) and Intel Core i7 2700K with stock cooler.​
I have run into some high temperatures lately in GTA V, hitting up to 78 degrees. I changed the cooler paste but at times, I still hit the 72 degree mark where my software gives me warnings.​
My problem is that I am also running with high profile ram, so I am a bit limited on air cooling which I'd otherwise prefer. What are your thoughts. Should I get some awesome 240mm liquid cooling and be set for potential future upgrades or should I just get a 120mm?​
There is a few air cooling heat sinks that should be able to fit, even with high profile ram. Like the Noctua NH-U14S or Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.​

Thoughts?

Mouse Problem

My mouse is disconnecting and only reconnecting when I click it. It's rather annoying and random. The distinct windows sound for connecting/reconnecting plays. I have a hard time believing it's my mouse since it works fine on other devices and it's rather new. I tried yesterday to see if my PSU was misbehaving with a multimeter, but nothing wrong there. It's the same in any USB port but it's only affecting my mouse so far.​
It's a Roccat Kone Pure Optical.​

Again, thoughts?

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I use the Cooler Master one. Personally I thought it was a bitch to install but it's great money for the value and even if your fan fails (or is just lazy as fuck as mine) it still has some cooling capacity.
With the cooler and 3 case fans my CPU runs around 40°C in WoW, goes to 60°C in Prime95 after ~10 mins until the fan actually turns on.
So if you think you can install such a cooler, go for it, IMO.

Maybe the PC is turning off your mouse/USB port to save energy? Could try different USB ports and check under device manager if something like "Computer may turn off device to save energy" is ticked. For me, it's greyed out for my mouse since disabling it would be rather daft but you never know.

Atermors

Dec 2, 2010
The Hyper Evo 212 is pretty much a no brainer in that price bracket. On the other hand 72°C isn't really that hot (still get the hyper evo :D)

You might get some issues with high profile ram, though, so check the heights.

Arius

May or may not poison food
Nov 21, 2013
I'm not sure, but you might be able to help the mouse thing by going to your Power Options in control panel and use the high performance plan or a custom plan while playing.

The Hyper Evo 212 is definitely a good thing to get! It can indeed be a lil bitch to install (might be handy to grab a guide/manual/whatever from the internet before you do it) but it's incredibly good for the price.

OP
M

Mutaforma

Apr 22, 2015
I use the Cooler Master one. Personally I thought it was a bitch to install but it's great money for the value and even if your fan fails (or is just lazy as fuck as mine) it still has some cooling capacity.
With the cooler and 3 case fans my CPU runs around 40°C in WoW, goes to 60°C in Prime95 after ~10 mins until the fan actually turns on.
So if you think you can install such a cooler, go for it, IMO.
The Hyper Evo 212 is pretty much a no brainer in that price bracket. On the other hand 72°C isn't really that hot (still get the hyper evo :D)

You might get some issues with high profile ram, though, so check the heights.
The Hyper Evo 212 is definitely a good thing to get! It can indeed be a lil bitch to install (might be handy to grab a guide/manual/whatever from the internet before you do it) but it's incredibly good for the price.
I know 72 degrees isn't that hot, could be a lot worse. Still, better safe than sorry. ^^

I went ahead and bought the Noctua NH-D15. It's double the price of the Evo, but I should be able to fit it in, even with high profile ram and the installation should be really easy, as with any Noctua. Considering the NH-D15 is based of the NH-D14, which is considered the best air cooler for the past 4 years, I should also be very set for any upgrades I might make in the future.

I realize this might be overkill, but I tend to always go overkill. :D

Maybe the PC is turning off your mouse/USB port to save energy? Could try different USB ports and check under device manager if something like "Computer may turn off device to save energy" is ticked. For me, it's greyed out for my mouse since disabling it would be rather daft but you never know.
I'm not sure, but you might be able to help the mouse thing by going to your Power Options in control panel and use the high performance plan or a custom plan while playing.
No difference. Every USB port is not allowed to be turned off. I don't have the option for the mouse to be turned off. Mouse software and firmware is up to date. :confused:

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
Mouse Problem

My mouse is disconnecting and only reconnecting when I click it. It's rather annoying and random. The distinct windows sound for connecting/reconnecting plays. I have a hard time believing it's my mouse since it works fine on other devices and it's rather new. I tried yesterday to see if my PSU was misbehaving with a multimeter, but nothing wrong there. It's the same in any USB port but it's only affecting my mouse so far.​
It's a Roccat Kone Pure Optical.​

Again, thoughts?

IIRC it's Windows Defender that blocks the driver from connecting to the mouse. I think people solved it by creating an exception for the driver in it.

OP
M

Mutaforma

Apr 22, 2015
I haven't got Windows Defender activated. Though I did it in BitDefender. It seems the problems is solved. I did do one thing before that and that was to change my mouse to my USB-hub in my screen. So I'm not sure which thing solved it. I am not totally satisfied with it being on the hub cause of potential input-lag.